Chat Log Online

Saturday October 2nd, 1999

We don't yet have an archive page for logs of developer chats, but you can get the log of the Nisheeth Ranjan/Vidur Apparao XML/DOM chat by clicking here.

Thanks to Nisheeth and Vidur, and all who participated!

#1 A minor correction

by Anon

Saturday October 2nd, 1999 11:37 PM

When talking about presentational markup, Vidur Apparao said: `<B> and the rest are deprecated in HTML 4.0'.

This is not correct. Much of the presentational markup from HTML 3.2 is deprecated in HTML 4.0, but B is *not* deprecated, and neither are TT, BIG, or SMALL. See <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-…nt/graphics.html#h-15.2.1> .

I'm a *tiny* bit worried that two of the big shots on the Gecko team didn't know this ...

... But not THAT worried. :-)

-- mpt

#6 A minor correction

by Anon

Monday October 4th, 1999 3:30 PM

I'd be a bit worried too, if I were actually a big shot. ;-)

You're right, they aren't deprecated. I actually believe (though I wasn't involved in this) that the decision not to deprecate them was fraught with a fair bit of contention. The compromise to the camp that favored deprecation was the following wording in the HTML 4.0 spec:

"The following HTML elements specify font information. Although they are not all deprecated, their use is discouraged in favor of style sheets."

(see <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-…sent/graphics.html#h-15.2>)

--Vidur

#7 A minor correction to "A minor correction&quo

by vidur

Monday October 4th, 1999 3:39 PM

The link from my previous posting got munged slightly. See: <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-…sent/graphics.html#h-15.2>

--Vidur

#2 Other suggestions for people

by MattyT <matty@box.net.au>

Sunday October 3rd, 1999 1:49 AM

MozAdmin, you asked us after the chat who we thought would be good people to speak to about things in future chats. I think there was an expression of interest in XPFE.

I suggest that a lot of people would want to speak to mozilla.org people such as Mike Shaver, regarding the Mozilla.org setup, behind the scenes and how it is separated from Netscape, especially given certain recent threads. Although you'd better allow 2 hours for this one. =)

You could probably go through the modules and work out some people from each who are willing to participate from each. Then put up a vote for which modules people would like to discuss first. When one is chosen, it should be removed from voting for at least 10 or so chats to give others a chance.

Don't forget the independent people, I imagine PNG and MathML who be great chats.

Maybe you might put yourself up for questions, regarding MZ's history, inner runnings and future. Maybe you could get some good suggestions!

#3 Other suggestions for people

by briank

Sunday October 3rd, 1999 3:51 AM

I'll second that suggestion for an XPFE chat. It would be great to talk to XUL gurus such as Dave Hyatt, although I realise everyone at Mozilla is probably snowed under right now, which we must not forget.

A vote on which topics should be discussed is also an excellent idea.

-Brian

#5 XPFE chat!

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday October 4th, 1999 8:44 AM

If any of them have the time I think that XPFE would be an excellent discussion topic.

#4 Great stuff

by edd <edd@xmlhack.com>

Sunday October 3rd, 1999 11:17 AM

I'm really impressed with the XML & CSS functionality in Mozilla so far.

I've linked the chat log from a story on xmlhack.com: <http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=26>