Mozilla M7 is Out

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999

John Thacker writes, "M7 builds are on the ftp server, although not reported on the mozilla.org web pages."

Also check out the release notes and get the tarball if you're interested in the source (the source code is not yet at the ftp server, but that's where it's supposed to go).

#1 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 1:08 AM

Any one can tell me that does Mozilla can send E-mail and Read News Group without Netscape Communicator? I have write the prefs.js correctly but still can't send E-mail and read news group......

#2 Disappear Hover Button

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 1:35 AM

No change to the "Back","Forward" and "Stop" when on mouse Hover

#3 Re:Third-party Work on New Menubar for Mozilla

by Ben_Goodger

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 4:02 AM

but the customise sidebar window has some stuff in it now!

#4 Re:

by asa

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 6:20 AM

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO REPORT BUGS.

If something in your binary seems broken or not to function properly please visit the Frequent Bugs page at http://www.mozilla.org/quality/most-frequent-bugs/ If you see your bug there and you have something constructive to add to it go to Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ to post. Posting bugs here does little to get them fixed.

Also, please read the Release Notes and Known Issues at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/release-notes/m7.html before posting questions/bugs here or at Bugzilla.

#5 Discussion on M7

by bergie

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 8:21 AM

There is also discussion about the Mozilla M7 going on at Slashdot:

#6 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by arielb

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 10:15 AM

ok posting via M7 win32 talkback

#7 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by arielb

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 10:16 AM

yay I can test the new wallet feature

#8 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 11:29 AM

Does anybody know when email/news is going to be configurable graphically, instead of by editing those crazy "*.js" files?

#9 Re: email/news

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 12:00 PM

I hear in the newsgroups that a simple wizard is right around the corner.

#10 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 12:08 PM

Is the Composer/Editor part of the M7 release?...and if so what improvements/features does it have over NS 4.6 ?

#11 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 12:35 PM

BUG!

if you open a second window and then try to follow a link from the page that you pointed that second window to (in this case, http://lwn.net/daily/), or even if you try to do an "about communicator prototype" to get to a page in order to submit a bug report, you're stuck. You can't leave that page!

Besides that, things seem to be rendered correctly. Keep on the good work!

bruno majewski bruno@pubnix.qc.ca

#12 Re: Mozilla M7 is Out

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 4:50 PM

Other than the fact that 1) the browser is very slow 2) font size is screwed up on pages like this one (yes my Xserver's dpi setting is wrong but I am using GECKO_FONT_SIZE_FACTOR and 3) I can't post to this form using mozilla, I am still very impressed by Mozilla. Not only is the rendering fast, Chinese, Japanese actually work correctly now! Kudos to the mozilla team!

#13 Send E-mail in M7

by fung

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 5:44 PM

Anyone can Send E-mail in M7? Plz answer me if you tried to send E-mail in M7 and successed.

#14 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 6:42 PM

Ok, I'm kind of peeved... I just loaded MozillaZine with IE5 and what do I see? MozillaZine has an IE5 icon! I'm not talking about the merits of this features, but it strikes me as kind of unsettling that MozillaZine has an IE5-specific feature. I'm getting M7 as I type this and it better have the icon capability or else...

#15 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by mozineAdmin

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 6:50 PM

MozillaZine has an IE icon because of a well-known exploit which could open up our site to attack if we didn't have the icon. Jason brought it to my attention, and we decided it was best to have an icon instead of letting ourselves open to the exploit.

I don't have a link to information about the bug offhand. I think there's something on Microsoft's website about it. Sorry I can't give you more info, but it happened over a month ago. If Jason reads this, maybe he can fill you in.

#16 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 6:54 PM

Thanks for the response. It is kind of weird that you have to add an icon to protect yourself from a bug. How do you add the icon anyways, is it a specific tag, some javascript, or what? Does it at least claim to be a W3C-submitted spec, or is it totally MS proprietary?

#17 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by mozineAdmin

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 7:03 PM

It's MS proprietary as far as I know. The bug, from what I recall, can allow people to view the usage logs of a website, or something incredibly stupid like that.

It's just an image that resides on the server with a specific name that IE looks for.

#18 This sounds fishy

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 7:11 PM

How can a feature of the client expose the server? If this is true it's a server bug.

#19 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by Tanaaln

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 7:38 PM

YES! This one works on my computer! (and the peasants rejoiced... yay.) Needless to say, I really like it, though the underlined buttons when you highlight them the underline goes out past the button, and the back, forward, and stop buttons are messed up, but it loads pages! (I think you already know I'm very excited... but if you didn't, I AM!) Keep up the good work! I might actually learn how to use XUL now...

Scott

#20 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by Kaoslord

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 8:29 PM

Looks pretty damn goood if you ask me, still no carshes yet and its looking pretty good, i dont like all this lavander colors everywhere though... all it needs now is an auto component update feature like realplayer G2 anyone seen that? it automaticlly updates components. no need to download 500k app just the 20k component, thats what mozilla really needs.

the server big thing? whats with that? i added an icon to my site just to get the cool favorites trick with IE5 users but it shouldnt have anything to do with anything, that makes no sence whatsoever

#21 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by mozineAdmin

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 8:47 PM

Well, this is something, but not what I was looking for. Apparently a "malformed" favorites icon could be used maliciously to grab data and run code on a client's computer...

I'm still looking for the access log thang. I'll probably have to get Jason to clear up the issue.

#22 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by kerz

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 9:07 PM

Bug 1 was that you could use a search engine to search for favicon.ico or whatever the title of it was, and it would show weblogs of sites that don't have it.

Since IE5 querys every site for it, and most don't have it, it shows up in weblogs as a missing item. So, you can search it quite easily, find the weblogs of sites, then use the logs to see pages that the site ops may not want you to see.

Bug 2 was that a malformed icon could be a virus, I think...

Jason Kersey, mozadmin2

#23 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by Theran

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 9:49 PM

I really, really, really wish a build was available for us running Linux on a lowly 586. I tried building it from source once, but that was more pain than it was worth.

#24 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by arielb

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 10:00 PM

stupid IE nonsense-they make a bug so everyone has a proprietary icon? very weird

#25 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by Tekhir

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 11:27 PM

I know the feeling Theran, my bro's old mac( which he gave to my dad) can only run MacOS 8.1 and my dad's computer only runs Win 3.11. So he won't be able to use any Mozilla. Until its ported.

#26 Favicon.ico "security risk"

Thursday June 24th, 1999 2:47 AM

Curious about the mention of the IE5 "security bug" related to the IE-only site icon, I dug up this: http://lists.essential.org/random-bits/msg00071.html Essentially, the point is that since IE5 makes requests for a known file (favicon.ico) each time you add a site to your favorites in IE5, this request will show up in web site access logs, so you can use this as a search term to find sites which expose their access logs on the web. The point is, the security risk to your site only exists if you publish your access log, which is a generally silly thing to do, both for security and business reasons.

Cheers, Dotan.

#27 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Thursday June 24th, 1999 8:47 AM

I was able to use M7 one time only after that it cannot connect even in my NT4, In M6 I have no problem, I am responding to talback with M6. I cannot make M7 to connect and I think it has much bug than the previous version.Is there any who can help.

#28 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Thursday June 24th, 1999 10:41 AM

If this bug does a search for favicon.ico, wouldn't it show BOTH the actual icon file you setup AND the entry in the log for it? I'm just not sure how creating this icon can protect you from this.

#29 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by zontar

Thursday June 24th, 1999 12:28 PM

Lookin' good... I see the status bar is hooked up now... nice to be able to see where links lead to...

JS support is much improved, in particular document.write() seems to be working 100% or close to it now.

The importation of a new bookmark(s).htm(l) file is now working for me in Win95 -- however, I recommend that, rather than trying to use a complete copy of your existing Netscape bookmarks, you edit one down in size considerably... when I tried to use mine (~150K), it took about 5 minutes for Moz to boot up, and it ran slower than molasses. I am now using a cut-down version that's about 25K and it's working great. :-)

Only negative thing I have to say is that the functioning of the arrow and pgUp/pgDn keys, fixed in M6, is now messed up again -- you pretty much have to use the mouse to move around in a page.

Moz continues to rock. :-)

BTW, thanks for the tip about the fav.ico exploit -- our logs aren't (supposed to be) accessible, but I'll make an icon and stick it up there, just in case.

#30 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Friday June 25th, 1999 9:40 AM

Does anybody know when the right mouse button menu is going to be hooked up? That's basically the only thing that keeps me from using M7 all the time.

Also, it would be really nice if the notification component worked (I'm kinda sick of that "barber" bar)

#31 favicon and status pages

Friday June 25th, 1999 10:43 AM

This is kinda back off topic, i'm sorry, but i wanted to say that I can not think of any search engines that would be able to find your logs and index them unless you actually have a link the search engine can use to get to your logs. I can't imagine having the logs accessible, to begin with, but with most search engines, favicon.ico returns barely any things like logs and such.

#32 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

by Lynggaard

Friday June 25th, 1999 3:54 PM

Hey MozAdmin :-)

how is the bandwidth situation ?? are we totally blocking everyone else out or what ?

the speed seems okay from here

#33 Re:Mozilla M7 is Out

Friday June 25th, 1999 4:22 PM

Seems like a silly question but...

How do i subscribe to newsgruops in m7 ? I can get the servers listed okay

#34 linux-i686

by cenderis

Sunday June 27th, 1999 9:37 AM

Actually, the linux-i686 binaries seem to work fine on my K6-2 (a 586 class processor). I suspect it's just the number that's wrong.