Camino 0.8.1 Released

Wednesday August 25th, 2004

Mike Pinkerton writes: "We released Camino 0.8.1 tonight. Since the 0.8 release, we have added the following: fixes for four possible security vulnerabilities in Gecko, upgrade to Mozilla 1.7.2 Gecko engine, disabled prebinding on Mac OS X 10.3.x, several fixes to improve localization."

Builds are available on Mozilla's FTP server, and release notes are also available.

#1 Good release.

by Gnu

Wednesday August 25th, 2004 7:00 PM

I think they've managed to fix ... heck, pretty much all of the issues I've had with Camino. About the only nagging thing about it is the issue with images under thousands of colours is still there, but that's an OS X Gecko issue anyway and hits most current Mozilla releases on Mac. Nice one! They've even managed to sneak in a couple of advantages over Firefox (which is still, sadly, quite broken for many people on Macs, hence the even greater importance of Camino at the moment).

#2 What advantages?

by Neutrox

Wednesday August 25th, 2004 8:52 PM

What advantages?

#3 Re: What advantages?

by MozSaidAloha

Wednesday August 25th, 2004 9:08 PM

Camino embeds Gecko within a native cocoa UI. Firefox is, of course written in XUL. Personally, I feel that Camino is faster, but in some ways both cancel each other out.

#4 Re: What advantages?

by gerbilpower <gerbil@ucdavis.edu>

Thursday August 26th, 2004 9:42 AM

Add to that, I like the bookmark manager in Camino much better than Firefox.

When I'm on the Mac, I tried very hard to love Firefox, but I keep ending up back to Camino :)

But Firefox still rocks on Windows :)

#5 0.8.1 recommended version now

by jml <info@mozillakirja.com>

Thursday August 26th, 2004 11:55 AM

What about Releases top navigator, it points to Cm 0.8 yet. At <http://www.mozilla.org/download.html> the recommended version is 0.8.1., at Products page too.

#6 Nice GUI

by tentacle_joe

Sunday August 29th, 2004 6:16 PM

Why does everything on the Mac look so much better than on Windows. I tried out Camino last night on my girlfriend's powerbook and just totally fell in love with it.

#7 Extensions?

by sremick

Monday August 30th, 2004 6:43 AM

I am not a Mac user, but I advocate to Mac users and I'm torn on whether to recommend Camino or Firefox. Because it is native, I'd be inclined to recommend Camino if it weren't for the fact that you can't use Firefox extensions. Of particular note are Googlebar and AdBlock. This is important because these "features" are some of the big selling-points that get people to drop IE.

What do you Mac users think? Is there another way to get the same functionality in Camino, or do you just live with ads and no Googlebar?

#8 Re: Extensions?

by brokenvoice

Monday August 30th, 2004 8:21 AM

I've only just recently gone back to Camino and I do miss a good adblock (not the CSS trick, a _good_ adblock) but the lack of Googlebar doesn't faze me.

Because Camino doesn't support extensions, I hope that they spin the adblock code in as a preference before 1.0 .

#9 perks of camino/safari v firefox

by nickelclad

Tuesday September 7th, 2004 7:50 AM

one feature i like about safari and camino, but not firefox on the mac, is the way i can move between tabs using just keyboard shortcuts -- cmd-shift-left/rightarrow for safari, and cmd-option-left/rightarrow for camino.

why isn't camino up there on the front page with firefox? reward the developers with a little more attention :)