Bezilla Nears M7

Monday June 21st, 1999

So, you wanna see how the BeOS port is progressing? Well, this screenshot says it all. Addressbook, Messenger, Flash panels - they're making really impressive progress.

Thanks to arielb and Zeljko Blace for the news

#1 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by Anon

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 5:50 AM

Is anyone working on an ATARI version? How about the ADAM or TRS-80?

#2 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by SomeSmartAss

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 7:07 AM

There was talk of porting it to tele-tubby tummies ;)

#3 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by Anon

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 7:09 AM

"How about the ADAM"

How about just porting to the Apple ][ intead of that lousy exuse for a clone. ColecoVision ROCKED(!!!) But that was a huge marketing mistake.

#4 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by Ben_Goodger

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 7:19 AM

Here here. I'm too poor for a set top box, and I'd really appreciate it if someone would make a version fit onto a Master System II cart. Then I could fill out these forms with a groovy letter-by-letter selector a la FF7.

#5 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by sdm

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 7:45 AM

Watch out, there's a new browser for the Atari as well: <http://browserwatch.inter…/story/news-990621-9.html>

#6 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by BehrQattz <brandon@wave22.com>

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 10:22 AM

Looks good. Does Be have any developers (official or unofficial) working on this? They should. I feel the completion of Bezilla is on the level of "make or break" for the Be OS. And since I'm dying to install BeOS and run it 90% of the time (begrudgingly running NT the rest of the time), I am certainly hoping for its completion.

#7 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by SomeSmartAss

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 10:26 AM

Maaan, I wonder if someone is trying to develop a browser for the ENIAC.

#8 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by arielb

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 10:41 AM

Duncan Wilcox is paid by Be Inc to work on this project. That's why it's making good progress. But BeZilla also needs more volunteers. If you really want a good alternative to Windows 98 then give BeOS a try and help submit BeZilla bugs once this gets in the tree.

As far as ports to Eniac-no. But someone is porting to OpenVMS

#9 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by Bruce

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 1:12 PM

If BeZilla runs well... I'd switch to BeOS because there are many things about it that I like.

Currently, the only browser out there for BeOS is NetPositive which is a far cry from what I'm used to using.

What kinds of volunteers? Coders?...

#10 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by arielb

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 4:00 PM

coders-even people just submitting bug reports. Maybe someone will come up with a bezilla that uses native controls instead of XUL?

#11 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by Anon

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 11:06 PM

I'd happily submit BeZilla bugs - unfortunately, it only runs on 4.5, and I'll be waiting a while before I get it in Australia.

#12 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by Kaoslord <kaoslord@chaos-productions.com>

Tuesday June 22nd, 1999 11:59 PM

>But someone is porting to OpenVMS yeah i saw this in PC weekly today, there was a story on Compaq pushing open VMS and being on a porting madness which included netscape communicator and I am assuming the referred to this. Im pretty sure compaq is helping the port with paid programmers.

#13 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by Anon

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 8:59 AM

Hot damn! Last time I checked, the page was down, so I missed the earlier (pre-M7) alpha BeOS release. Grabbing it now... and very eager to replace my lightweight-but-not-too-usable NetPositive browser.

BTW, Be is supporting the project. One of their engineers, Duncan Wilcox, is technical lead on the port at present. <a href="<http://reality.sgi.com/rhess_engr/beos/bezilla>">Here</a>'s a link to the BeOS on Mozilla page for anyone interested.

- <a href="mailto:<drpritch@uwaterloo.ca>">David Pritchard</a>

#14 Re:Bezilla Nears M7

by Anon

Wednesday June 23rd, 1999 9:04 AM

Hmm.. teach me to read the notices here. The (working) BeZilla page link is here <http://reality.sgi.com/rhess_engr/beos/bezilla>

- David <drpritch@uwaterloo.ca>