Reports from Mozilla Developer Day 2004

Tuesday August 10th, 2004

The Mozilla Developer Day 2004 took place on Friday. Several sessions were held throughout the day-long event and slides from the Mozilla 2.0: Roadmap and Directions talk led by Mike Shaver and Brendan Eich are now online (use the cursor keys to navigate through the slides). In addition, Christopher Blizzard has posted a summary of the proceedings. Some attendees have also posted their notes to the MozillaZine Forums.

#1 Spelling fix

by Waldo_2

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 7:35 PM

s/attendess/attendees/ :-)

#2 Re: Spelling fix

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 7:50 PM

Our article preview thing is broken at the moment. :-(

Alex

#3 Incompatible

by Shinglor <shinglor@optusnet.com.au>

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 8:39 PM

The Mozilla 2 slides don't work in Opera and the HTML is invalid. They should use the projection media type instead of JS or whatever they're using.

#5 Re: Incompatible

by leafdigital

Wednesday August 11th, 2004 2:12 AM

Dude, they're slides for a presentation, not a proper web site... would you prefer PowerPoint? (I know I wouldn't... even though I do have powerpoint installed on this pc).

Interesting stuff anyway although we've seen most of it before. I'm a little disappointed at the suggestion of limited SVG support, but the multi-language-ness continues to sound great.

One slightly random thought: if apps are to be packaged into a single .jar file (good, necessary) then how's it going to run seeing as if you double-click a .jar file java tries to run it? :) I presume the 'jar' files will actually be called something different (.xulapp for instance). Er. Well looks like I answered my own question so...

Oh the other interesting thing in here is that apparently the XForms stuff will be a 'Gecko extension'. Sounds cool, I hope there's going to be a general interface for these so that people can implement other new XML types without having to change Gecko itself. (ok, broken record, I'll shut up now)

--sam

#6 Re: Re: Incompatible

by ken

Wednesday August 11th, 2004 10:07 AM

"Dude, they're slides for a presentation, not a proper web site... would you prefer PowerPoint?"

Um, I think he's just asking for proper use of web presentation technologies, if people are going to post it on the web. It's not that hard, and people do it all the time--even for presentations. Confer:

<http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/>

#7 Re: Re: Incompatible

by bzbarsky

Wednesday August 11th, 2004 11:26 AM

> I'm a little disappointed at the suggestion of limited SVG support

SVG 1.2 is adding a lot of stuff that Mozilla either cannot (due to it clashing with other specifications) or does not want to (eg sockets) support....

#4 Incompatible

by Shinglor <shinglor@optusnet.com.au>

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 8:40 PM

#8 Reply

by Dizzle

Wednesday August 11th, 2004 9:07 PM

Don't work in Opera. It doesn't work in mozilla either. what's the deal?

#9 can't see it!

by joeyconnick

Thursday August 12th, 2004 9:57 AM

I know! I'm really interested in checking it out and all I can get is the title page... no navigation, nothing. And this is using Mozilla and even Firefox.

#10 Re: can't see it!

by Waldo_2

Thursday August 12th, 2004 1:54 PM

If you're having the problem I think you're having, click in the slide frame and then hit the Right Arrow. Without focus on that frame the slide show won't work. Someone should have added onload='focus();' to his &lt;body&gt; tags. :-)

#11 Re: Re: can't see it!

by joeyconnick