Scott Collins Interview at Ars Technica

Wednesday June 16th, 2004

jorge castro writes in: "Ars Technica happened to run into Mozilla Foundation member and driver, Scott Collins at this year's Penguicon. Scott was kind enough to sit down with Ars and reveal a good amount of history of the Mozilla project', as well as look back to the Netscape days and comment on the direction of the Mozilla Foundation."

#1 Awesome intervew

by tomsommer <webmaster@tsn.dk>

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 12:32 PM

Truely awesome interview, loved it - lots of interesting facts...

The last sentence did it for me: "IE is a browser with no soul. I want it to be Mozilla because I think that people who care deserve a browser with a soul."

#2 Re: Awesome intervew

by fgxh298

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:02 PM

I smell a new catch phrase...

"The Browser Reloaded" "Take Back the Web" "Browse with Soul"

#6 Re: Awesome intervew

by Jugalator

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 11:58 PM

Hehe, but I'd get a serious geek factor if I tried to convince people by telling them "but IE has no soul!". :) I personally did find that statement a bit corny. :-P I want mostly tabs, stability, security and ad/popup blocking and give a damn about souls. :-)

#3 Really great article

by aha <aha@pinknet.cz>

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 2:34 PM

For example parts about Tinderbox or Netscape/Mozilla's mistakes are very interesting.

#4 Code Rush

by ChrisI

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 3:34 PM

Lots of mentioning of the documentary "Code Rush". I saw it a couple of years ago, and loved it. FWIW, I found it at my local library.

#5 If I had a time machine...

by buff

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 5:44 PM

If I had a time machine I would persuade the old Nescape executives to release version 5.0 of the old code base and see what happens. I know, I know, most of the engineers claim it was junk. Possibly it could have held of Microsoft longer and allowed more time for the new Mozilla 6.0 browser to come out.

#7 Re: If I had a time machine...

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Thursday June 17th, 2004 6:08 AM

"If I had a time machine I would persuade the old Nescape executives to release version 5.0 of the old code base and see what happens."

The code was released.

<http://lxr.mozilla.org/classic/source/>

Alex

#8 If I had a time machine...

by thelem

Thursday June 17th, 2004 9:13 AM

Then I'd make sure Mozilla had a different user agent, something like Gecko/1.7 (...)

Think about it, back then there were loads of scripts on the net which looked for Netscape 4, and served it one page, and anything else they served another page. By telling them we were Netscape 5, we were given the Netscape 4 page.

We would still have been given Netscape 4 pages sometimes, but more often we would have been given the IE pages.

The advantages this would have now are: * Mozilla would have a greater market share because it worked on more sites back then. * The UA now would be easier to understand. (IIRC the current one says "I'm a browser which is compatible with a browser which is compatible with Netscape"), leading to better reporting of browser share * No one would be wondering why there were people using Netscape 5 visiting their site.

#9 gecko change

by arielb

Thursday June 17th, 2004 9:44 AM

the mozilla community put the proposal to go straight to gecko via petition. I myself added my name to that petition

#10 gecko change

by arielb

Thursday June 17th, 2004 9:58 AM

#11 Curious who this exec is.

by leet

Thursday June 17th, 2004 4:19 PM

<eom>

#12 Version 5 features?

by jelwell

Thursday June 17th, 2004 4:52 PM

So what did the unreleased "Netscape 5" have that 4 did not? Or was the feature set never built because the code base was scrapped too early on when deciding to go with Gecko? Joseph Elwell.

#13 Re: Version 5 features?

by arielb