Java2 in Navigator 5?

Tuesday June 15th, 1999

According to Alan Baratz of Sun, Java2 will be an integrated part of Navigator 5. I assume "integrated" means that it will utilize OJI, which should allow for their JVM to be replaced by another company's if desired.

Thanks to Bill Lynch for the news.

#1 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by arielb

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 7:41 AM

heh I couldn't help but notice on the sidebar the link about the gates/jobs tv movie. hehe Ballmer and the topless bars...

I'm assuming java will be bundled in the download just like always. Remember the Sun/Netscape/AOL alliance?

Sun's java on millions of AOL cd's also sounds like good news for java developers. On the other hand if IBM has its own version of mozilla I will probably get it from them

#2 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 7:49 AM

Does Java work in any of the Alphas? I tried running some tests and it didn't work. Is there a new syntax? What plugin?

Thanks.

#3 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by FrodoB

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 8:26 AM

The syntax will be the same, but there's no virtual machine hooked up yet. When the Open-Java Interface is finished feature-wise (and I think it should be by M7 or M8), I think you'll see Sun rush to get the JDK compatible with OJI, thus allowing you to use it. :)

#4 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 10:21 AM

Hopefully they use HotSpot. They are still giving that away free, correct? It would be excellent if IBM made a Mozilla browser with their own fast JVM. I think the JVM's would be better built into an OS platform, but since MS won't do that, and they have 95% of the desktops.... I guess it has to go this route for now.

Brandon <brandon@wave22.com>

#5 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by Quelish

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 10:25 AM

I would LOVE to see the ability to choose which JVM you want to use built into Netscape 5. I've got so many copies of the JVM on my machine now it's crazy -- and none of them work like the other. If we could finally move towards one single JVM for an entire machine then I'm all for integration of the new feature!!

#6 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by BrerBear

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 11:15 AM

In other news here at JavaOne, Alan Baratz confirmed that Hotspot will become the default VM in Java 2 soon. And that after the next "server-oriented" update to Hotspot target for late this summer (version 2.0), a "client-oriented" version of Hotspot will be released early next year.

#7 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 11:22 AM

more than being able to choose my jvm, i'd like the ability to have the jvm load on mozilla startup.

#8 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by arielb

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 11:31 AM

In other un-related news check this site <http://www.microsoft.com/…patible/SearchResults.asp> and look for Intel under company names

#9 Re:

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 5:13 PM

I would also like to have the ability to load JVM at the machine startup... That would allow for a faster start of all java applications in the machine...

#10 Loading JVM at Startup

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 6:39 PM

Actually, you can already load java at startup in Communicator by adding "-start_java" (without the quotes) at the command line.

#11 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by HoserHead <hoserhead@woot.net>

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 8:28 PM

Arielb, what was the point of that link? Lots of hardware, we know that Intel makes hardware.. so?

#12 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by arielb

Thursday June 17th, 1999 1:09 AM

don't they also make cpu's? Now check again :)

You'll find that AMD, Cyrix, Rise and a few other x86 chips are supported but no mention of intel

#13 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Thursday June 17th, 1999 5:06 AM

hmm.... intel's there.

#14 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by brobinson

Thursday June 17th, 1999 12:02 PM

Switch product to CPU. I didn't see Intel there. Maybe it's a mistake...

#15 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by arielb

Thursday June 17th, 1999 2:11 PM

yeah you'd think Microsoft wouldn't forget Intel's entire pentium line when they list in detail just about every other x86 chip.

#16 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by beej <bdery@ualberta.ca>

Thursday June 17th, 1999 5:45 PM

People have been speculating that this is due to a rift between MS and Intel that has been festering for some time. Don't look at me - I didn't say it originally. I believe it was either reported at The Register: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/> or at Slashdot: <http://www.slashdot.org/> but that was a little while back, so you may not find the story there. Still, it is somewhat interesting - coupled with the fact that MS is eyeing the new Elbrus E2K processor, for reasons unknown to me...

And now I've helped this whole forum get incredibly off-topic... ^_^

-Brendan "Beej" Dery

#17 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Thursday June 17th, 1999 6:02 PM

Anyone has any idea when M7 will be ready?

#18 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday June 17th, 1999 6:11 PM

basic, there are 21 bugs on the M7 list. A couple look tricky but I don't think M7 is far from being released. Grab a nightly build and keep up with the progress. M7 featurework is done, it's just bug work now and I'm sure they're opening up M8 feature work.

#19 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Thursday June 17th, 1999 8:10 PM

yes. this is some good stuff. Java2 rocks, and getting this on heaps of computers is good.

Is IBM putting out a mozilla? if so, i'll use that instead of AOHell's version :) if not i'll use plain Mozilla. Mr Case doesn't need anymore money.

dan. PS: wwhy can't i just put my email like I used to?

#20 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by Jake <jake@bugzilla.org>

Thursday June 17th, 1999 9:02 PM

The reason you can't put you're name ang E-Mail in the fields like you used to is that there were some problems w/ppl "forging" posts. In order to put a stop to this, MozAdmin made it so you either posted anonymous (hope I spelled that right) or with a user ID, to get one, follow this <http://www.mozillazine.org/members/create.html> and fill out the form...

#21 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by arielb

Thursday June 17th, 1999 11:58 PM

I'd really want that crypto however

#22 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Friday June 18th, 1999 1:10 AM

Can anyone give me a firm idea when SSL and Java will be available in Mozilla. The Oz SSL team said they'd be making one soon. But how soon? Are we look at M7, 8, 9, 10 ...

#23 Estimated binary size?

Friday June 18th, 1999 4:03 AM

I noticed that the binaries keep getting bigger and bigger. Just wanting to know if there are any estimates on how large the final suite will be? Will SSL and Java2 add large amounts of binary to the tree? Were still 10 meg off of the 4.61 browser suite :~)>

#24 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Friday June 18th, 1999 6:00 AM

Dumb question: Is there any JAVA implemenation which supports OJI, or this is one of the dead-born interface ideas ?

#25 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Friday June 18th, 1999 6:53 AM

Japhar by The Hungry Programmers supports OJI. However, I don't think its very far along at the moment.

#26 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by FrodoB

Friday June 18th, 1999 7:32 AM

Sun is making the JDK (I dunno about JDK 1.1, but certainly JDK 1.2 [AKA Java 2]) compatible with OJI. Remember, AOL, Sun, and Netscape are all in a cooperative alliance of sorts now. :)

In other news, I hope Kaffe doesn't implement OJI.... They're putting the Microsoft "Java extensions" into Kaffe because MS is funding them (get around what you're getting sued for by funding a non-licensee). This only creates more Java fragmentation. :(

#27 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by Tekhir

Friday June 18th, 1999 8:15 PM

arielb, By not including Intel's cpus on the list MS doesn't have to offer an Intel user support or even say it should work on the cpu. This is really serious for corporations that need support.

#28 Re:Java2 SMIL interpreter or Mozilla native ?

Saturday June 19th, 1999 3:54 AM

Anyone nows aboth SMIL support in Mozilla or will it be Java2 version for cross platform compilance ?

#29 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by brobinson

Saturday June 19th, 1999 12:07 PM

Kaffe is a completely backwards engineered version of Java. It's supposed to support both the Sun version and the Microsoft version.

I think that if MS would have just kept with the Sun spec and gotten compatible with Java1.2, they'd be the best choice for Java on any Win32 machine. I use MS's JVM for 1.1 apps and Sun's JDK 1.2 for 1.2 apps, and development.

They had to do a good job on the MS JVM so they could get people to use it and their extensions. This isn't like the OS where they already have the most market share and can afford to make an unstable OS.

#30 Re:MS doesn't support Intel?

Sunday June 20th, 1999 11:02 AM

MS's HCL returned one Intel processor, one of the overdrive processors (66MHz), but it failed for the logo program but was deemed compatible with WinNT4x86? I doubt anyone is going to use a 66MHz CPU on WinNT4. It didn't get tested on anything but WinNT4. Quite a few AMD CPUs were tested.

#31 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Monday June 21st, 1999 12:42 AM

java will add at least 10 megs to the browser, because all the classes jar'red make that much. then the JVM on top of that, and any JITs.

dan

#32 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Monday June 21st, 1999 7:45 AM

So in the end Nav. 5.0 will be just as big of a d/l as Nav 4.0+ ? 14 megs.+

#33 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

by FrodoB

Monday June 21st, 1999 9:05 AM

If you have the Java with the download, probably. But there'll likely be a Java-free version. Or they could give a choice of JVMs (JDK 1.1.x is much smaller than Java 2). And a lot of people will have a JRE installed anyway which will be pluggable via OJI.

#34 Re:Java2 in Navigator 5?

Monday June 21st, 1999 10:50 AM

Sun is supposed to release a smaller version of the JRE sometime around the release of Navigator 5. It's supposed to use the HotSpot engine and should be a smaller download. Netscape should allow users to download Java and the browser separately.