Jazilla Regains Footing

Tuesday September 14th, 1999

Matthew Schmidt has good news for Java proponents:

"In the last few months, Jazilla has gained speed as the programmers that were involved have regained interest in light of recent motivation and some new interest in the project. Work has begun on an open source pure Java renderer, but the project needs help. Anyone with experience on the Swing Text package or the Swing HTML package is definitely wanted, although we will take anyone who wants to help. Check out the Go Jazillian! website for the latest news and downloads. To offer your help, send a post to newscape.public.mozilla.java. Thanks for your time."

#1 Re: Jazilla Regains Footing

by sdm

Wednesday September 15th, 1999 10:26 AM

I'm still confused as to what the scope of the jazilla project is, and how it relates to mozilla. Is it a rewrite of the browser in java? I guess the real question I'm asking is, will web pages look the same in jazilla as they do in mozilla? Will jazilla have the same standards compliance? Also, where are ther instructions on how to run the .jar file on the Go Jazillian site?

#3 Re: Jazilla Regains Footing

by Anon

Wednesday September 15th, 1999 6:16 PM

Well Jazilla was initially a rewrite (port?) of mozilla to Java, as it progressed, we sorta strayed from that as a straight port was messy and added our own elements, but have retained our alliance to Mozilla. As to rendering HTML pages, Jazilla will, if we could get someone to send us the webshell.dll from the blackwood project. No-one in our program has what is needed to compile that. If anyone compiles that for us, send it to mailto:<mschmidt@duplinnet.com>

As to the instructions for the jar file, I'll put those on there tonight. Thanks for showing me the shortsightedness on my part.

Matt

#2 Jazilla Regains Footing

by Anon

Wednesday September 15th, 1999 11:59 AM

Would be nice if Jazilla will replace the current Mozilla source-tree in far future (>= 5 years)...

#4 Jazilla Regains Footing

by Anon

Wednesday September 15th, 1999 6:17 PM

We'd need many many more volunteers for that to happen. Nice idea though :) Matt

#8 Jazilla Regains Footing

by Anon

Thursday September 16th, 1999 9:20 AM

Actually I see no reason why it couldn't. There is nothing preventing the Java language to be natively compiled. I think it's a great language, and more people should be using it. I'd, personally, like to see some true native compilers out there. It would be great if we could take an entire source tree and optimize it for an arbitrary machine with a simple recompile.

-Aaron

#5 Jazilla Regains Footing

by Anon

Wednesday September 15th, 1999 10:59 PM

This is a dumb question-- but wouldn't it make more sense to wait for mozilla to be done before porting it to java? Or is it basically just a totally different endeavor-- one to write a java browser (and damn the compatibility, etc.)?

#9 Jazilla Regains Footing

by thelem

Thursday September 16th, 1999 11:54 AM

I don't know that much myself, but I don't see why it would. This is not just recompiling source for a new platform remember, it is a total browser rewrite. AFAIK all they can use the exisiting source for is as a guide.

Lemming

#6 A couple of questions

by Anon

Thursday September 16th, 1999 5:26 AM

Firstly: `Jazilla has gained speed has the programmers that were involved have regained interest in light of recent motivation and some new interest in the project.'

Could we have a translation into English, please? Was there a sudden flood of people posting to news:netscape.public.mozilla.java asking for Jazilla, or what?

Secondly: What's up with the jazilla.org Web site -- <http://jazilla.org/> -- which doesn't look as if it's been updated since May? Has the Jazilla code been forked?

-- mpt

#7 A couple of questions

by Anon

Thursday September 16th, 1999 9:17 AM

My impression was that in the beginning there was a handful of people basically doing everything at once from scratch. Recently there has been an increasing trickle of volunteers and amount of effort people have been able to put into any one aspect of the project, now that it has basically been "bootstrapped".

Yes the jazilla.org site is old and outdated. Yes a new one is coming real soon.

-Aaron

#10 A couple of questions

by Anon

Thursday September 16th, 1999 6:27 PM

I suppose the type did make it a bit more difficult to read. Normally I don't write that badly. Sorry. To answer your last question, no the Jazilla code has not been forked. It is very much alive and well and progressing steadily (if not slowly).

Matt