Thunderbird Migration Bugday on Tuesday

Friday August 6th, 2004

Asa Dotzler writes: "The Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client is swiftly approaching its 1.0 release, currently planned to coincide with Firefox 1.0. In order to ensure that all those happy new Thunderbird users have a great experience migrating, we're holding a special Thunderbird Migration Bonanza party all day long on Tuesday.

"Bring your Outlook, Eudora, Mozilla, Outlook Express, and Communicator e-mail clients with you and join us on IRC for a day of testing the Thunderbird migration features. The goal is to get as many testing migrations performed on as many clients and as many operating systems as possible and to discuss and record all the problems in Bugzilla.

"With your help, we can ensure that mail, account settings, and address books migration and import are all in tip-top shape for the big 1.0 release coming up. I also expect that some of you doing this migration test will see how wonderful Thunderbird is and won't want to go back to your old clients, so please join us on Tuesday on the IRC server irc.mozilla.org, channel #mozillazine for this special BugDay and we'll have a great time getting new users set up and migrated to Thunderbird. For those that aren't ready to make the leap, you can help us with some testing, trash it all when you're done and know that you helped make the Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird 1.0 release duo the best thing to happen to the Internet in years!"

#1 T Bird needs an email button in FF

by ndebord

Friday August 6th, 2004 9:20 PM

Can't have FireFox without an email button on the main toolbar that calls up Thunderbird. Defeats the promise otherwise.

N

#3 Re: T Bird needs an email button in FF

by jsperkins

Friday August 6th, 2004 9:29 PM

I'm not sure what you mean about "defeat[ing] the promise," but no problem because you the mail button is already there. Choose View > Toolbars > Customize. Then drag the envelope icon to the main toolbar. There you have it.

#4 Re: Re: T Bird needs an email button in FF

by Gnu

Friday August 6th, 2004 11:31 PM

He might be on Linux, in which case (last I heard) there's no mail button yet.

#19 Re: Re: Re: T Bird needs an email button in FF

by buff

Saturday August 7th, 2004 1:08 PM

Yah, I have Fedora linux and am running FF but there is no email button. Bummer, I hope it makes it in by the next release.

#32 Re: Re: Re: Re: T Bird needs an email button in FF

by Moparx

Saturday August 7th, 2004 10:43 PM

im running a nightly build of FF on linux, and its had a email button for quite awhile now :)

#36 Mail Icon not in Mac Firefox

by Stork

Sunday August 8th, 2004 4:54 AM

The Mac OS X version 0.93 does not have an email icon in the Custom View. It does have a "Sage" icon, but I haven't a clue what that is all about. --Stork

#40 Sage

by Rick

Sunday August 8th, 2004 10:23 AM

Sage is a lightweight RSS and ATOM feed aggregator extension for Mozilla Firefox. <http://sage.mozdev.org/>

#50 Re: T Bird needs an email button in FF

by pbreit

Monday August 9th, 2004 2:59 PM

You have got to be joking! There is little or no value of having a mail button on your browser's toolbar. Neither Windows not MacOS has this and people seem to do just fine.

#56 Re: Re: T Bird needs an email button in FF

by Smigit

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 4:35 AM

internet explorer has it as does every browser I've ever used. I use windows so im not missing the button myself, but i have it visible and do use it.

#2 thunderbird link to browser

by jaronson

Friday August 6th, 2004 9:21 PM

how do i link thunderbird to a browser so that web addresses in emails can be opened directly from thunderbird?? also on the old netscape communicator it was possible to highlight and save as more than one email message. why is suhc a feature not available on tbird???

#64 Re: thunderbird link to browser

by thunderthom

Friday August 20th, 2004 3:59 PM

I am having the same issues as jaronson When i click on a hyperlink nothing happens. I have to always right click, copy link then open up Firefox and then paste the address into the navigation bar. This is a bit of an annoyance as it is a feature that is readily available in other mail programs. In addition when I go to Help and click on Thunderbird help nothing happens. Is there no Help for Thunderbird? Can anyone offer any advice?

#65 Re: thunderbird link to browser

by thunderthom

Friday August 20th, 2004 4:05 PM

#5 Thunderbird 1.0?

by big_surfer

Friday August 6th, 2004 11:55 PM

We are at release 0.7. 0.8 was to be released in July, 0.9 in August. Will they drop 0.8 and 0.9 and go to 1.0 directly? Time is getting short!

#41 Yes, good question.

by naylor83 <d.naylor@swipnet.se>

Sunday August 8th, 2004 12:09 PM

Yes, the question popped up in my mind too. Does anyone know? Can they really make TB 1.0 by mid/late September?

#6 Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? like as Gmail?

by sunose

Saturday August 7th, 2004 12:10 AM

if Thunderbird can get Gmail, I think this will become as sale Point!

do you think?

#7 Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? like as Gm

by Smigit

Saturday August 7th, 2004 2:31 AM

it wont happen, or at least yet. Gmail doesnt have IMAP or POP3. So theres no way for Thunderbird to connect. You can get an external program somewheere that will accomplish what you no doubt want, however it isnt an email client and i doubt any email clients will support Gmail until they introduce POP or IMAP.

offtopic but personally ive been very dissapointed with Gmail. It has almost no functionality that you cant get elsewhere already. The selling point is the 1GB but when on their "new features" list they have safari support as a feature, then they are really scraping for things to list. Yahoomail is far better IMHO if you can over look the lack of space, with 100megs still being a huge amount anyway.

#8 Re: Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? like a

by Waldo_2

Saturday August 7th, 2004 2:36 AM

...and the ads, the overpowering interface, the lack of support for conversations (or some method of threading that works well), the labels (which make more sense than folders for sure), and more (I've barely used Yahoo Mail, so forgive any factual errors I made - but please don't hesitate to tell me about them)...

Sure Gmail's probably overhyped, but in my opinion it's got more going for it than any other webmail interface out there.

In any case, isn't the point of Gmail to use it as webmail? Unless you're just periodically archiving, I don't see a really good reason to use Thunderbird to access it.

#13 Re: Re: Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? li

by Smigit

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:56 AM

well theres 1 ad banner and 1 or 2 text links, which google uses too so if you can over look the ad banner then in terms of ads its no different, except the ads arent based on wur emails content. The interface has been improved alot in the last 6months or so and is rather clean IMHO and conversations can just be keeping old text in emails and writing at the begining, except that the email sizwe will get successively larger and you cant collapse older messages. Like the banners and conversation, labels is a matter of preference. Anyway my real gripe with Gmail is its lack of email customisation in terms of how you can pretty emails up and also added things like address books which are quite useful, and i found gmaiuls lacking.

Anyway i see no point in the developers developing for gmail specifically since its still in beta. you could create some faily comples algorithms that get the emails through a sorta invisible browser like i know 1 program does and then itll tell you when you have new emails and you can then get outlook to access that and it feeds the text into a email client (im not sure if thats exactly how it works, but on the foreums here there is an app u can dload to get TB to work on gmail by sitting between gmail and ur TB client and relaying info between the 2). But this would be senseless since Gmail is in beta still and for all anyone knows, in the future they will offer pop3 or IMAP connectivity, meaning the time spent creating gmail specific functions went to waste. IMO anyway, others will disagree

Anyway heres a topic on the gmail FAQ

6. Does Gmail support automatic forwarding and POP3 access? Not at the moment, but Google believes in helping people access information whenever and however they want to do so. In the future you will be able to access Gmail messages from non-Gmail accounts for free or at a nominal fee.

someone mentioned yahoo and hotmail 2. Hotmails settings and yahoos are both actively avaiable and supported by the company and thus the connections are possible. gmail will work if they allow the use of pop3, imap or even http as hotmail uses. yahoo requires a subscriptiuon however...you may be able to circumvent this but.

#30 Re: Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? like a

by FirefoxFreak

Saturday August 7th, 2004 7:09 PM

and for $20.00 a year you can have twice the space of Gmail (2 GB) AND POP (as well as web) access. I do and I love it.

#10 Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? like as Gm

by MvD

Saturday August 7th, 2004 5:51 AM

Yeah, support for hotmail and Yahoo would also be pretty useful and it shouldn't be too hard to implement (at least on the receiving side of things) since there are some GPL projects that add webmail support to any email client.

#39 Re: Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? like a

by buff

Sunday August 8th, 2004 9:15 AM

Support for Yahoo mail out of the box would make me an instant convert.

#48 Re: Re: Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? li

by Smigit

Sunday August 8th, 2004 11:29 PM

it does support yahoo accounts, however you need to be a pay subscriber before Yahoo gives your account pop abilities.

#60 Re: Re: Re: Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail

by teksaver

Wednesday August 11th, 2004 2:00 AM

only for yahoo.com adresses yahoo.fr pop3 is (still) free

#14 Re: Thunderbird plant to get Web Mail? like as Gm

by Jax

Saturday August 7th, 2004 7:41 AM

I get my Gmail just fine with Pop Goes the Gmail. At least for the time being, until Google decides it's time to charge for pop access...

#9 is it possible to migrate in opposite direction?

by ivanii

Saturday August 7th, 2004 3:11 AM

Probably it is the most important to have good OE to TB conversion. Still, people will feel unsafe if they cannot escape from TB if there is a need to do so (e.g. their cheef orders them to do so).

I've experimented with this and I just could not do that. Texturizer.net says that you should import messages in other clients as Eudora mail, but it just doesn't work (OE, Outlook, The Bat). The only tip on the web was to use some java application which extracts messages from the TB files, but due to its bug it cannot extract more than 100 messages at once. So it is very time consuming to do this, and finally you won't have any of your message flags and other things which should flow between the mail clients.

If TB is serious in taking on OE it should have this option. And first step towards that would be to allow to save multiple messages as .eml files.

#11 Import address book from Outlook

by loec01

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:31 AM

There is one error I was seeing since many months but I didn't bother as it doesn't happen often for me:

When you are using the Outlook Contacts, and import Contacts from an Exchange Gobal Address List, the email address is not imported as the email address but imported as an pointer to the mailbox object. This allows Outlook to be flexibel with changing email addresses within Exchange.

However, Thunderbird (and Mozilla Mail) is only importing this pointer, and it looks like this: /o=ORG/ou=SITE01/cn=Recipients/cn=SomeUserID The primary email address can be anything else but SomeUserID.....

Is there a meta bug to file these importing issues as there is a general approach?

#12 sorry guys. you miss the point.

by smkatz

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:36 AM

Somewhere on this box, I've got Eudora Mail databases, which were corrupt so I imported them into The Bat!

I now have a Mozilla mail store, an Opera M2 mail store, (because of its Gmail-like interface), and my 'original' Bat! mail store. I also have my Windows address book, my Mozilla address book, my Palm address book.

The purpose of a Windows address book is that it is centralized.

When will I be able since most of the aforementioned clients use MBOX anyway to access all mail, and all contacts from a central location, no matter what program I used at the time?

Longhorn? Outlook 2006?

--Sam

#15 Re: sorry guys. you miss the point.

by c960657

Saturday August 7th, 2004 8:00 AM

You can store your email in one single location with IMAP. IMAP has been around for years and works like a charm.

Either install an IMAP server on your local machine or - if possible - get an account on a server that is always online. By using a server that is always online, you can access your email from home, from your job, from your mobile phone and anywhere else using either an IMAP client of your choice or a web interface like Squirrelmail.

#57 [nt] want your favorites--mozilla 1.5a and above.

by smkatz

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 9:44 AM

I'm primarily concerned with contacts, not mail. I have IMAP.. and Mozilla Mail manages it clunkily. I use Opera Mail instead because my mail is auto-sorted, which makes the IMAP seem faster.

--Sam

#16 TB lacks essential features

by johann_p

Saturday August 7th, 2004 9:14 AM

TB may be a nice alternative for the casual user, but for anyone who has serious email work to do it is just not featurerich enough (that goes for the suite too). The most important things missing are: * allow to assign arbitrary keywords to emails and search for them; * allow to assiciate deadlines with alarsm and follow-up actions; * have a good fulltext search over many folders; * allow to remove attachments from stored email; * a user friendly way to plug in third party spamfilters or email classifiers.

I am pretty sure that within only a year or so, other email programs will have most of these features - and they are indispensible if one has to deal with hundreds of emails per day (or even per week).

#17 Re: TB lacks essential features

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Saturday August 7th, 2004 11:18 AM

"I am pretty sure that within only a year or so, other email programs will have most of these features - and they are indispensible (sic) if one has to deal with hundreds of emails per day (or even per week)."

I honestly don't know many people that use email more heavily than I do and I can say without reservation that none of those features are "indispensable" to me and that Thunderbird is more than "featurerich enough" for lots of very heavy mail users like me. Some days I receive as many as 500 emails and I've never said to myself, "if only I could assign arbitrary keywords to emails, my email would be easier to manage." Some of your suggestions are nice, and I have at times wished for the ability to delete attachments from stored mail (only because I use IMAP with a space quota), but to suggest that these features are "indispensable" for "anyone who has serious email work to do" is just silly. It's beyond silly, it's a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of people doing serious email work without difficulty -- and with far more advantage than they'd have under other email programs -- that prove your contention wrong.

--Asa

#20 Re: Re: TB lacks essential features

by w_j_s

Saturday August 7th, 2004 2:13 PM

Both Thunderbird and Firefox Linux lack essential features: There ist no easy way to make Thunderbird open HTML links in Firefox or Firefox to open Thunderbird for mailto:-links or NVu for editing web sites? For me this is the main reason, why I still use Mozilla suite on my Linux machine. BTW why NVu isn't mentionned in the projects section of mozilla.org? Your target ist the end user. An avarage end user doesn't know PHP, (s)he uses Front Page for the creation of web sites and uses Front Page Viewer (aka MS Internet Explorer) for surfing the web.

#24 Re: Re: Re: TB lacks essential features

by Smigit

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:33 PM

NVU isnt by the mozilla foundation, thats why

#37 Re: Re: Re: Re: TB lacks essential features

by w_j_s

Sunday August 8th, 2004 4:57 AM

So N|Vu should be listed here: <http://www.mozilla.org/pr…jects/other-projects.html>

If you want to move away from the Front Page net, you need more than a browser or an eMail client, you also have to provide an excellent web editing tool (and much more). There are still too many web editing tools which require MSIE. In other words: If you want to take back the web from Redmond, you have to compete with a platform, not with a browser and a mailer. It's Windows versus Gecko, single platform versus cross platform.

#22 silly?

by johann_p

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:27 PM

Honestly, if something is silly, then an argument that so stupidly waves away what innovation is about. Yes, you could probably manage your emails with mutt too. So these features are not "indispensible" in the strict sense. However, once innovation comes to other email clients, TB will look pretty old. Assigning keywords is a much better way to organize emails than the old-fashioned folder approach, simply because emails usually belong to several categories at once. Follow up actions with alarms help to keep track of what you have to DO in response of emails. All this is currently still new and only present in a few programs, but once it gets e.g. into Outlook, noone will want to miss it (actually, assignment of multiple keywords is one of the features possible in outlook that I hear to be missing most often from users who have converted - and I converted a lot of users in a corporate setting). My point is that while TB is a nice "yet another email client" it needs features that provide some additional value to get really successful. I have worked with many different email clients, and TB is one of the truely bare-bones ones. These features are nowhere in sight. You call a pledge for innovation instead of reimplementation silly - I call your lack of vision ridiculous.

#21 Re: TB lacks essential features

by Skyfaller

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:14 PM

Johann is right about needing good text searching in Thunderbird. A couple of my friends at the EFF, despite their ideological support for open source, still use other proprietary e-mail clients. One of them demonstrated why, and I found their argument very convincing. They ran a search term on the same large body of e-mail, once in Eudora, once in Thunderbird. Eudora returned all of the e-mail matching the search term very quickly, practically instantaneously. Thunderbird churned at the e-mail for a long time, over 10 seconds. If I had as large a stash of e-mail as they did, and I needed to search it regularly, it is possible that I would find Thunderbird unsatisfactory as well. I don't know if this experience is typical, but in the competition for searching e-mail rapidly, I was shocked at how far behind Thunderbird was, considering how relatively polished it is in many other areas.

#25 Re: TB lacks essential features

by Skyfaller

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:36 PM

#49 Re: TB lacks essential features

by tetrode

Monday August 9th, 2004 2:00 AM

It does lack essential features. Please take of your elite hat, and try to put on a business one. I use Outlook (not Express), together with Nelson Email Organiser Pro, and I find that even Outlook lacks essential features. For example

- You cannot search in multiple .pst files in one go.

- The .pst files are not word indexed

Thus searches in Outlook take a while. So I bought Nelso Email Organiser Pro to overcome for these (and other) lacking features. Most business people treat their e-mail as a repository / to do list / knowledge base / what do I know, not a simple e-mail client. At home, I use Thunderbird quite a while already, for sending and receiving e-mail.

I have tried already twice (v0.5 and v0.7) to import my Outlook mail (2 Gb) and see whether I could use it for business purposes, but for the moment, this is not possible.

I can make a long list of (my) requirements, and why I cannot migrate, but I don't know whether this is the place to do so.

Mark

#18 Re: TB lacks essential features (reply to Asa)

by EyesOnly

Saturday August 7th, 2004 12:23 PM

Hi Asa,

You said that you often wished that you could delete attachments that were from stored mail? AusDilesse has come out with a fantastic "Thunderbird Attachments Tool" extention which can be found here: <http://www.supportware.net/mozilla/#ext9> which will handle small attachments all the way up to like 40 or 50megs with no problem. For someone like me who deals with a lot of software transfers via email (on a K-Meleon build team) it's invaluable for deleting files after they've been saved to the hard drive but for keeping the letters. I'm not sure about this version of the extention but in the one that I have it leaves a little icon of the file with the word "erased" beside it which is very handy!

And yes, it does work on IMAP and POP3 mail both. The developer thought of everything. This extension gets installed first whenever doing an update (Tagzilla second!).

I hope this helped?

Eyes-Only "L'Peau-Rouge"

#23 converting from windows outlook to ALL LINUX!

by GoldFish

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:32 PM

The one thing that is stopping me from using linux 100% and not windows, is that my entire email archive is trapped in an outlook archive file, that to my knowledge can only be read by outlook. outlook express can't even read it. So if you guys are telling me that I can switch that archive over to thunderbird under linux, that would make all my dreams come true.

Just thought I would throw in that there are a lot of projects on sourceforge to allow you to retreive non-pop3 accounts like yahoo and hotmail. just do a search on <http://sourceforge.net/> for you email service. I use <http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net/> and it works great for retriving my hotmail.

#26 Re: converting from windows outlook to ALL LINUX!

by mlefevre

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:38 PM

Unfortunately not. The Outlook import works (like most other Outlook imports I've seen) by communicating with the Outlook software itself, so that Outlook reads the file and passes the messages over. So I think you'd have to take your outlook file to a Windows installation with Outlook, and do the import there.

#61 Accessing Outlook Archive Folders from Linux

by yates <randy.yates@sonyericsson.com>

Wednesday August 11th, 2004 8:13 AM

Have you tried gnus/xemacs? I haven't specifically tried reading archive folders, but I am using it to access our corporate exchange server and retrieve my emails, and knowing gnus' capability/extensibility it seems very possible it may do it or be easy to add.

#62 Accessing Outlook Archive Folders from Linux

by yates <randy.yates@sonyericsson.com>

Wednesday August 11th, 2004 8:13 AM

#63 Re: converting from windows outlook to ALL LINUX!

by hubick <chris@hubick.com>

Wednesday August 11th, 2004 12:47 PM

It's been a few years now, but I *think* I did this by proxying through Eudora. IIRC I imported into Eudora, and it uses the common mbox format which moz could read? I may have had to export from Eudora, don't remember, just thought I would provide some clue :)

#27 Deadliness of deadlines?

by Skyfaller

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:39 PM

Also, Eric S. Raymond says in the Cathedral and the Bazaar that open source and deadlines do not mix well:

"[HBS] The split between Linux's experimental and stable versions has another function related to, but distinct from, hedging risk. The split attacks anither problem: the deadliness of deadlines. When programmers are held both to an immutable feature list and a fixed drop-dead date, quality goes out the window and there is likely a colossal mess in the making."

Is this true? If it is generally true, but does not apply to Mozilla, why does it not apply? What makes Mozilla different from other open source projects?

#28 Re: Deadliness of deadlines?

by Skyfaller

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:42 PM

Ha, ha... if I had kept on reading, I would have seen this elaboration:

"One way to do this is to fix the deadline but leave the feature list flexible, allowing features to drop off if not completed by deadline. This is essentially the strategy of the "stable" kernel branch; Alan Cox (the stable-kernel maintainer) puts out releases at fairly regular intervals, but makes no guarantees about when particular bugs will be fixed or features back-ported from the experimental branch.

The other way to do this is to set a desired feature list and deliver only when it is done. This is essentially the strategy of the "experimental" kernel branch. De Marco and Lister cited research showing that this scheduling policy ("wake me up when it's done") produces not only the highest quality but, on average, shorter delivery times than either "realistic" or "aggressive" scheduling.

I have come to suspect (as of early 2000) that in earlier versions of this paper I severely underestimated the importance of the "wake me up when it's done" anti-dealine policy to the open-source community's productivity and quality. General experience with the rushed GNOME 1.0 in 1999 suggests that pressure for a premature release can neutralize many of the quality benefits open source normally confers.

It may well turn out to be that the process transparency of open source is one of three coequal drivers of its quality, along with "wake me up when it's done" scheduling and developer self-selection. "

Given this more complete quotation, what do you folks have to say? Why is Mozilla Thunderbird not like GNOME 1.0? Or was ESR wrong that GNOME 1.0 had poor quality, or wrong about the reasons for its poor quality?

#29 Re: Deadliness of deadlines?

by mlefevre

Saturday August 7th, 2004 6:44 PM

If you've followed Mozilla for any length of time, you'll know that the "deadlines" aren't fixed drop-dead dates. Feature lists aren't immutable either. Firefox/Thunderbird do have something of a deadline, which may cause quality not to be quite as carefully watched as it might be, but I doubt it will be actually "going out of the window", because the schedule and feature list aren't rigid.

#31 I can't even import my emails from Mozilla

by Augusto

Saturday August 7th, 2004 7:40 PM

Am I doing something wrong, or the "import" feature in Thunderbird junk?

When I go to import my old email, it doesn't even have Mozilla as an option! It shows Outlook Express(which I don't use), Outlook (not installed) Netscape Communicator 4 (not installed on the machine) and Eudora (not installed)!

Is it too much to ask for it to import from Mozilla?!?! I clicked on communicator just for the heck of it btw, and it just hangs there doing nothing ...

Same for address book, can't import it from Mozilla!

#44 Re: I can't even import my emails from Mozilla

by ithica28

Sunday August 8th, 2004 3:30 PM

Before you whine about missing features you could try the roadmap:

"...Looking ahead, Thunderbird 0.8 will ship in July of 2004. It will be a feature oriented release. Some things to look for in 0.8: - Mozilla Suite Profile Migration - Support for migrating profiles from the Mozilla 1.x Application Suite. - ..." - <http://www.mozilla.org/pr…/thunderbird/roadmap.html>

Obviously 0.8 won't ship in July, but this feature has nevertheless been available in the 0.8 test builds for at least a month ...

#33 Sunbird?

by Ark42

Saturday August 7th, 2004 11:02 PM

I'm really curious about Sunbird. Most people I know that use Outlook also use the calendar some limited amount. Without Sunbird or Calendar integrated with the Thunderbird installer as an option, I can't convince many people to switch to a program with less functionality.

#34 FIX THE FUCKING PRINTING BUGS FIRST!

by dgtlmoon <leighm@linuxbandwagon.com>

Sunday August 8th, 2004 12:38 AM

FIX THE FUCKING PRINTING BUGS IN MOZILLA FIRST!

#46 Re: FIX THE FUCKING PRINTING BUGS FIRST!

by Waldo_2

Sunday August 8th, 2004 6:03 PM

Thank you for being courteous.

#58 Re: FIX THE FUCKING PRINTING BUGS FIRST!

by tseelee

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 6:06 PM

Like I tell young children, if you can say something, other people can, too, and you won't like it when they do it to you. So let's be mature here, please.

#35 things that _need_ to be done

by gullevek <gullevek@gullevek.org>

Sunday August 8th, 2004 2:34 AM

- HTML links. you need to be able to open in new browser, new tab, etc and that with your default browsers (especially in linux) - better filters: the basic filters are too basic. I have no possiblity to simple "make copy of mail in other folder" or such things. Or any regex filters. Since switching from The Bat! those things are really things I miss: good filters - Calendar: Without a proper calendar like in outlook nobody in professional area (office!) will switch. A central calendar system is the "go!" or "no go!" for Thunderbird. Central calendars get more and more important. Outlook with Exchange can do that. As long as there is no proper Open Source solution, Thunderbird will never be able to replace that (on the client side). - better IMAP implementation: set folders which should be checked for new mail, properties for folder rights, etc like Mulberry has already. This would be one of my top wishes net to better filters - views: filter but not physically (like in evolution) - more colors for flagging!

But the good things are: - Best client for multi language enviorments (can give each language own fontset!). - SSL for IMAP, etc something very important and good that it is here - perfect Enigmail GPG implementation. wished it would be default thought. - Same on Linux, Windows, etc. - quite good built in filters (thought thats more for home users, who don't have a central spam fitler solution on their servers). - multiple seperated accounts for pop/imap, etc - default mbox format: its default i can be fixed with simple tools like a text editor - flexible view (read, unread, etc)

#38 Time?

by confabulator

Sunday August 8th, 2004 8:25 AM

What time will this event be taking place? Is it all day?

#55 Re: Time?

by mlefevre

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 3:47 AM

Usual time for bug day is all day PDT (USA west coast time).

#42 I'd like to switch to Thunderbird and Firefox, but

by spira <spira@panix.com>

Sunday August 8th, 2004 12:48 PM

I use the Send Page feature in the Mozilla Suite quite often. But last time I checked, I can't do that from Firefox with Thunderbird. The Send Page function in Firefox is really just a send link function. Ironically, I can send page in Thunderbird from IE.

#43 Migration from Eudora issue.

by sanderg

Sunday August 8th, 2004 12:55 PM

I migrated 2 computers from Eudora 6.0.1.1 at the same day. One with the e-mail in Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora (same as the program itself), one with the email in Documents and Settings. The 2nd one did not want to import messages, or the address book. I had to put it in OE first, then from OE to Tb.

#45 hotmail support, virtual folder and threads

by bugmenot

Sunday August 8th, 2004 3:42 PM

There are two things that I would like the developers to implement before TB 0.8/0.9/1.0 are released. One of them is httpmail support, which is used by hotmail and lycos. Although this is better implemented as an extension, no one has shown any interest yet and even though there are programs like MrPostman that act like a proxy, it is really a waste of system resource to run such programs as services since they are not needed all the time (besides, MrPostman is written in Java and Java==CPU and Resource Hog) Thus, I hope someone from the TB team will implement it as a core function or a bundled extension.

Another feature I would like to request is to swtich from the present folder email management system to a virtual folder based system, where email are placed in one or more virtual folders when they match certain criterias (the following fields should be used for the matching process: subject, sender's address, email account, email content, referrer, user assigned keyword, auto generated keywords etc.). Users should be allow to create multiple folder trees to view their emails in different ways. This feature would definitely help those who has multiple account and large amount of email.

Lastly, I would like the developers to implement a gmail like threading mode, which has been proven to be quite popular among gmail users.

#47 What about linux users?

by febs

Sunday August 8th, 2004 11:26 PM

You forgot about most popular linux mail clients, KMail and Evolution among others. Why don't you focus on migration from these clients too? Thank you very much

#51 1.0?

by jerom

Monday August 9th, 2004 3:01 PM

Cool. Haven't checked nightlies yet, but as of 0.7.x: - thunderbird is still very unstable with user profiles (BSD and Linux builds) - memory consumption is almost twice that of firefox - public IMAP folders or directly accessing subfolders is troublesome

#53 Re: 1.0?

by Jugalator

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 1:41 AM

I agree. I think Thunderbird is ready for 0.8, not 1.0. :-/

#52 Re: Re: Re: Insert Table

by jdakula

Monday August 9th, 2004 3:10 PM

I'd really like to see multipart binary decryption included...and while we're at it, Yenc support. But, sadly, I have none of the skills needed to make this happen.

#54 Re: Re: Re: Re: Insert Table

by mlefevre

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 3:45 AM

I believe YEnc support is in already. It only works for single parts though (not including multipart format with 1 part). It's the multipart stuff that's needed.

#59 Migration from Outlook Address Book

by rolf_mueller

Tuesday August 10th, 2004 11:44 PM

I am about to migrate from Outlook to TB. My environment is a IMAP server and a couple of clients around it. The address book is the issue, not the mails. Up to know, I keep the addresses in one .pst file, which is stored in a central repository (Subclipse), hence I can replicate the addresses to all clients. With TB the address book is pretty in-transparent. What files does an address book relate to? Where are they stored? How does it work with multiple users on one PC? Also, the migration from Outlook Address Books into TB, even though it works fine, is a mystery to me. It is doing something, and after a while, it created the all the address books I had in Outlook for all users. Why isn't there a step in between, where I select a .pst file, and the migration program then migrates exactly the entries in that particular .pst file? My other option is to set up a LDAP server besides my IMAP server... Has anyone done that using Outlook and TB as clients?