New Sunbird Builds Now Available

Wednesday August 18th, 2004

Simon Paquet writes: "New Sunbird builds for Windows, Linux and OS X (for the first time) have been released. You can download them from the Mozilla FTP server. These builds are the first to feature a new default theme, a new logo and the customizable toolbar functionality. Please note that Sunbird is still an experimental technology preview and these builds contain bugs and are a little bit rough around the edges."

Update: In related news, the winner of the Sunbird logo contest has been revealed to be Mark Carson, who produced a set of hummingbird-inspired icons. Our previous article about the new theme and logo has more details.

#1 Standalone Composer builds?

by godspeed

Wednesday August 18th, 2004 4:33 PM

I know this is perhaps a little of topic, but is there any chance of a standalone composer build coming out? I know Nva exists, but I would like something from the Mozilla Organisation.

Keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

#2 Standalone Composer builds?

by godspeed

Wednesday August 18th, 2004 4:33 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

#3 which color scheme?

by joschi

Wednesday August 18th, 2004 5:23 PM

the article is less than clear, it likns to a proposal that has 3 proposed icon:

<http://axentra.net/www/su…rd/logo_contest_set1.html>

which one actually won? i really hope it isnt either of those blaring green ones, the third orange one matches the color scheme of its sibling icons really well too...

#5 Re: which color scheme?

by Mook

Wednesday August 18th, 2004 8:05 PM

The green C won. (It's in the source tree, and I assume in the builds as well.)

Hmm, the axentra.net URLs seem to be gone. I wonder if /. had anything to do with it... For those that didn't catch the logo contest, there's a cropped version in the about dialog: <http://lxr.mozilla.org/mo…urces/content/sunbird.png>

#14 Re: Re: which color scheme?

by joschi

Thursday August 19th, 2004 12:24 PM

ick... too bad they picked a color that doesnt match the others... the icon itself it gorgeous though.

#16 Re: Re: Re: which color scheme?

by joschi

Thursday August 19th, 2004 1:04 PM

i guess i can see the point about the orange one getting confused with firefox though...

#4 Hrrrm...

by nentuaby

Wednesday August 18th, 2004 6:05 PM

I actually prefer the green; The orange could have been somewhat difficult to distinguish from Fx's icon at a glance. I think it is the green one, too, as it is the one that's displayed next to the Fx and Tb logos.

#6 Green one won

by markcarson

Wednesday August 18th, 2004 11:43 PM

Trust me, it's the green one that won the contest, so that is what is being incorporated into Sunbird. The logo will undergo some degree of refinement, but the overall color scheme will remain more green than red/orange.

#7 gtk1 builds

by deckardnc

Wednesday August 18th, 2004 11:52 PM

Unfortunately, I use older Linux with only GTK1. I'd like to have GTK1 builds as well [same for Firefox :-(].

#8 Is there a xpi for this build

by darkdazzle

Thursday August 19th, 2004 12:03 AM

The latest xpi I found here <http://www.mozilla.org/pr…ts/calendar/download.html> is dated 2004-08-09

#9 XPI extension is not "Sunbird"

by markcarson

Thursday August 19th, 2004 1:48 AM

The XPI dated 2004-08-09 is an extension to Mozilla suite, it is not Sunbird (the standalone calendar application) and it does not have the latest theme changes, etc.

#10 remote calendars is broken for me

by flacco

Thursday August 19th, 2004 3:05 AM

would love anyone's thoughts on this: on my debian unstable system, both sunbird and the plugins will not publish or refresh remote calendars. i'm using https:// - either action just sits there and spins the "busy" indicator forever.

#11 Impressive!

by MvD

Thursday August 19th, 2004 5:25 AM

The new sunbird looks very good! The new theme is excellent. I wonder why the foundation doesn't do more promote sunbird. Adding Sunbird to the list of technology previews and another extra tab on update.mozilla.org would be a good start.

#12 Will sunbird ever gets taskbar stupport.

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Thursday August 19th, 2004 9:59 AM

I really wish sunbird gets the ability to run in a quicklaunch style mode so that I can recieve alarms without having to have a window open.

#13 screenshots

by spaceman

Thursday August 19th, 2004 11:36 AM

#15 Glad it's green..

by zookqvalem

Thursday August 19th, 2004 12:48 PM

I'm glad the color is green. It is nice to have different colors as long it doesn't have to be the same color as the other products like Firefox and Thunderbird for example. Um, maybe a darker green would help....

#17 Minimize to tray tool

by markcarson

Thursday August 19th, 2004 1:06 PM

There is a 3rd party tool underdevelopment to minimize both Calendar (extenstion) and Sunbird (standalong app) to the system tray in Windows. Refer to this forum thread: <a href="<http://forums.mozillazine…org/viewtopic.php?t=95995>"><http://forums.mozillazine…org/viewtopic.php?t=95995></a>

#18 I like it but what about Address Book?

by Ice_Black

Friday August 20th, 2004 7:57 AM

I like Sunbird a lot but what about Address Book? I think it would be cool if they add Address Book feature too.

I think Sunbird should have two seperate features: Calenders and Address Book.

#19 Composer PLEASE

by bobthegoat

Friday August 20th, 2004 11:33 AM

Sunbird look nice and all... but what I was hoping for was a Mozilla organization Composer. Finish your suite of net browsing apps before your start working on productivity stuff. It's not that I mind this kind of stuff... but I can't continue making web pages with crappy composers like FrontPage and the clunky one that comes with Mozilla. I need a standalone composer BAD.

#21 Re: Composer PLEASE

by MillenniumX

Tuesday August 24th, 2004 7:36 AM

What about Nvu? Must everything be made by the Mozilla team?

#20 Composer

by markcarson

Friday August 20th, 2004 7:49 PM

Check out Nvu: <http://www.nvu.com/>

#22 method to the little beast's madness?

by sysynge

Thursday August 26th, 2004 5:45 AM

Am I missing something or is there no Refill Birdfeeder icon on the date the bird's pointing to with its long little pointy beak? Or maybe the bird's just about to commence scratching a Refill Birdfeeder icon on the calendar with its beak :)