Next Developer Chat This Friday with Mike Pinkerton

Monday October 25th, 1999

Our next developer chat is this Friday with Mike Pinkerton at 3:00pm PDT (PDT is GMT-0700). Mike will be talking about "Mozilla and Mac - News, issues, and the 'Mozilla in the Mac' user-experience". We had a great chat last week, and this chat should be sure to touch on many of the issues important to Mac users (I'm sure it will be interesting for non-Mac users as well).

The chat will occur at #mozillazine on irc.mozilla.org. If you're not familiar with IRC, and would like to check out the chat, post a request here and I'm sure someone would be able to help you get your IRC client set up. Or, you can just wait for the chat log (which will appear here soon after the chat finishes).

#1 Dang it!

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Monday October 25th, 1999 3:22 PM

Okay, this week is the first week I feel like participating in a chat, rather than just reading the transcript later, and it's the same time as my history class! ARGHH! Can't skip it, got a paper do for that class that day! ACK!

Well everyone else enjoy the chat, back to reading transcripts as usual . . .

<:3)~~

#2 Next Developer Chat This Friday with Mike Pinkerto

by thelem

Monday October 25th, 1999 4:52 PM

This time, instead of createing a new news item for the transcript of the chat etc can we just have it put in updates please? At the moment the only non-chat news is about that new skin.

#3 Next Developer Chat This Friday with Mike Pinkerto

by thelem

Monday October 25th, 1999 4:55 PM

I just realised I can actually go to this chat for once! Just don't expect me to be awake (it is at 11pm BST :-).

You don't really care, do you? :-)

#4 Next Developer Chat This Friday with Mike Pinkerto

by Anon

Monday October 25th, 1999 9:22 PM

No, we don't. :)

#8 irc functions in Mozilla

by Anon

Tuesday October 26th, 1999 12:52 PM

It would be awesome if the irc feature in Mozilla was up and running to use during the developer chats! :o)

- "Url"

#10 Soon

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday October 27th, 1999 6:12 AM

I've been pesterint the appropriate person for a while now and he _promisses_ to get rginda's irc into the nightly builds soon.

#12 Coolness. . .

by url <urlradio@yahoo.com>

Friday October 29th, 1999 3:15 PM

That's cool. It would be great getting a chance to check it out!

#7 Suggestion to Mozillazine Web Master

by dneighbors <derek@forchrist.com>

Tuesday October 26th, 1999 7:58 AM

Perhaps you could make a link in your side bar (that currently has submitArticle, FetchBuilds, chromezone and etc.) that is for DevChatLogs and then have the logs there.

That way those not interested in them don't have to see them interupt the news. : ) But those of us that are interested can still browse them and comment.

This should be fairly easy as it should require minimum coding changes on the backend. Of course this is just an idea.

#11 I think that 'Developer Chats' _are_ news

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday October 27th, 1999 6:14 AM

Please keep the chat and log notices as first level news items.

#5 Mac Mozilla Builds Don't Suck

by Anon

Monday October 25th, 1999 9:33 PM

I recently found myself near a 300mhz G3 and decided to download a mozilla nightly build to see if all the horror stories about the Mac version were true. Load time was normal, operations were responsive, page loading was excellent, and I think there might be fewer UI quirks than on the Linux. Since I'm not a Mac user, I can't attest to its Mac-ness as a program. All in all, I'm not sure what everyone was whining about.

#14 Mac Mozilla Builds Don't Suck

by Anon

Sunday October 31st, 1999 2:18 AM

The Mac-ness of it as a program is *exactly* what everyone has been whining about.

Mac users, more than users of any other platform, expect applications to be consistent with interface guidelines. As soon as you start introducing native widgets, cross-platorm interfaces, and so on, you put that consistency under threat.

-- mpt

#6 Question about building mozilla

by Anon

Tuesday October 26th, 1999 2:14 AM

What does one need to build mozilla. I have an up to date Linux system with gcc-2.95.1 and glibc-2.1.2 and the latest binutils. I can get anything to work, except for mozilla. Some months ago it sometimes worked, but these weeks whenever I update my CVS copy and compile the whole bunch from scratch, and everything crashes right at startup. Seamonkey Tinderbox says it should be fine. Anyone with more success, please give some info about your system.

#9 Question about building mozilla

by Anon

Tuesday October 26th, 1999 4:11 PM

Works for me...

Try removing you .mozilla directory. There are some nasty bugs in gcc-2.95.1, switch to gcc-2.95.2.

#13 Oh where, oh where has is that transcript gone...

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Saturday October 30th, 1999 6:29 PM

I missed the chat, now where's the transcript? Thanx a mil!

<:3)~~

#15 Mac chat transcript

by url <urlradio@yahoo.com>

Sunday October 31st, 1999 11:03 AM

I guess it must've been a busy weekend or something to cause the transcript to be late. I've been wondering about that too.

#16 Another Transcript Request.

by Anon

Wednesday November 3rd, 1999 9:12 PM

I've been waiting on this one since it was announced.

The days just keep going by and there's still no transcript? What's going on? Did nobody attend?

If that's the case it leaves me wondering what kind of support the Mac is getting with the project.

#17 Another Transcript Request.

by FrodoB

Thursday November 4th, 1999 8:15 AM

I would think the delay is due to cleaning up the transcript as suggested in the thread about color-coding and formatting and such.

I was there. I have a log. But it's not formatted nicely. :)