New Milestone Added

Tuesday May 25th, 1999

Richard Lloyd wrote in with this interesting tidbit:

"May have been mentioned already before, but I assume everyone knows there are TEN Mozilla milestones now (M10 is released on 13th August), not nine like everyone else has been quoting."

It looks like they added one more milestone to accomodate the new networking library, Necko.

#1 Re:New Milestone Added

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 3:27 PM

Lovely! I don't care! The more you put into it the better the final product will be and the more people will flock to it. Go for it.

#2 Re:New Milestone Added

by Andrew Neise <icos@digitalchat.net>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 3:32 PM

News to me.

I was under the impression that Beta 1 would be in early july.

#3 Re:New Milestone Added

by OLEVariant <jensen_ba@yahoo.com>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 3:37 PM

Isn't M6 supposed to be released today?

Also, has anyone had trouble registering the npmozctl.dll in the latest builds from Mozilla???

#4 Re:New Milestone Added

by Tommy <rtommycole@yahoo.com>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 4:46 PM

I'm having that problem too. My computer crashes after closing apprunner on any build or milestone from about the past three weeks or so. When it crashes, it seems to return a problem registering a .dll, so I assume it's the same problem you're describing.

#5 Re:New Milestone Added

by Edwin Woudt <edwin@woudt.nl>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 4:55 PM

The XPFE group has scheduled stuff up to M12: <http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/xptoolkit.PDF>

#6 Re:New Milestone Added

by OLEVariant <jensen_ba@yahoo.com>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 5:00 PM

Tommy,

I'm talking about registering the npmozctl control via the regsvr32 command.

I get a LoadLibrary ???485 error, which i never got before. The M5 release works fine, of course, it's just the nightly builds as of late that I'm having problems with.

The crash you're getting is probably originating from raptor???.dll... just a guess.

Thanks, though, for replying.

#7 Re:New Milestone Added

by JamisonMVP

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 5:24 PM

So now when is the Communicator 5 beta scheduled to be released? Late-early August?

#8 Re:New Milestone Added

by I. Ramirez

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 5:59 PM

I think people are giving too much importance to the milestone issue as if it was a holy grail. Milestones are just planning targets. So who cares about the number? As a matter of fact there are set milestones all the way up to M16 tentatively scheduled for 12/14/99. The developers at one moment or another will call BETA after reaching a particular milestone that is stable enough (maybe M11-12). Check Milestone listing at <http://www.mozilla.org/pr…key/milestones/index.html>

#9 Re:New Milestone Added

by I. Ramirez

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 6:04 PM

BTW, I think tree was reopened because M7 builds are appearing in today's daily fetchbuilds, that means M6 should be released anytime soon (there are still 12 bugs listed on M6 .. two of them release Blockers. Check <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/>

#10 Re:New Milestone Added

by Pink <pinkerton@netscape.com>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 6:49 PM

anyone who puts any stock in the "number of milestones until beta" theory is going to be disappointed. There is no magic milestone number that means beta.

#11 Re:New Milestone Added

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 7:09 PM

how about alpha darn it! When do we hear the end of "pre-alpha"?

#12 M6 update (slightly off-topic)

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 7:39 PM

There are five bugs left on the milestone 6 bug list. The "My netscape does not layout properly" bug seems to be resolved or very close to resolution. I don't know about any one else but the My Netscape bug has been the only thing keeping me from using seamonkey fulltime.

#13 Re:New Milestone Added

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 8:30 PM

Well, Java and security would be pluses for fulltime. However, almost fulltime I could do, probably with M6. These latest versions of M6 have been good, real good.

#14 Re:New Milestone Added

by Tekhir

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 9:06 PM

Milestones have very little to do with Netscape Communicator. Just think of them as forks in the road. Netscape will take one of the milestone builds and turn it into navigator and mozilla will continue to be worked on.

#15 Re:New Milestone Added

by SomeSmartAss <improv@magma.ca>

Wednesday May 26th, 1999 9:21 PM

"Netscape will take one of the milestone builds and turn it into navigator and mozilla will continue to be worked on."

True, but at some point, there must be a release of Mozilla 1.0 that is a stable standard production release. There should also be a 0.x release or two, denoting a true Alpha, or Beta release, that doesn't threaten to blow up your hard drive, as does the disclaimer with the nightly builds. these releases will undoubtably be tied in with a Milestone release, and since Netscape, at least for the time being, is so tightly integrated with Mozilla (at least in a "coders on the payroll" sense) I'm betting even money that these self same releases will also be used for the Communicator 5.0a, 5.0b and 5.0 final releases.

#16 Re:OLEVariant - npmozctl.dll

by Adam Lock <locka@iol.ie>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 6:23 AM

I downloaded the 2705-M6 build and registered the control with no problems onto a fresh machine.

Did you update your PATH settings from previous installs?

#17 Re:New Milestone Added

by Tekhir

Thursday May 27th, 1999 6:35 AM

Try deleting mozregistry.dat in C:\windows directory. Old Builds leave stuff behind there which new build don't like. The file will be recreated by Mozilla.

#18 Re:npmozctl.dll

by OLEVariant <jensen_ba@yahoo.com>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 6:54 AM

Hi Adam,

Yes, the path was set.

I will download the 2705-M6 build and give it a go.

Thanks much for the info...

#19 Re:New Milestone Added

by PhiSch <innovator@phisch.de>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 6:56 AM

where did u get the M6? I canÄ't find it on mozilla.org

Phil

#20 Re:New Milestone Added

by OLEVariant <jensen_ba@yahoo.com>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 7:03 AM

It's not the 'official' M6 release... just the latest:

Download the Win32 version here:

<ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub…/latest/mozilla-win32.zip>

Or, visit the FTP site here:

<ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/>

#21 NPMOZCTL.DLL

by OLEVariant <jensen_ba@yahoo.com>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 7:34 AM

Hey Adam,

Couldn't find a 2705 build as of 6:30am PST.

I downloaded the 2605 build and had the same problem:

LoadLibrary Failed (0x000485)

So neither the 2505 nor the 2605 builds have worked. If I nuke the \bin directory tree and reinstall the M5 release then npmozctl.dll will register just fine.

I'll keep my eye out for the 2705 build.

#22 Re:New Milestone Added

by SomeSmartAss <improv@magma.ca>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 8:27 AM

A little off topic, but has Adam Lock, or anyone else, considered puting the new Necko Component into an Active-X too? I've used the network controls that ship with VB a bit as well as a few other freeware ones, and they're all pretty abismal (I know... using VB to start with is considered abismal by most). If you could get all the required Protocols, handled properly, in one open source active-X, that would be another huge benifit to third party developers. I'm especially keen on having FTP and Telnet Clients that can not only handle Proxy Servers, but Autosocks severs too (have the option of both at work, but one is usuually slower than the other, or down; and it flip-flops during the day... Netscape's the only thing on my system that not only recognises both protocols, but can quickly flip from one to the other)

#23 npmozctl.dll & LoadLibrary problem

by ariya

Thursday May 27th, 1999 8:33 AM

I suppose the problem is that you have incorrect version of Microsoft Visual C++ run-time DLL, as require by npmozctl.dll. And I believe Adam Lock has an explanation about this. Just see his site on Mozilla ActiveX Control <http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm>

#24 Re:New Milestone Added

by OLEVariant <jensen_ba@yahoo.com>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 8:42 AM

ariya,

Unfortunately, that is not what the problem is...

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

#25 Re: DLL Registration

by eMonk <kmg1@post.com>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 8:52 AM

Here's a utility that I have found very useful in troubleshooting Win9x registration issues. It'll tell you which dependency is at fault.

<http://stevemiller.net/depends.html>

#26 Re:New Milestone Added

by OLEVariant <jensen_ba@yahoo.com>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 9:43 AM

Thanks eMonk... I'll check it out.

#27 Re:New Milestone Added

by OLEVariant <jensen_ba@yahoo.com>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 1:58 PM

Thanks to eMonk's post I discovered the problem... and Ariya, you were right:

The latest builds of Mozilla require msvcp60.dll which isn't part of the runtime.zip package that's distributed on Adam's site.

I'll email Adam to let him know.

Thanks again.

#28 Where to send suggestions?

by PhiSch <innovator@phisch.de>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 2:10 PM

Hi,

I am a german student and I just started with programming. So I am not a good help for now, but I have some suggestions for features that might be helpfull for the enduser of Navigator/Mozila whatever. Where should I post them?

Thax

Phil

#29 Re:New Milestone Added

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 3:26 PM

go to <http://www.mozilla.org>, click on community, and find the newsgroup there that most closely fits your suggestion. For User Interface suggestions (UI), news.mozilla.org.ui or whatever.

#30 Re:New Milestone Added

by Adam Lock <locka@iol.ie>

Thursday May 27th, 1999 4:01 PM

Regarding msvcp60.dll.

It appears that mozilla have upgraded their build machine to DevStudio 6. This means that you need a new set of runtimes in order to use the control. I have updated my web page so they can be downloaded from there

#31 Spanky