Netscape CDs Free In UK

Wednesday August 25th, 1999

Colin Geer writes, "Did you get the news about Netscape being distributed by AOL in shops in the UK as part of their New Netscape online service? I think it's a cool development. There's an article on ZDNet about it. It's the start of free Netscape CDs for millions!".

#1 Netscape 4 vs. IE3

by jmissig <x-virge@shafe.com>

Wednesday August 25th, 1999 6:22 PM

At least Netscape 4's better than IE3. I hate having to script everything for IE3 just so AOL users can see my sites.

#2 Netscape 4 vs. IE3

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Wednesday August 25th, 1999 8:01 PM

AOL uses IE4 now, don't they?

#4 AOL

by jmissig <x-virge@shafe.com>

Wednesday August 25th, 1999 9:05 PM

Not the AOL users I've run into...

#10 AOL 3.0 uses IE3, AOL 4.0 uses IE4 n/t

by Anon

Thursday August 26th, 1999 10:17 AM

n/t

#13 Then more AOL users should upgrade (NT)

by jmissig <x-virge@shafe.com>

Thursday August 26th, 1999 12:57 PM

I have yet to run into an AOL 4 user, then.

#18 It is

by Anon

Thursday August 26th, 1999 10:36 PM

I am using AOL now and it says under browser version: MSIE 4.72.3612.1713

#17 AOL versions

by k3davis

Thursday August 26th, 1999 5:07 PM

I have seen AOL 4.0 in my server logs running IE3. I don't think this is ubiquitously true.

#3 I want one!!!

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Wednesday August 25th, 1999 8:04 PM

Give me Netscape Online or give me death! Honestly, I don't think the U.S. will get anything similar (and definitely not for free) until after 5.0 (Decemberish) is out, or at least until final judgement in the Microsoft anti-trust trial (Novemberish). But I want it when it comes out! Maybe then I can use SmartDownload and not have the damned "infobrowser", at least.

#14 Infobrowser

by thelem

Thursday August 26th, 1999 1:33 PM

You have to remember Netscape Online ISP is not actually free, it makes money from a cut of the phone calls (which vary from 0.7-5 pence a minute depending on telco and time of day). But these are local call charges which you get with all ISPs.

As from the infobrowser, you can simply use the ALT+F4 shortcut to close it, or if you are running windowblinds ( <http://www.windowblinds.net/> ) the the close button works.

Lemming, <http://www.lemnet.com/> < My site

#5 Great, more coffee mats courtesy of AOL

by locka <adamlock@eircom.net>

Thursday August 26th, 1999 2:38 AM

Apparently it's not enough that AOL stick one of their stupid CDs on every UK magazine, now they're going to do the same with this new service. And in shops.

How many of these CDs actually get used? I wouldn't think more than 5% of them. Than means for every CD used, 19 get thrown in the bin.

What a waste.

#7 Great, more coffee mats courtesy of AOL

by jlondon

Thursday August 26th, 1999 3:19 AM

Well.. the thing is it's AOLs first move into the Free ISP movement, that has seen over 100 startups in the UK in the last year. That with tie-ins with the Kingfisher group for ecommerce, and AOLs content, it will immediately be on a par with the big one, Freeserve. And if they can add the nice little add ons, like freeserves email over the phone, + extras, they could be onto a winner.

#11 Big move towards NS

by Anon

Thursday August 26th, 1999 10:18 AM

And thus, I don't mind the coasters.

#23 Great, more coffee mats courtesy of AOL

by Ben_Goodger

Saturday August 28th, 1999 7:16 AM

if only CD was a fully rewritable medium. or AOL gave out blank CDR CDs. How come those things are so cheap and yet AOL hands these things out as if they were worth nothing?

In the old days when some company gave you something on a floppy disk, you could format and use the floppy.

#6 Jobs?

by jlondon

Thursday August 26th, 1999 3:16 AM

Say.. anyone know if they're taking on Staff for the UK service? Now there's a job!

#8 Hmmm

by davefiddes

Thursday August 26th, 1999 3:57 AM

This would be a good thing if Netscapes current browser offering wasn't so naff...

However, when Nav5.0 comes out it'll be a great way of thrusting it into peoples hands at every opportunity....

#9 Netscape Online in the US?

by jedbro

Thursday August 26th, 1999 8:14 AM

What would you guys think about Netscape Online in the US, if it does well in the UK? Not that AOL would go for this, but it is feasible.

Altavista did it, it would be a great chance for Netscape to get back in to the publics eye and A great way to market off Netscape 5.0 and what it can (will a able to do) With My Netscape!

#12 Netscape Online in the US?

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday August 26th, 1999 10:21 AM

As I mentioned above, I would be there. But it's likely not to be free over here, and probably not likely til after December or so, when Nav 5.0 is out. They'll have to have a quality offering over here or it won't do well, none of this "completely free but bombarded with advertising whether you like it or not" stuff.

#15 Netscape Online in the US?

by thelem

Thursday August 26th, 1999 1:41 PM

Netscape Online carries *NO ADVERTISING*. They make their money from the phone calls - I persoanlly pay around 40 per month form 'free' internet access. The only uk ISP to carry advertising is X-Stream <http://www.x-stream.co.uk/> which provides free phone calls during certain weekends.

Lemming (lemnet.com)

#16 www.netscapeonline.co.uk doesn't work with NS 3.04

by Anon

Thursday August 26th, 1999 4:32 PM

I've just e-mailed Netscape Online about the fact that all of <http://www.netscapeonline.co.uk/'s> Web pages generate 6 JavaScript error dialogue boxes with...guess what browser...?

Yep, Netscape 3.04 !! Bit of a major embarrassment that - brand it as Netscape and it doesn't work with one of their releases of that brand's browser...

#20 So upgrade n/t

by Anon

Thursday August 26th, 1999 11:00 PM

n/t

#22 It is worse with Netscape 2

by thelem

Friday August 27th, 1999 11:18 AM

Not only does it generate these errors, but it totally crashes the browser - even with JavaScript disabled. Don't ask me how I it does this but it has happened on three computers, all running 2.02. I cannpt upgrade these as they are the school systems, besides they are Macintosh Centris 610, I don't think they even released Netscape 4.6 for this platform.

#24 Re: So upgrade

by Anon

Monday August 30th, 1999 10:48 AM

Ah yes, upgrade to Netscape 4.X series, which uses twice as much RAM, takes twice as long to startup, has a worse user interface than the 3.X series and works dismally on UNIX 256-colour displays (colour- drained palette, with or without "-install" !!).

Nope, 3.04 is a better browser to use for navigating and it's why I'm waiting for the 5.0 beta (Milestone 13 ?), which should hopefully finally get the browser back on track.

Anyway, it is still very poor of AOL to launch a Netscape-branded site that simply doesn't work on the previous major release of their current Netscape browser ! Why should I be forced to upgrade to visit one site ? That's a poor response to the current rather disastrous state of <http://www.netscapeonline.co.uk>

#19 Excerpt from Bizweek article:

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday August 26th, 1999 10:56 PM

By creating Netscape.com, AOL is creating another new channel in cyberspace--in addition to its core service, CompuServe, Digital Cities, and ICQ, which enables international chat. The latest flavor is aimed at daytime Web surfers who log on from work and at Net aficionados who are too sophisticated for AOL. Netscape.com will be sold with Internet access, giving AOL its splashiest Web brand. Simultaneously, Netscape will release a new browser with direct links to features on the Netcenter portal, such as online shopping and entree to cyber-meeting halls.

The new Netcenter site will benefit from a major makeover. During business hours, the site will be focused on workplace needs. Business users, for example, could use Netscape's new browser to directly connect to new virtual communities that AOL will create, such as a virtual bazaar to sell and exchange goods and services. But after working hours, the site will take on another personality entirely, morphing into a leisure-oriented hangout, drawing on the programming already offered by AOL. ''We are trying to provide a Web service that can help workers manage their business and personal lives in one location,'' says an AOL executive.

#21 It can't be - aol acknowledging the ROW

by danielhill <danielhill@hotmail.com>

Friday August 27th, 1999 12:23 AM

does this mean that, shock horror, maybe an Australian version of NS5??

Nah. Even though us Aussies are wiping the floor with you yanks in swimming, and the biggest sporting event ever will be held here, we'll never see Netscape cater for Australa.

Oh well. {sigh} back to NineMSN