Nokia/Intel's New Set-top and Mozilla

Tuesday October 12th, 1999

The set-top boxes due next year from a new Nokia/Intel venture will run Linux as their core OS, and Mozilla as their browser.

You can read more news in this CNet article, or this article at The Register.

Nokia has thrown its weight behind MHP (Multimedia Home Platform), an open, Java-based standard for set-top boxes, meant to be OS-agnostic. Sony, Philips and Panasonic have also put backing behind the MHP standard.

This is the second piece we've had regarding Nokia and Mozilla. If you recall, Nokia used Mozilla in their tech demo of "MediaScreen".

Thanks to Jedbro and Asa for the news.

#1 Kick ass!

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Tuesday October 12th, 1999 9:48 AM

That rocks. Go Moz! Go Linux! Intel's not too stupid, evidently.

#2 Nokia/Intel's New Set-top and Mozilla

by Anon

Tuesday October 12th, 1999 9:58 AM

would be really nice *if* we had a good JDK/JRE for Linux. Sun makes money off of licensing Java to third-party developers. Since it looks like these developers are starting to use Linux and Java, I can only hope that sun realizes the potential here and actually does something about the rather poor Java support on Linux that exists today.

Here's hoping....

David

#3 Amiga's new OE is built on Linux and Java2/Jini...

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Tuesday October 12th, 1999 12:12 PM

I don't know if the AmigaObjects architecture (Linux kernel, heavy Java-oriented interface) will involve your JDK/JRE thing, but I do know Sun is a partner in Amiga's project (Amiga Technologies LLC is a subsidiary of Gateway). Details should be out within the next few months.

#5 Nokia/Intel's New Set-top and Mozilla

by Anon

Tuesday October 12th, 1999 1:00 PM

there is a good jdk/jre.. the blackdown port runs great.. the kaffe runtime environment works on dozens of platforms including linux..

i wouls personally like to see the jre plugin "activator" it was on blackdown for a while, but now removed.. i run oracle applications release 11, and it limits me to Windows platforms since the Jinitiator is only available for windows, and sun hasn't ported a public copy of the java plugin for linux yet..

what i would do to be able to not boot windows just to debug some gui work on applications 11..

and WHY would oracle use java and limit the client use to windows.. bah.. beats me.

but go mozilla go.. get a good jre/java plugin and i'll be one happy camper

#4 problem with java

by Anon

Tuesday October 12th, 1999 12:37 PM

sun does have a problem with java for linux. Their compiler is slow. So use jikes. Its the runtime that we need for linux. I haven't used kaffe or anything by cygnus yet so I don't know.

#6 I bet C|Net stops slamming Moz v.soon

by Anon

Tuesday October 12th, 1999 1:49 PM

... Did you know Intel is a major investor in C|Net?

Can you guess what will happen, now that Intel has money hanging on Moz?

#7 Yippee!

by jedbro

Tuesday October 12th, 1999 4:40 PM

This is very good news. I just hope Nokia and Intel, stay with this plan.

If I recall correctly, it was once posted here about Nokia wanting to include Mozilla in it's next-generation phones next year right? Was set top box's the outcome of that?

Way to go Nokia, glad to see company's are begining to see the power of mozilla, open source and Linux, even though bad media rap on Mozilla has been frequent!

--Jedbro

#8 Fantastic News

by Anon

Wednesday October 13th, 1999 3:56 AM

EXCELLLENT!

I hoped that manufacturers would see the light of not going with WindowsCE based devices like this. They slowly seem to understand that wrapping themselves in Microsofts chains will hinder them (and innovation in services providable through their equipment)

LINUX/JAVA/MOZ - Killer combo.

(though I still say watch MacOS in this dept...)

#9 Honest question

by BehrQattz <brandon@wave22.com>

Thursday October 14th, 1999 10:37 AM

Now that Intel and Nokia plan on using the Mozilla browser, shouldn't they each assign a couple of programmers to the Mozilla project? Isn't that how the OSS model is supposed to work? I can't imagine that the "freelancers" want to work on this project for free, forever. And I can't imagine AOL/Netscape, NeoPlanet, et al, want to fund developers on the project so that their competitors can use the same technology for free. I'm no OSS expert, so I'd appreciate not being flamed. I just felt the issue needed bringing up... I'd be interested in the answer, if there is one.

#10 Honest question

by BehrQattz <brandon@wave22.com>

Thursday October 14th, 1999 10:42 AM

#11 Nokia/Intel's New Set-top and Mozilla

by BehrQattz <brandon@wave22.com>

Thursday October 14th, 1999 10:43 AM

You can just shoot me for double-posting.