Bug Reporting Guidelines

Monday June 7th, 1999

Jan Leger from Mozilla's QA group has asked that everyone please take a look at the bug reporting guidelines before submitting a bug for Mozilla. Jan writes:

"More and more folks are using mozilla and writing bugs. This is great! What is not great is the quality of the bugs being written. Engineers and I spend many hours pinging back and forth with bug reporters regarding better info needed. We want to fix the bugs! But we need better bug writing."

Please check out the guidelines, and please continue to submit those bugs!

#1 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by Anon

Monday June 7th, 1999 2:38 PM

Ummm when you click on the link to download a nightly build from the mozilla.org site, you get a nice JavaScript window saying "ARE YOU CRAZY??!!". This could easily be built into the Bug-Reporting system -- when someone clicks on the link to report a new bug, just display a message like "OK, have you read the bug-writing guidelines? Click "OK" to read them, "Cancel" otherwise."

Then clicking "OK" would start a nice window.open() with the bug-guidelines page!

Sounds sound,

-=Yusuf=-, wondering why such a simple solution hasn't been implemented yet...

#2 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by Anon

Monday June 7th, 1999 5:20 PM

I hate those stupid js messages! They are thoroughly patronizing and can cause me to disable javascript.

#3 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by Bruce

Monday June 7th, 1999 5:42 PM

To the poster of the 1st message in this article.

To have a window that pops up saying:

when they click on a bug submittal link is actually a pretty good idea. I'm surprised they don't do that already is it has been such a problem.

#4 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by Bruce

Monday June 7th, 1999 5:45 PM

...I'm surprised they don't do that already *if* it has been such a problem.

Boy, my typing skills have been severly lacking as of late.

#5 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by Jake <jake@bugzilla.org>

Monday June 7th, 1999 9:37 PM

I'd be OK w/that under one condition... a cookie (or some other tracking) is set when you confirm reading of the instructions. That way, you don't have to see the same message box every time (like you do when you go to d/l the binaries, wish they'd do something 'bout that, too... :O)

#6 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by Anon

Tuesday June 8th, 1999 5:44 AM

I hate those stupid cookies! They are thoroughly patronizing and can cause me to disable cookies.

#7 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by SomeSmartAss

Tuesday June 8th, 1999 7:09 AM

Dammit, wheres that link that allows us to diable patronizing Anon posters!!

#8 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by mozineAdmin

Tuesday June 8th, 1999 7:20 AM

SSA,

It's back.

#9 Idiot poster

by Anon

Tuesday June 8th, 1999 8:45 AM

Ahem.

Who exactly is this anonymous fool who keeps posting, and writing "I hate those patronizing <insert technological advance here>!"?

Please. Get a Life. *All* js windows are not patronizing. I trust bugzilla.mozilla.org with enough common sense to do the window tastefully.

And please, oh mighty anonymous one, tell us all how cookies are patronizing? Do you browse your cookie file often? Or do you just hate the idea of doing things efficiently?

-=Yusuf=-, flaming gently.

PS Realize that nobody cares if you disable cookies or javascript. Go ahead, and get a hammer and "disable" your fingers so you don't inadvertently post something quite as stupid again.

#10 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by Anon

Tuesday June 8th, 1999 12:03 PM

I hate those stupid posters who critisize Anonymous posters! They are thoroughly patronizing and can cause me to dislike those stupid posters who critisize Anonymous posters!

#11 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by SomeSmartAss

Tuesday June 8th, 1999 12:17 PM

So you want to dislike us posters who critisize Anonymous posters, do ya...

Well, In my case at any rate, I think you'll have to get in line. There's a few others who dislike me for critizing too.

#12 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by brobinson

Tuesday June 8th, 1999 12:23 PM

Can't we all just get along?

#13 Re:Bug Reporting Guidelines

by Anon

Tuesday June 8th, 1999 8:26 PM

I also hate those stupid JavaScript popup messages. They are patronizing, obnoxious, ugly, and just plain silly. :) I am not a clueless idiot. I know that Alpha-level software is going to be buggy. :)