New 'Credits' Page at Mozilla.org

Friday August 27th, 1999

Dawn Endico has just posted to mozilla.org a "credits" page which lists contributors to Mozilla. Eventually, the page will come up when you type about:credits in the Mozilla location field. In Dawn's posting to the mozilla.seamonkey newsgroup, she writes, "I created the page by compiling a list of 614 email addresses. These came from the list of people with cvs access, people who are credited by their email addresses in the cvs checkin logs, and people who have submitted attachments to bugzilla. People whose names I already had were added directly to the list... At the end, I added some friends of the tree from the weekly status update and now have 544 names. (309 with cvs access 160 from the cvslog, and 70 from bugzilla)."

Pretty impressive list, I'd say. If you feel that you have been left of the list, or another important contributor is missing, there are instructions on how to submit a new name at the bottom of the credits page.

#1 I want my name on there...

by ERICmurphy <murphye@gmail.com>

Friday August 27th, 1999 8:19 PM

I want my name on there, but I don't deserve it.

I was suprised that testcase people made it onto the list too, I figured something like this would just be for the programmers.

--Eric

#2 I want my name on there...

by Anon

Friday August 27th, 1999 9:58 PM

By your reasoning Netscape QA wouldn't 'deserve' to be listed as 'contributors.' Now, this makes absolutely no sense. I think that anyone who has put a lot of time into the bug system, as in filing bugs, marking bugs as dups, or making testcase for existing bugs is an important contributor. After all, people on the net who do who do those things are doing for free what some Netscape employees are paid to do.

My name is on the list, and I certainly think it deserves to be, even though I've not contributed one line of C++.

#5 You are right

by ERICmurphy <murphye@gmail.com>

Sunday August 29th, 1999 10:21 PM

You are right, but if they put every person on there who contributed a bug report, it would be too long to really mean anything. Or would it?

You have to admit, the major task of Mozilla is coding, whether it be new code, or fixing old code.

Whatever, let it be.

#3 Surprisingly, I was on the credit list

by Anon

Sunday August 29th, 1999 2:45 PM

All the work I did was on the Mozilla Classic. And was dumped when they changed to NGLayout. Well, let's see if I will contribute again. I am not very fond of putting work into something that is flushed down the toilet.

I think it's better to limit the credit list to people who contributed substantially.

It seems (from the mozilla ng:s) that everyone and his brother wants to be on the credit list. Take my place then, I don't deserve it.

#4 New 'Credits' Page at Mozilla.org

by sdm

Sunday August 29th, 1999 5:16 PM

about:authors

let's make sure it doesn't turn into that.

#6 what about the linux credit method?

by Anon

Monday August 30th, 1999 7:31 AM

With the linux source code there is a credits file that contains: Name, Contact method, and "area of work"... This alows people that want to submit recommendations and changes to send to the right people... or if someone is looking to hire a good 'test case' developer they can find him/her in the mozilla credits.

Just my two cents :)