Full Article Attached The Animation Contest Is Now Closed!

Thursday July 1st, 1999

Thanks to everyone who entered, and everyone that voted. The winner is Klaus Malorny of Germany, with this animation:

Klaus also won second place (see update below), followed by Marc Stoecker and Phil Moliner's entry in third, and Tomi Sarvela in fourth place. We will soon have prize information up, as well as a gallery of all animations for public viewing.

Again, thanks to all for their participation! We have some other contest ideas that we are mulling over, and we'll have information for you soon...

UPDATE: Well, incredibly (but not surprisingly), while attempting to turn off the voting mechanism, I managed to completely wipe out the vote. However, we did have the winners already decided, so I don't feel *too* bad (just dumb). On another note, Klaus Malorny, the winner of both first and second places in the contest, has generously offered to give up the second-place prize, so the second-place winner is now Marc Stoecker and Phil Moliner, with Tomi Sarvela in third.

UPDATE (2): Edwin Woudt of the Grendel (Java Mail/News) team managed to pull the results page from his cache. A few results came in after the contest closed (I think there were 958 total), but the final result is the same. Click "Full Article" below to see them.

#1 Re:The Animation Contest Is Now Closed!

by Anon

Monday July 5th, 1999 12:33 PM

Cool. Anyone tested the image with 16 color or grayscale displays (only a compatibility issue - important colors should be the first in a GIF's palette).

And mozillaZine's talkback works again :-)

#2 Go Klaus!

by Cynic

Monday July 5th, 1999 5:20 PM

Well now the Contest's closed I expect we can discuss the irrationality of everyone else's choices and the supreme divinity of my selection =)

Actually I was kind of hoping that the second KM one would go through, it was excellent. Although, I suspect, politically incorrect (5-pointed stars have connotations of Satanism, devil-worship, communism and hey, even "Muslim Terrorists"). Still, the final winner is a phenomenally brilliant throbber, and congratulations to KM for coming up with it!

I know how hard it is to create a throbber, I tried to in POVRay but sticking to less than 256 colors??! Hard, when your rendered image is designed for 24-bit colors. Klaus and the other who entered this contest must be quite talented.

-=Yusuf=-

PS My other favorite was the dino head moving up and down next to Mozilla blocks .... hypnotic ....

#3 Re:The Animation Contest Is Now Closed!

by arielb

Monday July 5th, 1999 7:39 PM

this is a nice one-I guess it won because it matches that purple chrome that I hate so much :)

Still, it's a nice throbber and was my second choice

#4 Re:The Animation Contest Is Now Closed!

by Anon

Tuesday July 6th, 1999 12:32 AM

I liked the crawling gecko..

So there.

#5 Re:The Animation Contest Is Now Closed!

by Dotan

Tuesday July 6th, 1999 2:12 AM

Yeah, the crawling Gecko rocked. It was a cute repetitive animation that didn't try to be a 30 frame feature, wasn't tied into any chrome scheme and wouldn't get on your nerves after an hour of looking at it.

KM's designs were nice (I preferred the star, his 2nd-place entry), but too tied to the chrome scheme IMHO.

The "yellow m / stompin' dino" & the "Mozilla that ate the world" were also nice, but they look more like trailer than throbber material. The "yellow m" & the Gecko probably made the best use of the limited palette.

The throbbers with Mozilla marching past the city skyline were hypnotic, but gave me motion sickness.

Anyway, congratulations to the winners. I bow in humility before everyone who had the courage and skill to participate.

#6 Re:The Animation Contest Is Now Closed!

by ryuzi

Tuesday July 6th, 1999 5:18 AM

Congratulations,Klaus.

I'd like to wating next contest.

Now,I want a symbol of Mozilla and his related sites,like a banner for link.

#7 Re:The Animation Contest Is Now Closed!

by Quelish

Wednesday July 7th, 1999 2:08 PM

So when does the winner start showing up in the daily builds??

#8 Re:Incorporation of new throbber in SeaMonkey

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday July 8th, 1999 7:34 AM

Has anyone done any follow up on new throbber inclusion in the nightlies? I didn't see any bugs filed. If I don't hear anything today I'll post a bug tonight. It'd be nice to have it there for the new milestone. Would this belong to Hyatt?

#9 The Gecko

by Anon

Friday July 9th, 1999 8:58 PM

...IMNSHO the Gecko was the best. Imagine it with transparencies, so it crawled over the chrome colour...