Full Article Attached Minutes of the mozilla.org Staff Meeting of Monday 21st June 2004

Monday July 12th, 2004

The minutes of the mozilla.org staff meeting held on Monday 21st June 2004 are now online. Issues discussed include Mozilla 1.7, the Aviary branch, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird and Camino.

#1 less is more for end users shown by stats

by buff

Monday July 12th, 2004 1:30 PM

>>Many more FF downloads than suite

Yah, I stopped testing the suite about 2 months ago. FF does just about everything I need with extensions. I was thinking that it is kind of funny to think of all the time, money and energy that went into the suite and it appears users just wanted a slim, fast, good working browser. Go figure. ;-)

#2 Re: less is more for end users shown by stats

by arielb

Monday July 12th, 2004 1:48 PM

People want choice, small downloads and most important that if you crash or have to restart the browser for some reason, you don't lose your email

#3 Re: Re: less is more for end users shown by stats

by mr_anon

Monday July 12th, 2004 2:44 PM

YOu do if you use Gmail :p

#8 Re: Re: Re: less is more for end users shown by st

by arielb

Monday July 12th, 2004 8:29 PM

that's why I use imap. email on the web in case my computer is messed up or I go somewhere else. email on my hard drive in case the "internet" is messed up (browser crash,network down, somehow messing my connection by fidling too much,etc)

#4 Re: Re: less is more for end users shown by stats

by jilles

Monday July 12th, 2004 2:54 PM

I never cared about the size of the download. IMHO this is a myth. Broadband has been available for years and very few geeks actually have modems these days. The suite is just as solid as it smaller relatives so that is BS too. The real reason people are moving over is that the suite looks ugly, has a poorly integrated (but extensive) featureset and includes a lot of stuff you are unlikely to ever use. On top of that the primary layout of its features, menus and buttoms seems more or less fixed in stone, including the many usability issues.

Firefox and thunderbird have addressed all of these issues and many people are now convinced they are better products and that is why people are moving over. The 1.0 releases of both will inevitably turn the suite into a legacy product that some may feel compelled to maintain because of corporate interests. It wouldn't surprise me if eventually some firefox features such as the extension manager will be backported but I fully expect to see new features first on Firefox & Thunderbird.

#9 Re: Re: Re: less is more for end users shown by st

by arielb

Monday July 12th, 2004 8:30 PM

Firefox isn't for geeks anymore. That's why it's getting dloads.

#6 Re: less is more for end users shown by stats

by roseman

Monday July 12th, 2004 3:44 PM

some of us DO still like the suite... maybe leftover netscape habit, haveing newsgroups & browser together.. whatever. we still want the suite to be available

#5 Thunderbird 1.0

by thelem

Monday July 12th, 2004 3:30 PM

When is Thunderbird 1.0 planned for release, and how will it relate to Firefox 1.0 and Mozilla 1.7?

I've seen mentions of Aviary 1.0, which would suggest synced releases of FF and TB, but it doesn't seem like TB will be ready in time.

I checked the roadmap document, and while parts of it have been updated there are still parts which mention Phoenix (it is also too long).

#10 Re: Thunderbird 1.0

by mlefevre

Tuesday July 13th, 2004 4:15 AM

Which roadmap document did you check?

<http://www.mozilla.org/pr…/thunderbird/roadmap.html> suggests that TB 0.9 is targeted for August - doesn't mention dates for 1.0, but stuff I've seen (including these minutes) suggests that they're aiming to get TB 1.0 out around the same time as FF 1.0. I guess it depends how things are looking nearer the time...

#7 One feature I really want from suite

by mfedyk

Monday July 12th, 2004 7:27 PM

And that's "send page as attachment".

Right now "send page" in firefox is "send link" in mozilla.

#11 Re: One feature I really want from suite

by hobbes78

Tuesday July 13th, 2004 7:16 AM

I could define three levels here. The poorest one would be to just send a link to the page currently loaded. The intermediate one would consist on sending an HTML e-mail message; the code of this message would be same as the one of the page currently loaded, only with a base tag added to the head containing the original document's location. The richest level would probably be dependant on bug 40873, and would basically be similar to the intermediate level, this time including the referenced images. On all three cases, the title would become the e-mail's subject.

Instead of voting Bush, vote bug 40873 ;-)

#12 Re: One feature I really want from suite

by mfedyk

Tuesday July 13th, 2004 1:48 PM

It looks like bug 40873 will avoid the problems of different versions of pages being emailed when dynamic pages are attached if the mhtml is transferred from firefox to thunderbird.

I forget what bug that is though...

#13 l10n

by tsahi

Tuesday July 13th, 2004 2:46 PM

"Should we have an announce list for localizers?" there is an annouce list for localizers, sort of. the n.p.m.l10n news group, which is also distributed as a mailing list (i don't remeber the email address now). all localizers read it, and information like how to pack a 0.9 build should have been posted there *before* the release, not a week after it.