M6 Out!

Saturday May 29th, 1999

M6 is out, and you can get it here. Right now there are only Win32 and Linux builds, but others can't be far behind.

Release notes are here.

Thanks to Henrik Lynggaard and sj12fn for the news.

#1 Re:M6 Out!

by None <None@nowhere.net>

Saturday May 29th, 1999 6:35 PM

Nightly Builds are much better.

#2 Re:M6 Out!

by {'}

Saturday May 29th, 1999 7:20 PM

I agree, nightly builds are looking better and better, and they are fun to track progress with.

#3 Re:M6 Out!, but I can't get it

by Sj12fn <sj12fn@excite.com>

Saturday May 29th, 1999 8:39 PM

Well, I love it that M6 is out, but for the longest time, I haven't been able to run it off my Zip on Win32. It always crashes with a invalid page fault in either raptorbase.dll (99.99%) or xpcom32.dll (once). Any help out there?

#4 Re:M6 Out!

by Andrew Niese <icos@digitalchat.net>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 12:06 AM

Sj12fn,

does this only happen on your ZIP drive? if so, then this may be a big revelation! I think netscape is trying to get a reproducing bug out of this.

#5 Re:M6 Out!

by Henrik <Lynggaard@netscape.net>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 4:03 AM

Nightly better ??? I can't find windows nightly builds :-((

the /last-Build/ is from the 19.!

#6 Re:M6 Out!

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 4:29 AM

Henrik:

Use the /nightly/latest/ directory.

#7 Re:M6 Out!

by Fung <surewind@hongkong.com>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 5:22 AM

This build is the first build that has invaild page fault and can't run on my systam:(

#8 Re:M6 Out!

by mozineAdmin

Sunday May 30th, 1999 5:50 AM

Be sure to follow the installation instructions. On Windows, this means deleting mozregistry.dat inside your /windows directory.

#9 Re:M6 Out!, complete with ZIP bug

by Sj12fn <sj12fn@excite.com>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 5:54 AM

My problem is that, since I myself don't have a computer (I use my family's), I can only run it off a ZIP. For this same reason, I can't install any compiliers, I'd work on a patch otherwise. BTW, if this helps anyone, when it crashed with the fault in xpcom32.dll, I had downloaded it via MS FTP on a binary connection

#10 Re:M6 Out!

by Scott <Tanaaln@netscape.net>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 6:39 AM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, NO build has ever displayed a page at ALL on my computer. The more recent ones don't crash when trying to load a page, they just say that it's done loading, but there is nothing in the place where the page should be displayed... not even a plain background... it just takes whatever was on my screen and puts that there... I get an error message in the DOS window that says: DocLoaderFactory: Unable to create ContentViewer for command=(null), content type=text/html All this is refering to viewer only, Apprunner doesn't do anything here... just brings up the DOS window for a second, no new window is created, then the dos window closes. ? I tried to sign up for bugzilla to report the numerous bugs I've found over the past few months, but it doesn't email me my password, so.... ::shrug:: Oh well, just don't feel too bad, I've never seen a working copy of the program. ;)

Scott

#11 Re:M6 Out!

by Tobias

Sunday May 30th, 1999 8:19 AM

Scott try renaming you plugin directory for Netscape 4.* and then start Mozilla

#12 Re:M6 Out!

by Scott <Tanaaln@netscape.net>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 8:49 AM

umm... ok. I renamed the directory -plugins-, though I don't know how that changes anything... and it didn't make mozilla display pages... ::mumble:: oh well... thanks for trying! :)

Scott

#13 Re:M6 Out!

by Henrik <Lynggaard@netscape.net>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 9:11 AM

so how much is different between M6 and the nightly builds ?

#14 Re:M6 Out!

by Martin Willemoes Hansen

Sunday May 30th, 1999 1:07 PM

Great! Cant wait for the stable one ;) Work seems to progress very fine. Keep up the good work!!!

#15 Re:M6 Out!

by Just zis guy, you know?

Sunday May 30th, 1999 3:44 PM

Just my $.02 worth for those having problems, my copy of Mozilla did some weird stuff like what you describe and I got it working by erasing the mozregistry.dat file, the entire mozilla folder, and all stray uncompressed copies of Mozilla I had laying around on my hard drive. I then unzipped the latest version in to a fresh mozilla folder. I'm thinking that I had been unzipping over the old versions and might have left some incompatible old data file laying around somewhere in the mozilla folder.

#16 Re:M6 Out!

by Mr. Sj12fn <sj12fn@excite.com>

Sunday May 30th, 1999 5:52 PM

Well, I tried M6 on my 2nd HD, and I got the /SAME/ result as before :-(

Somebody help!

#17 Re:M6 Out!

by Just zis guy, you know?

Sunday May 30th, 1999 7:23 PM

Um... I was using a build from a week or so ago, just tried M6 and it is crash-o-rama. I can't even get the viewer to work. I know I should expect stuff like this since it is in development, but I am curious as to what gives.

#18 Re:M6 Out!

by Brian krabbe

Sunday May 30th, 1999 9:59 PM

has anyone else had the problem on win32 that the apprunner ~always~ crashes when you close it? ive had this problem on two computer since M3. Anyone know what im doing wrong?

#19 Re:M6 Out!

by Puzza

Sunday May 30th, 1999 10:47 PM

M6 seems to run pretty well on my rh6.0 system. Haven't had any crashes yet and have been looking at pages like /. etc.

#20 Re:M6 Out!

by Arnaud <arnaud.malon@lemel.fr>

Monday May 31st, 1999 5:07 AM

I would know where the Proxy configuration would work ??? Because I'm behind a firewall and could try mozilla with real webpages :( and now with the M6 relase, it crash because it can't fiond cvs-mirror.mozilla.org

#21 Can you say SLOW?!?!

by Grant Likely

Monday May 31st, 1999 8:43 AM

Slow, slow, slow, slow, slow.

The render engine itself is not bad at all, but the new chrome takes forever to redraw on my Linux box.

(PII 300 w/ 64M)

#22 Re:M6 Out!

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday May 31st, 1999 9:57 AM

works for me.

#23 Re:M6 Out!

by kerz <jason@mozillazine.org>

Monday May 31st, 1999 11:44 AM

For anyone having problems, some solutions have come up that are worth mentioning again...

1. Everytime you get a new version (nightly and/or Milestone) ALWAYS delete the mozregistry.dat from C:\windows or C:\winnt.

2. Never install over a previous release. This is especially true for Milestone releases. The file locations seem to change drastically between milestones, and this will cause it to load older, possibly broken files.

3. If further problems arise, be sure to delete any mozilla related files in your temp directory. This caused a crash for me constantly.

If these remedies don't help you, file a bug @ bugzilla - <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org> .

#24 Re:M6 Out!

by ERICmurphy <murphye@gmail.com>

Monday May 31st, 1999 7:37 PM

I am really impressed with the M6 release, much more stable and faster on my Win32 machine.

I finally broke down and put a shortcut to apprunner in the Start menu, I think I will be using it much more now.

Keep on plugging.

#25 Re:M6 Out!

by charlie mac

Tuesday June 1st, 1999 11:19 AM

I just want to know one thing... When are the hot keys and marking menus coming!!! I need my Alt+O and Right click mouse!!

I want to be able to surf the web fluidly again!

thanx

#26 Re:M6 Out!

by Kaile

Tuesday June 1st, 1999 9:16 PM

Wow! THis can only mean the final version is only weeks away! I am excited... I just installed 4.6 a few weeks ago and that version is tons faster.. From what I hear then New commercial version will be even FASTER. Keep it up and can't wait.

#27 Re:

by Erik Arvidsson <erik@eae.net>

Wednesday June 2nd, 1999 4:16 AM

Slow, sloow, slooow...

Gecko has introduced a new abreviation, SDHTML, as in Static DHTML :-(

I tried doing a document.write inside a loop that looped 256 times (and the HTML code was very simple) and it took 30 seconds to display the page on a P2 339MHz. The same page tries to alter the style through the DOM level 2 and this takes about the same time (27s). This page is slow in IE as well. It takes about 0.10s to display it and 0.5s to alter the style. See for yourself at <http://webfx.eae.net/gecko/mozTestDomStyle.html>

#28 Re:M6 Out!

by IN NEED OF HELP

Wednesday June 2nd, 1999 1:37 PM

MY MILESTONE RELEASES HAVE BEEN CRASHING ON MY COMPUTER EVERY SINGLE TIME AFTER THE 3RD RELEASE YOU GUYS SAY TO DELETE THE MOZILLA REGISTRY FOLDER IN THE WINDOWS DIRECTORY, I DID THAT, I ALSO DELETED THE FOLDERS THAT HAD MY OLD MOZILLA FILES AND MILESTONES BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW ONE I ALSO DELETED ANY TEMP FILES AND YET IT STILL SAYS UNDER DETAILS WHEN THE APPLICATION CRASHES SOMETHING ABOUT RAPTORPLUGIN.DLL IS THE REASON WHY, WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO ENJOY THE NEW RELEASES!

#29 Re:IN NEED OF HELP

by zaw <zaw@netscape.net>

Wednesday June 2nd, 1999 3:09 PM

REINSTALL WINDOWS! IT SOUND LIKE WINDOWS PROBLEM TO ME. IT WORK ON 3 DIFFERENT SYSTEMS THAT I HAVE TRIED.EVEN THE NIGHTLEY BUILDS. I USE IT ON MY WORK STATION AT WORK BECAUSE I TRUSTED IT AND NEVER CRASHED ON ME.

#30 Re:M6 Out!

by random static <random_static@bigfoot.com>

Wednesday June 2nd, 1999 3:14 PM

runs fairly steadily for me. slow as molasses flowing uphill in freezing weather, but steadily.

displays my homepage more or less how i want it, which is good for me, since it means i've probably gotten the CSS more or less right... but breaks horribly on the one CGI-generated page. something in the netlib? okay, i wrote the CGI, but it works fine with NS 4.x and everything else...

doesn't seem to do frames either. then again, i tested that out on a CGI-generated frameset too, so it might be the same bug.

making definite progress, but it'll need four or so more of these milestones before it's done right. i only hope somebody spends some time speeding it up.

#31 Re:M6 Out!

by elfy

Wednesday June 2nd, 1999 11:34 PM

yeah... the chrome deal slows the whole app down quite a bit. i personally don't give a crap about if a browser can look differently for everyone - neoplanet can do that :) i wonder why anyone would insist on chromes??? sigh

#32 Help with Proxy Settings

by alistair

Thursday June 3rd, 1999 3:22 AM

All the recent nightly builds and the M6 release freeze for me. The problem is that they try to contact cvs-mirror.mozilla.org and freeze,I suspect because they do not recognise the proxy. I have tried adding proxy settings to prefs50.js but they do not seem to be recognised by apprunner. I can't find info on this in any of the newsgroups, can anyone help?

#33 Re:

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday June 3rd, 1999 8:58 AM

elfy, It's not just about chrome. With the new layout engine a new user interface architecture was developed. In this new world the user interface is defined and displayed in much the same way browser content was displayed in the old world. The fortunate side effect of gecko laying out the UI is that it can be re-designed, across platforms, with little or no programming skills. It is pretty slow right now on some platforms and some machines. This will be improved before Netscape releases its first browser built upon the mozilla code. FYI, it runs quickly and smoothly on both my windows95 P90 and my NT4 PII350.

#34 Re:M6 Out!

by elness <mike.elness@pobox.com>

Thursday June 3rd, 1999 1:20 PM

The Mac version of the M6 Milestone release is now available too, in addition to the Windows and Linux versions, at <<ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/m6/>>

#35 Re:M6 Out!

by Massimo

Thursday June 3rd, 1999 5:44 PM

M6 still dies on large tables. sucks up cpu to 100% and never gives it back. requires a kill in NT4. when will there be a milestone that I can be proud to bring home to mama?

#36 Re:M6 Out!

by Daniel Hill <danielhill@mindless.com>

Thursday June 3rd, 1999 9:22 PM

Re the proxy settings, it's really spun out where the prefs50 file lives, you have to start viewer, change the GFX mode, quit, change it back, then find the prefs50.js file it made (a directory called users50\default on Windoze). THen change it in there.

#37 Re:

by Erik Arvidsson <erik@eae.net>

Friday June 4th, 1999 4:54 AM

It is not just the GUI that is SLOW. The entire rendering engine is way too SLOW.

If it can't be improved about 100 times then there is no reason to release this snail...

And by the way when is the DOM that is not part of the W3CDOM going to be implemented. The W3CDOM is really not enough for any real applications.

#38 Re:M6 Out!

by Chris Knoll <knoll@eclipse.net>

Friday June 4th, 1999 7:39 AM

I'm noticing that sample 13 (the one with the Red Green Blue bouncing around the screen) is about 100 times slower than it was back at M2. Is it the XPCOM stuff that is slowing it down? Is there alot of marshalling of stuff going on that is slowing the method execution down? I hope it gets back to speed....

-Chris

#39 Re:M6 Out!

by FrodoB

Friday June 4th, 1999 11:28 AM

The rendering engine is not slow at all. The reason it takes so long to flow in your case is probably because of the UI.... Try viewer, and you'll see the fastest rendering engine available. Especially on nested tables (it's hellishly fast at computing nested tables, and even up to at least 10 levels is perceivably instantaneous).

What specifically is not appearing quickly for you? It may be a bug that you should file with Bugzilla.

#40 Re:M6 Out!

by guyh

Saturday June 5th, 1999 4:17 PM

Just a suggestion: people posting about Gecko performance (good AND bad) should specify their OS and possibly (for win32) their hardware. Otherwise we get conflicting user feedback...

#41 Re:M6 Out!

by Anon

Sunday June 6th, 1999 5:43 AM

I was happy if the M6 was as stable on my W98 System as the M5 release was. M6 is much slower than the M5 on my system.