New Poll!!

Thursday July 8th, 1999

That's right. You didn't think it was ever gonna happen (I had my doubts as well). This poll was requested by people at mozilla.org. It's for Linux users only - they're trying to get an idea of which distributions are used. If you don't see yours listed, respond in the poll's forum.

#1 General Errata

by wheezy

Thursday July 8th, 1999 5:44 PM

You might want to remove "General Errata" from the Redhat choices :)

#2 I use Mandrake 6.0 (Venus)

by bmetzler <bmetzler@pluto.twistedpair.net>

Thursday July 8th, 1999 8:24 PM

Actually, I use Mandrake 6.0 (Venus) but I put RedHat 6.0 as my choice in the poll. It's close enough but maybe you should add Mandrake as an option.

Actually, I also have RedHat6.0 and SuSE 6.1. RedHat, IMHO was really bad, I was disappointed. I tried SuSE 6.1, but it had so much stuff it was overwelming. So I went back to Mandrake where it had only the stuff I was interested in :-)

Actually, I'm also interested in Debian and Slackware, but I only have old copies of those, and have gotten copies of the latest images yet.

Brent Metzler

#3 RE:I use Mandrake 6.0 (Venus)

by jfulmer

Thursday July 8th, 1999 9:31 PM

Oh, I don't know. 6.0 wasn't much over 5.2 (except for the pain of Glibc2.1), but it works well on my Toshiba.

Of course, I didn't install it until last week, after 110MB of patches had come out for it... :)

#13 I use Mandrake 6.0 (Venus)

Friday July 9th, 1999 3:40 PM

S.u.S.E. Linux is quiet popular in Europe (might be in USA as well .. don't know exactly) ... so I'd prefer it on S.u.S.E Linux as well as on RedHat and OpenLinux ,)

Simon Wunderlin

#4 New Poll!!

Friday July 9th, 1999 6:12 AM

Mandrake 6.0 is what I use. I think you should add it to the list. The biggest differance I see between RedHat 6.0 and Mandrake is the price. And I just can't support Free software that costs $78.00. I'll pay the $29.00 for Mandrake though. My RedHat days are over.

#5 New Poll!!

Friday July 9th, 1999 8:02 AM

I use Suse 6.1

#6 SlackWare!!

Friday July 9th, 1999 8:51 AM

Come on, make this go on slackware. I know you can do it!

#27 SlackWare!!

Thursday July 15th, 1999 9:26 AM

Slackware ...Slackware ...Slackware

#7 New Poll!!

by dannyboy_h

Friday July 9th, 1999 9:51 AM

Yes, Slackware is still out there, folks.

Now, I know that Redhat is popular, but that many choices for it? Sheesh.

#8 NG AMIGA TO USE LINUX KERNEL!

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Friday July 9th, 1999 9:55 AM

New news at Amiga.com! I don't know whether to weep or shout for joy!

#9 Mostly Debian on one, Caldera 2.2 on the other!

Friday July 9th, 1999 10:25 AM

My developmental box is a mostly Debian box with various slink/potato pieces mixed in with stuff from RPM's elsewhere and various source/binary tarballs. (I know-I'm not helping dpkg in the least!). My stable box runs Caldera 2.2

#10 Redhat 6.0

Friday July 9th, 1999 12:55 PM

2 RH 6.0 Boxes with the mandatory RPM updates

#11 YADU

Friday July 9th, 1999 12:58 PM

Yet Another Debian User

#12 OpenLinux 2.2

Friday July 9th, 1999 1:03 PM

Strange thing, every time I say I use Caldera, I get a bunch of "But RedHat...." OK, RedHat has it's merits, but I prefere Caldera OpenLinux. I am actually fed up with all those DB vendors that support ONLY RH!

#14 RH 6.0 here, but i'm pretty newbie to linux

Friday July 9th, 1999 4:08 PM

i use RH 6.0... upgraded my stable 5.2 to 6.0, mostly for the improved .SMB support i had heard of. just got mozilla, so i don't have much to offer.. notice that in W98 popup windows are transparent, until i drag them to second monitor and back.

#15 Test

Friday July 9th, 1999 5:11 PM

So far so good.

#16 SUSe user

Friday July 9th, 1999 11:20 PM

I've used RedHat 5.2 for several months, but Suse distributions are very impressive! The Suse Office package was great; now I've upgraded to SUSe 6.1

#17 Debian

Saturday July 10th, 1999 12:37 AM

The free alternative! Vitux out of .dk

#18 Multiple Debian

Saturday July 10th, 1999 9:05 AM

I use debian on seven machines. Tried slackware, SUSe and RedHat (more than once) but found debian's packaging system to be far more powerful. Debian's "inplace" upgrading works and when done properly even the drastic changes such as that major libc change was handled. Haven't tried mozilla on the non-intel platforms yet though.

#19 Debian

Saturday July 10th, 1999 10:02 AM

I tried Slackware and RedHat before. For consistency, painless upgrades and solid system administration, nothing beats Debian.

#20 Live streaming Slack.

Saturday July 10th, 1999 11:08 AM

Slackware. Even if you build glibc, putting it in a slackware package isn't that difficult. Slack has the runtime libs for it.

#21 i don't use linux

Saturday July 10th, 1999 12:05 PM

... why isn't there an option for non linux users?

#22 i don't use linux

Saturday July 10th, 1999 3:19 PM

Easy.. because in the news it says 'This poll is for linux users'

Besides which, you don't know what you're missing! =)

YADU (Yet another Debian User) and a real meat and Potato kinda guy ;)

#23 LinuxPPC

by elness <mike.elness@pobox.com>

Saturday July 10th, 1999 11:24 PM

Normally I use Mac OS 8.6, but I also use LinuxPPC Releast 5 (AKA LinuxPPC 1999) on my Power Mac. Since there are no LinuxPPC builds of Mozilla, my Mozilla experimentation is limited to using the MacOS version.

Another freakin' Mac user,

Mike Elness <mike.elness@pobox.com>

#24 A Recent SuSE Convert

Sunday July 11th, 1999 12:19 PM

Just migrated from RedHat 5.2 to SuSE 6.1 yesterday, and I'm pretty impressed. SuSE's packages are organised and documented better than RedHat's are. Caveat: I havn't checked out RedHat 6.0, so I can't directly compare the latest versions. I'm happy with SuSE so far.

#25 RH 5.2, soon to be 6.0, Debian slink

Monday July 12th, 1999 5:58 AM

RH 5.2 (soon to be 6.x), experimenting Debian slink. About 15 machines, most in production environments. 'Nuff said.

Cheers, alf

#26 Debian potato

Tuesday July 13th, 1999 2:32 AM

I like the way it updates itself automagically from the net

#28 The Slack is back!

Thursday July 15th, 1999 4:29 PM

4 pentium boxes running Slack 4.0, I've tried RH 5 and 6, SuSe, Caldera 1.3, but Slack rules for stability, ease of setup and configuration! (ever tried to decipher RH's /etc/rc.d mess?)

#29 I want FreeBSD suport