Second Survey Test

Sunday June 13th, 1999

Thanks to everyone who voted in the last survey test. This is the final test before the Animation Contest vote.

Click here to go to the second survey. It's a throwaway survey which asks you to rate your opinions of five Star Wars characters on a scale from 1 to 20. You must be a member to vote.

We've made a few changes to the layout of the survey page, and one major change to the functionality. To see the results, you must be a member, and you must have already voted. Just visit the survey page, enter your login name and password, and click the Submit button. If you have already voted, you will be shown the results (you see the results immediately after voting, as well). This is to prevent people from looking at the results before voting, which could bias their opinions.

If you voted in the previous survey, it's very important that you try voting in this survey as well.

#1 Re:Second Survey Test

by nicknet <mozilla@nicknet.dircon.co.uk>

Sunday June 13th, 1999 7:56 AM

No fair!!!!!!!! Us UK people haven't seen it yet. As a protest, I voted 1 (very low) for all. HAHA.

#2 Re:Second Survey Test

by Anon

Sunday June 13th, 1999 9:12 AM

GEEZ!! It's a survey! It's a simple CGI script! This is not rocket science! Just get on with the animation compo already!

#3 Re:Second Survey Test

Sunday June 13th, 1999 10:13 AM

Hey!!!! Where's Chewbacka?

And I'm still waiting for Yoda to whip out a wee light saber and kick some Sith ass!!!

#4 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Sunday June 13th, 1999 10:55 AM

meesa thinky jar jar needs all da help he can get so puhpuhpuhleeeeeeeease vote for him!

#5 Re:Second Survey Test

by zontar

Sunday June 13th, 1999 11:16 AM

I still haven't seen the new movie, and I hate Jar-Jar already.

Han Solo r001z. <g>

#6 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Sunday June 13th, 1999 1:03 PM

meesa no likey when yousa bad bad peepul make a stinky over jar jar

#7 Re:Second Survey Test

Sunday June 13th, 1999 1:40 PM

Hmmmph.

Yoda is thinking that Annoying speech patterns, Jar-Jar has...

#8 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Sunday June 13th, 1999 2:42 PM

I will not condone this behavior while you discuss jar jar in a committee

#9 Re:Second Survey Test

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Sunday June 13th, 1999 3:09 PM

Poo doo! Sebulba rules! :) Jar Jar? He says some stupid things but at least he's believably annoying!

#10 Re:Second Survey Test

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Sunday June 13th, 1999 3:23 PM

Did anyone catch the E.T.s in the Senate? I heard about them, but didn't see them myself!

#11 Re:Second Survey Test

by heha97ad <heha97ad@student.econ.cbs.dk>

Sunday June 13th, 1999 3:46 PM

sebulba rulez ? how wude :-)

jar jar rulez especially when his tounge go numb.

Not in the UK ???????

try alt.binaries.multimedia :-))))

#12 Re:Second Survey Test

by HoserHead <hoserhead@woot.net>

Sunday June 13th, 1999 3:54 PM

#13 Re:Second Survey Test

by mozineAdmin

Sunday June 13th, 1999 3:59 PM

"Er, 15 says 'high' and 20 also says 'high' on the rating selection. Perhaps 20 should be 'very high'?"

Oops! I'll fix it for the Animation contest vote...

#14 Re:Second Survey Test

Sunday June 13th, 1999 4:04 PM

"Did anyone catch the E.T.s in the Senate?"

Yep. And there's a second, younger Yoda on the Jedi council, with sandy blonde hair. Aparantly the queen talks into a comunicator device thats actually a lady Gillete shaver.

(I've only seen the movie once.... I swear!!!)

#15 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Sunday June 13th, 1999 6:02 PM

oooh a blonde yoda? woohoo! (ok I'm not that lame)

#16 Re:Second Survey Test

by Anon

Sunday June 13th, 1999 6:42 PM

Put in a reminder that Member names are case sensitive. Or what about a cookie so I don't have to enter it every time.

#17 Re:Second Survey Test

by Caustic <jdub@student.usyd.edu.au>

Sunday June 13th, 1999 8:19 PM

Looks like it's working well! I was really impressed (and still am) by the lo9ok of your site the first time I saw it, and it would be cool if you would apply the design to all these new bits...

Most notably the "customization" line underneath the item text in forums. You could simply use another cell, but not colour it white (ie. green background, like a toolbarish sort of thing) - oh, and all those <hr>'s in the wishlist section...

The rest of the site looks way funky... all these new bits should look just as cool!

(oh, and I think the slashdot style member's cookie is a GREAT idea)

#18 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Sunday June 13th, 1999 9:29 PM

yes cookies please! I don't like typing the same stuff over and over

#19 Re:Second Survey Test

by Anon

Sunday June 13th, 1999 10:24 PM

OK...

I'm officially pissed.

I was supposed to go and see "Episode One" a second time with my girlfriend... but she showed up late; and rented "How Stella Got He Groove Back" to (ahem) "make it up to me"

whoo

hooo

Any movie with Whoopie Goldberg trying to be sexy, will NEVER "make it up" for jack sqat in my books!

#20 Re:Second Survey Test

by Bruce

Monday June 14th, 1999 1:36 AM

I really wish you people would focus on some more relevant issues... rather than Yoda, Jar-Jar, etc...

Maybe XUL????????????

Also, for those that are the least bit confused: The *blonde* yoda is the elder of the Yoda (from TSB, ROTJ)... the blonde Yoda is, in fact, named Corinthian... that is, if you have read your books.

#21 Re:Second Survey Test

Monday June 14th, 1999 6:56 AM

Only Star Wars book I ever read "Splinter In the Mind's Eye" and that was back in grade school. All I remember is Chewwy beating on stormtroopers with a Droid's arm.

#22 Re:Second Survey Test

Monday June 14th, 1999 7:25 AM

BTW,

Acording to Dave Hyatt, XUL/XPFE Architext, "netscape.public.mozilla.xpfe is the place to talk about XUL. If you have any concrete questions you can post them there."

#23 Re:Second Survey Test

by dhickey <f43@hotmail.com>

Monday June 14th, 1999 7:43 AM

What does that airship in the top right hand corner signify?

#24 Re:Second Survey Test

by jogar <greg@supersilly.com>

Monday June 14th, 1999 8:24 AM

Communists.

#25 Re:Second Survey Test

by Anon

Monday June 14th, 1999 8:43 AM

Can you maybe switch to using slashdot's backend, that way we could have moderation and can eliminate these comments that are completely unrelated to anything.

#26 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Monday June 14th, 1999 8:49 AM

I agree with anon. We should only talk about star wars in this thread and avoid anything related to mozilla :)

#27 Re:Second Survey Test

Monday June 14th, 1999 9:03 AM

"What does that airship in the top right hand corner signify?"

This is just a guess, but the lighter-Than-Air crafts were historically signifigant in that they heralded in a new are of travel and transportation. although used by the U.S., Germany and Russia for military purposes, they were also the first publically available means of air transport.

I'm thinking that the airship signifies the "revolution" that mozilla represents to many in the internet world. The first open-source commercial app ever. (as well as the most standards complient)

Of course I'll probably be accused of being an ass-kisser for this little post, but what the hey!

#28 Re:Second Survey Test

Monday June 14th, 1999 9:04 AM

Another possibility is that MozAdmin just thought it looked cool ;)

#29 Re:

by Jake <jake@bugzilla.org>

Monday June 14th, 1999 9:48 AM

Interesting that it (this survey)had characters from both the old and the new Movie(s)...

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to put in a little clause about already voting, but here are the resaults, just in case somebody thought they were voting but they really weren't... just a thought... :O)

Also, I like the cookie Idea as long as it's done right (gee, I've never said THAT before... :O) What I'm thinking is a temp cookie that says you logged in for the session and a persitant cookie for the next time you go online that just has the User ID but requires the password again before allowing any submitions. Also, they should both be optional (use checkboxes [it can be checked by default as long as there's the option to uncheck 'em)

Well, there's my 2 cents... hope it's worth at least that much...

#30 Re:Second Survey Test

by Anon

Monday June 14th, 1999 3:53 PM

Anyone see the two - possibly 3 (I've heard, but I've only seen 2) Grim Fandango's in teh Pod Racer crowd? (Big white skull guy to the right of the screen)

Was that Willow talking to the Blue shop keeper (Damn, can't remember his name) durring the pod races?

Is Anikin's green friend the one who dies later on in the series?

Is senitor palpitine the ___? :) Trying not to spoil it for those people who havn't seen it yet :)

Yes there are 3 E.T.'s in the senate, I've seen them.

Anyone hear darth breathing at the end of the credits?

Does anyone think seeing star wars 3 times is too much?

2 of them 2 days in a row? In the same theatre? :)

Gotta go to the movie theatre now... ;)

#31 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Monday June 14th, 1999 4:47 PM

"Is senitor palpitine the ___? :) "

Of course he is

#32 Re: Second Survey Test

by Caustic <jdub@student.usyd.edu.au>

Monday June 14th, 1999 7:44 PM

Ah yes, but the smarter of you would have asked: "Is Senator Palpatine Darth S_ (who desperately needs a new apprentice)?"

And I would have answered: "Of course he is."

#33 Re:Second Survey Test

Monday June 14th, 1999 8:19 PM

"Is senitor palpitine the <http://www.starwars.com/characters/palpatine/> ? :)"

No big secret there... realy

#34 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Tuesday June 15th, 1999 9:10 AM

well of course-he set up the whole Trade Federation invasion so that he could be the good guy to the people of naboo and take over the entire senate later on.

#35 Re:Second Survey Test

by Anon

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 6:09 AM

I think we need another survey:

"You would like the logo contest to start:

1. Sometime this month 2. Whenever you guys get around to it. No rush. 3. Whenever the results of the first two surveys are finalized. 4. Already. 5. Jar Jar sucks.

#36 Re:Second Survey Test

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 7:36 AM

Ok, saw TPM again last night (2nd time, with girlfriend this time)

Yes, there are three shots of the Big-headed skull guy, but its from crowd shots at the pod-race, so it could all be just one extra.

yes, it is "Willow" talking to Watto.

Anakin's bud isn't Greedo, (the guy Solo kills in the bar in Episode 4).

And the Comunication device I mentioned earlier is used by Obi Wan and Leam Neason, and it isn't actally a Lady Gilette, it just looks like the lady Gilette shaver with the blade missing.

There's also a "Trak-Ball" racket in Anakin's room (and a cheap trak-ball rip-off racket too)

The thing I realized this time 'round is that every time C3-P0 says "Thank the Maker!" in the original series, he's talking 'bout Anakin (he even thanks the kid for being "his maker" in TPM)... I always chalked "the Maker" up to some droid "Religion Chip" or something, that made driods more obediant.

(and the battle droids blow the Three Laws of Robotics to hell)

#37 Re:Second Survey Test

by FrodoB

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 7:48 AM

Actually, the little guy IS Greedo, from what I can tell (I've heard from fairly reliable sources that there was a cut from the film of someone telling him that he "should stay out of trouble or [he'd] come to a bad end, Greedo.").

One question, though.... Willow is a movie where the characters look suspiciously like hobbits (from Tolkien's works). Sure you don't mean Wicket, the Ewok? :) (I didn't notice.... Willow just didn't seem logical.)

#38 Re:Second Survey Test

by arielb

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 7:55 AM

Well I saw the star wars show on fox last night and Lucas said that he'd probably bring back jar jar in Star Wars 2. As his cousin Roger would say "puhpuhpuhpuhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!"

Why did they model jar jar after Roger when they could've made a female character modeled after Jessica...

#39 Re:Second Survey Test

Wednesday June 16th, 1999 8:10 AM

Nope. I mean Willow. Its actually the actor who played the little magician. Its during the Pod Race...

My mistake on Greedo then. I was listening for his name, and I thought it was something other than "Greedo")

#40 Re:Second Survey Test

by Anon

Thursday June 17th, 1999 8:57 AM

Ok, here is one... Does anyone think that Anakin's other friend is bobafett? (the one who says his pod racer will never work)

#41 Re:A Young Boba Fett

Thursday June 17th, 1999 10:44 AM

I don't see it. Whats the Tie in?

Initially, the character of Boba Fett was supposed to be female (a jilted love of Han's, I believe)

The only other info (I have) on Boba Fett is his "borrowed" Mandelorian Armour (an ancient race wiped out my the Jedi's), unless the Mandelorians resembled East Indians, I don't see the connection

Then again, I don't have a direct line to Mr. Lucas, so I can't realy say either way.

I want to know where Luke's "Aunt" & "Uncle" come from. Isn't Anakin an only child?

#42 Re:Second Survey Test

by FrodoB

Thursday June 17th, 1999 12:22 PM

As of Episode 1, he is an only child. Who knows who his mother may become romantically involved with? (In other words, I can't explain it either.)

#43 Re:Second Survey Test

Thursday June 17th, 1999 1:44 PM

If it turns out to be Obi Wan that'll just be nasty... The darned stories are bordering on insestous already.

#44 Re:Second Survey Test

by Jake <jake@bugzilla.org>

Thursday June 17th, 1999 9:25 PM

OK, to answer a couple of ?'s...

I don't think that Anakin's "other friend" is Boba Fett... According to the books (which ARE a part of the LucasArts story) The man who became Boba Fett went by the name of Jaster Mereel, who was a Journeyman Protector (whatever the heck that is) on the planet Concord Dawn.

As for the Rodian kid being Greedo, it's possible, but I seem to remember reading the Greedo grew up on the Rodian Homeworld...

Owen is the brother of Obi-Wan... after Luke & Leia are born, Obi-Wan talks Owen & Buru into raising the boy... there is apparently some disagreement as to how Luke is to be rasied and Owen ends up refusing to let Luke go near Ben (It's possible that Owen knows everything that happened with Anakin and doesn't want the same thing to happen to Luke)... I don't believe there is any relation at all between Luke Skywalker and Owen Lars.

The part that follows could be considered a spoiler... if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to ruin any suprises, then don't read the rest of this post... -> I don't think the Senator Palpatine is Darth Sidious. If you look at the timeline, you'll notice that Sidious is in need of an apprentice right now, but Anakin is still WAY to young (he has to marry and empregnate Queen Amadala yet). I think that Palpatine will become the apprentise of Sidious and then destroy him (this would insinuate that the rise to power thus far has been coinsidental and oppritunistic, not evil [after all Sidiuos is not really revieled to be Palpatine, just insinuated]). I think that sometime during Anakin's training, he will see a vision of a friend in danger (possibly his mother) and run to rescue them (her?). At that point, Palpatine will tempt Anakin and win his loyalty. Shortly thereafter, Anakin and Obi-Wan have a falling out and a fight which resaults in Anakin being badly burned and the creation of Darth Vader. --------------- End of Spoiler ---------------

#45 Re:Second Survey Test

by FrodoB

Thursday June 17th, 1999 9:52 PM

Yes, yes, this is a spoiler, as above....

I must disagree. I think that since Palpatine is the cause of the Clone Wars, and since Anakin emerges as the hero of the Clone Wars (according to the books), that Darth Sidius MUST be Palpatine, and that he will take a temporary apprentice (a cloned Darth Maul, perhaps?) until he seduces Anakin. There's too much in the face of Palpatine at the end of the movie (during the funeral) to have him be entirely unrelated. Since "A Guide to the Star Wars Universe" seems to imply that the rise to the head of the Senate was something Palpatine planned, one can only infer that he was involved as Darth Sidius.

Additional evidence, you ask? Darth Sidius says that he would keep the Imperial Senate mired down in bureaucratic proceedings to legitamize the Trade Federation's occupation of Naboo. Palpatine then suggests to Queen Amidala that they should accept Federation rule of Naboo at least for a while. When he sees she is unwilling to let this happen, he urges her to a vote of "no confidence" that establishes his power and ultimate totalitarianism of the Senate (and its disbanding some 40-50 years later). Of course, he's somewhat subtle about it, but I think there're far too many correlations to have Darth Sidius not be Palpatine....

Spoiler ends here.

#46 Re:Second Survey Test

by Anon

Saturday June 19th, 1999 3:16 PM

#47 Re:Yaddle The Yoda

Sunday June 20th, 1999 9:10 AM

Thanks. The "Corinthian" name didn't seem, well, right.

I thought it was weird that Lucas would have named a Jedi Master after a Greek Isle reknowned in anciant times as being a den of sin and debauchery.

That would have been like naming Han Solo "Lesbos Solo"