Mozilla Featured in 'Wall Street Journal'

Monday August 30th, 2004

Mozilla got some great press today on the front page of the Marketplace section in The Wall Street Journal. The article talks about the positives of Mozilla's security efforts versus the continued problems Microsoft is having with Internet Explorer. Run out and grab a copy or check out the article in full.

Correction: The section is called Marketplace (not Marketwatch as originally stated in this report).

#1 Bravo!

by AnimeUSA

Monday August 30th, 2004 12:28 PM

Ooh, that was a great article for the Mozilla Foundation. I hope more articles of this sort keep coming as Firefox 1.0's launch draws closer.

#2 Ah, I see that Opera is OSS now

by DMor

Monday August 30th, 2004 12:36 PM

"Mozilla is one of several open-source browsers, which include Opera from Opera Software in Oslo." Lol.

#3 Re: Ah, I see that Opera is OSS now

by dave532

Monday August 30th, 2004 1:11 PM

Personally, didn't see the article as too positive, you mention the incorrect assumption that Opera is open source but it also did the following bad things: - Say that a mozilla flaw has been found recently without explaining how significant these flaws were compared to IE - Mentioned that some sites don't work in mozilla without explaining this is because of bad web design and most major sites work fine - Never mentioned the good things other than security that mozilla can bring

OT: Got a mate of mine who's a musician to switch to firefox a while ago and he's put up his reasons for switching <http://www.soundsourcemusic.net/firefox.html>

#5 Re: Re: Ah, I see that Opera is OSS now

by neilparks1

Monday August 30th, 2004 2:18 PM

(quote) >OT: Got a mate of mine who's a musician to switch to firefox a while ago and he's put up his reasons for switching (end quote)

I would have read his page if he had not turned me off with his salty language.

#9 Salty Language

by markwg

Monday August 30th, 2004 6:40 PM

Unusual view, that; it was only one word. "Salty" is not exactly what I would term it...

#10 Re: Re: Ah, I see that Opera is OSS now

by w0073r

Monday August 30th, 2004 7:16 PM

Heh....from that page --

"Blake Ross - The 8 year old has some great marketing ideas. Help him spread the word."

#11 Re: Re: Re: Ah, I see that Opera is OSS now

by dave532

Thursday September 2nd, 2004 3:02 AM

Blake's weblog used to be called something like "ramblings of an 8 year old", but that was about 2 years ago so perhaps he's now 10 :)

#13 Hey you

by dnickell <dnickell@icehouse.net>

Saturday September 4th, 2004 2:53 PM

I wish they had commented on poorly coded Web Sites. I recently obtained a Morningstar (financial institution) account. Account details are only accessable by IE/OE at the System Manager's decision. They refuse to recognize either NS or Mozilla. To me that's poor coding, plain and simple. In this modern world (?) there's no reason a Web Site should be written specifically for one browser, exclusive of others. :-( (Sorry for the unfriendly attitude toward Morningstar's attitude.)

#4 Re: Ah, I see that Opera is OSS now

by feranick

Monday August 30th, 2004 1:12 PM

Since when? I don\'t remember seeing anywhere in the opera website any reference to their browser being Open Source.... It looks like a mistake to me...

#6 Reply

by Racer

Monday August 30th, 2004 2:27 PM

That poster was joking.

#7 Marketplace

by nguyen_alex

Monday August 30th, 2004 3:13 PM

"Mozilla got some great press today on the front page of the Marketwatch section in the Wall Street Journal." The section is called "Marketplace," not "Marketwatch."

The article has a nice illustration of the Mozilla dinosaur wearing a green button-down shirt and black slacks.

#8 Re: Marketplace

by roseman

Monday August 30th, 2004 3:26 PM

i think "marketwatch" is CBS business new? i think? speaking of pictures: <http://www.xceleratorgami…com/gfx/logos/mozilla.jpg> pass.the.breath.mints.please :)

#12 Weekend WSJ radio report on Firefox

by ckjnigel

Saturday September 4th, 2004 9:04 AM

I heard a fairly long detailing of the exploits of Firefox in the WSJ's syndicated radio feature on Saturday September 4.

#14 Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, even Open Office...

by rktompsett <N8JUQ@verizon.net>

Friday September 15th, 2006 3:55 PM

...It's all Open Source! Mozilla. org says it all. No more Microsoft here. Good by to Windows XP (hopefuly soon). I'm trying to get weened of Bill Gates.