New NGLayout Build Online!

Monday September 21st, 1998

Two new NGLayout builds (standard and debug) are online for Win32 systems. These are dated September 20th (the last was September 10th).

To get there click on fetchBuilds at right.

Just a quick note: I downloaded the standard build and ran it, chose Javascript Console from the Tools menu, and my machine froze mightily. So don't say you haven't been warned!

#1 Re:New NGLayout Build Online!

by Josh Go <!nospam-joshuago@penguincomputing.com>

Monday September 21st, 1998 9:12 PM

Sorry to be ignorant, but what exactly does NGLayout do? How are the builds used right now? I've read that it's a new layout engine, so are these builds of Mozilla with the new layout engine implemented?

#2 Re:New NGLayout Build Online!

by Jason Kersey <kerz@en.com>

Tuesday September 22nd, 1998 12:07 AM

NGLayout is the 6.0, 5.5, or 5.1 layout engine that is the major upgrade to the current layout engine mariner. The builds are just to test the actual output/display of NG. It is mozilla with only a layout engine. It has back and forward buttons only, but is fun to use cause its real close to the w3 standards now.

#3 Re:New NGLayout Build Online!

by Joe Drew <hoserhead@bigfoot.com>

Tuesday September 22nd, 1998 12:20 AM

Don't forget that NGLayout is fast. Fast, fast, fast. Faster than Mozilla, and FAR faster than Communicator 4.x. Let's put it this way: Segfault.org rendered in <1 second, while Netscape does it in about 6, and Mozilla in 1-2.

#4 Re:New NGLayout Build Online!

by George Giannukos <beg1@netscape.net>

Tuesday September 22nd, 1998 12:34 PM

how fast does IE load segfault.org??

#5 Re:New NGLayout Build Online!

by Aleks <awz@home.com>

Tuesday September 22nd, 1998 7:41 PM

I compared IE4 (Win98) and NGLayout using the test pages that come with NGLayout. I loaded them into NGLayout and IE4 and resized and moved the windows and stuff. For most of the demos you can't tell the difference on my P2-333/400 with ATI 3D Rage. However, for the table "stress test" and the resized animated GIF, NGLayout was much faster than IE4. IE4 almost froze my machine while the animated gif was on, but NGLayout kept chugging. The tables refreshed very slowly on IE4 when I resized the window, and NGLayout was faster there.

I don't have numbers, but I think for most pages the difference between IE4 and NGLayout is not very noticable, and NGLayout beats IE4 on complex pages.

#6 Re:New NGLayout Build Online!

by Angus Davis <angus@netscape.com>

Thursday September 24th, 1998 12:23 PM

I just wanted to chime in on the "What's the difference between NGLayout and Mozilla?" question. Mozilla is a browser with all sorts of browser stuff like bookmarks, etc. NGLayout is a layout engine. NGLayout is not really an "upgrade" to Mariner (the old layout engine work) per se, because in the future, the way a browser will be built is around and atop the NGLayout framework. So, in many ways, it's more than an upgrade or a simple new layout engine ... it's the foundation for future versions of Mozilla.

And yes, it's pretty darn fast! I'd personally prefer to see Opera speed comparisons rather than IE.

If you want to help in this effort, please visit the NGLayout site on Mozilla.org at: <http://www.mozilla.org/nglayout/>

Soon the builds will be pushed regularly to <ftp://ftp.mozilla.org.>... soon, I promise :-)