Mozilla Thunderbird 0.7 Released

Wednesday June 16th, 2004

Scott MacGregor writes "The Mozilla Foundation released Thunderbird 0.7 today. New features include a smaller download size, significant performance improvements on all platforms, a new themes and extensions manager, and many bug fixes and other improvements. More on what's new can be found in the Mozilla Foundation's press release.

"Thunderbird now has promotional website banner images and a signature campaign which users can leverage to help spread the Thunderbird word. Read More."

"Builds are currently available from the Thunderbird releases page, along with the current set of Release Notes, or directly from the 0.7 directory on ftp.mozilla.org."

#1 ...

by Grauw

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 12:18 PM

Whoa, Thunderbird is moving fast! I guess they want the 1.0 to coincide with Firefox, eh ^_^. Now let's hope it will not only release fast, but also mature fast. Because although it is very much usable, it still has its issues and is obviously still a 'technology preview'. I'll check out this new version right away :).

#22 Re: ...

by Jugalator

Thursday June 17th, 2004 12:27 AM

Fast? Yes, as fast as Firefox at least :) Wasn't Tb 0.6 released along with Fx 0.8 too?

#27 Re: Re: ...

by Smigit

Thursday June 17th, 2004 2:52 AM

actually 0.5 came out at the same time looking at my dload history (I dloaded them both on Feb 9) .... 0.6 was released on May 4. So its going quite a bit faster actually

#2 horray!

by MvD

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 12:48 PM

Good to see thunderbird moving along so fast! Btw, how easy is it to have a single account for multiple email addresses (OE style)?

#16 Re: horray!

by kwanbis

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 3:47 PM

me 2

#17 Bug 30057

by dalangalma

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 5:11 PM

Bug 30057 - I've been following it, and the prediction is that it'll be out by 0.8. It's certainly the only thing keeping me from switching out of OE.

#31 Re: Bug 30057

by wgianopoulos

Thursday June 17th, 2004 5:37 AM

Funny, because the fact that outlook does NOT allow you to have seperate inbvoxes for seperate POP3 accounts is one of the main reasons more people don;t use Outlook. It's good that witht he fix they made this an option so you can do it the way you want.

#37 Re: Re: Bug 30057

by kepardue

Thursday June 17th, 2004 10:05 AM

I'll agree with this completely. It sounds like it'll be a preference, sort of like choosing 2 pane or 3 pane view.

#3 Reorganize those preferences panels

by kepardue

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 12:49 PM

I think thunderbird could use some addressing of how its user interfaces are laid out. It seems a bit confusing to have a "Composition" option in the Accounts section, AND in the Options panel. They shoudl somehow be consolidated. I could see how a new user would have tons of trouble trying to figure out how to change the default font on their emails (obscurely placed under HTML options--some novices may not even know what HTML means--they might think it has something to do with webpages), and immediately have to look in a completely different location to figure out how to make their messages appear above the reply as opposed to below the reply. Not that I'm indicating that these should be account-for-account settings, but I think this could use some major reorganization.

Ken

#35 Re: Reorganize those preferences panels

by ivanii

Thursday June 17th, 2004 8:07 AM

This is a good point. I specially hate that I must switch option in account settings to turn html composing on and off. It should not be account option at all, actually such basic option should be available in mail compose window.

#36 ... and speaking of the compose window

by neilparks1

Thursday June 17th, 2004 8:31 AM

Good idea. And another option that should be offered when composing a msg: toggle word-wrap on and off.

#4 I'm convinced, but

by meyergeorg

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:01 PM

Hello all,

I have to admit I was a heavy skeptic of the new modular strategie. But the new firefox and thunderbird really do it for me, I'm convinced. But, if you have several modules, we also need interoperability. On linux, I can't open web links from within emails in firefox and I can't open thunderbird if there is an email adress on the web page. This is essential in my opinion.

I know there is some very complex workaround, but we do need a UI for this. Does anyone know for when this is planned ?

Thanks

George

#6 Re: I'm convinced, but

by meyergeorg

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:18 PM

Oh and one other thing, this is only minor, but pretty confusing and annoying for new users: The IM button in the adress book has to go if there is no functionality behind it.

George

#7 Re: Re: I'm convinced, but

by wgianopoulos

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:22 PM

Funny. It launches AIM on my system.

#9 Re: Re: Re: I'm convinced, but

by meyergeorg

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:24 PM

That's interesting. I guess this is windows only. Last time I checked on windows, it said, as on linux "AIM is not a registered protocol", but that was more than a month ago, maybe that got fixed, will check again soon.

George

#28 Re: Re: Re: I'm convinced, but

by Smigit

Thursday June 17th, 2004 2:59 AM

same here. However i think it should open the default IM client you have selected in the program defaults. Evenb better you should be able to select a different default cliet per person/list in the address book because i dont have ANYONE on AIM and I myself only have it for the sake of having it. Many ppl wont have it installed, and since not all my ppl on my contact list uses the same IM client its a bit pointless to load it by default. Hopefully itll change, itll be great to be able to click IM and itl load a IM client based on a setting for that user.

I suppose this is a legacy to the netscape ownership and AOL's ownership of netscape?

#42 IM other than AIM

by nest4eagle

Thursday August 26th, 2004 9:58 AM

I agree that you should be able to use any IM not just AIM. So when is a change going to occur?

#14 Re: I'm convinced, but

by pbreit

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:55 PM

The modular strategy is the biggest single factor for the first 5 years of Mozilla's life producing little of value and the recet two years producing a very attractive browser, an email client that is close to that and a page editor that looks very promising.

The integration points you note should be trivial to produce without requiring a suite. It already works fine in Windows and MacOS.

#24 Re: Re: I'm convinced, but

by gurnaik

Thursday June 17th, 2004 1:22 AM

I doubt if the modules could have been produced quite as quickly without all the preceding work on the suite.

#26 'Little of value'?

by leafdigital

Thursday June 17th, 2004 2:12 AM

Hellllllllllllo, troll.

Many of us still use the Mozilla suite browser, because we still like it better than Firefox. Way before Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix was even vaguely usable, a huge number of people were finding something 'of value' in the Mozilla suite browser. IMO, the Mozilla browser is still second to none and will continue in that position at least until Firebird 1.0.

(I've been using Mozilla for a good many of those five years, and much enjoying not having to use IE with its awful interface and annoying security flaws. That's a significant value to me.)

And if you believe that the Gecko layout engine and XUL are 'little of value' then clearly you haven't been using Firefox or Thunderbird recently. How about Bugzilla? Is that 'little of value'? Funny how we're just beginning to start using it in my workplace, I would have thought we'd have chosen something with more... you know... value.

Anyway, so the fact that - shockingly - some people are endeavouring to make the new stuff better than the old stuff, does not in any way indicate that the old stuff was 'little of value'.

--sam

#5 New extension manager

by neilparks1

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:14 PM

I am thoroughly confused as to how to install an extension using the new Extension Manager.

The EM launches firefox to browse the Tbird extensions page on the update site. But then what? If I left-click, Firefox tries to install the extension to itself, which of course makes no sense at all. If I right-click to download the extension, the file I get is "install.php", which does not contain the extension.

#8 Re: New extension manager

by wgianopoulos

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:24 PM

well, you won't like the answer, but the easiest way to get this working is to install the IEview extension in Firefox (assuming you are running windows) Then right click on the install link and select "open link Target in IE".

#23 Re: New extension manager

by slxception

Thursday June 17th, 2004 1:06 AM

I filed a bug on that (Bug 247062), and it is fixed now.

#32 Re: Re: New extension manager

by wgianopoulos

Thursday June 17th, 2004 5:38 AM

Great! Waitning for todays aviary nightly and I'll give it a try. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any way with any browser that I have tried to download the themes. Guess that is way there are exactly zero Thunderbird themes posted?

#34 Re: Re: Re: New extension manager

by wgianopoulos

Thursday June 17th, 2004 6:09 AM

OH I see looks like the fix was on the webserver side. Seems to work with the release Firefox 0.9. Even better! :-)

#25 Re: New extension manager

by gunther

Thursday June 17th, 2004 1:41 AM

Another alternativ is to use <http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/>. They have a complete list of 0.7 compatible extensions and they link directly to the *.XPI file. Just "Save link to disk" and you're laughing, mate!

#10 error

by Harrison

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:29 PM

I'm getting an error

The procedure entry point ?StringAllocator_wchar_t@@TAAAV?$nsStringAllocator@G@@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll

#13 Re: error

by wgianopoulos

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:42 PM

Remvoe the entire contents of the directory you are going to install thunderbird into. Also in your profile remove the chrome directory then re-install thunderbird. Also some people have had to remove the extensions directory in their profile.

#11 error

by Harrison

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:40 PM

I'm getting an error

#12 sorry

by Harrison

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 1:40 PM

sorry for the double post all

#15 Is IMAP in Thunderbird 0.7 good enough to switch??

by zookqvalem

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 2:39 PM

I am wondering is the IMAP part in Thunderbird 7.0 that work with MS-Exchange 2003 good enough for me to switch from MS-Outlook to Thunderbird 0.7????? If it is not then I'm stuck with the MS-Outlook 2003 for the time being.... Zook

#18 Re: Is IMAP in Thunderbird 0.7 good enough to swit

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 6:06 PM

IMAP in Thunderbird is great. The real question is do you understand what IMAP doesn't provide that the proprietary Outlook to Exchange connection provides.

#19 Torrents ?

by gdeka <gdeka@myrealbox.com>

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 7:56 PM

anyone ?

#20 multiple inboxes gone yet?

by stylo

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 9:29 PM

Are the multiple inboxes gone yet? (Think I had 5 of them last attempt. Never understood the reason for that. That's what filters are for.)

Ability to add accounts without adding folders? (For accounts I use only for sending.)

Send/check all your email accounts at once added yet?

Drag and drop of messages and folders added yet?

Once that's done, I'm in. I found it far too messy otherwise when last sampled. -And I want to use it!

#21 Re: multiple inboxes gone yet?

by gdeka <gdeka@myrealbox.com>

Wednesday June 16th, 2004 9:33 PM

comming in 0.8 at a guess there is a fix for it, however it was not applied to 0.7 because of the high risk of bugs

#29 Press release

by redmars

Thursday June 17th, 2004 4:30 AM

"hunderbird makes e-mailing safer, faster and easier than ever before with the industry's best implementations of features such as intelligent spam filters, a built-in spell checker, extension support, and much more."

Err, sorry I enjoy using Thunderbird a lot, but that's just BS. Thunderbird's spam filters aren't bad, but their accuracy still isn't quite on par with SpamAssassin. And the built-in spell checker is a joke, at least for German mail: it doesn't recognize composed words and sticking a lot of words together without any space in between is a favourite activity of German writers. I guess other languages have their problems as well.

MS Office OTOH has an excellent spell checker that doesn't have such problems.

#38 Re: Press release

by MvD

Thursday June 17th, 2004 11:20 AM

I believe TB should have a re-fork (or whatever its called) with the OpenOffice's spell-checker some time soon. So we should see some improvements in that area.

#39 Re: Press release

by mvl

Thursday June 17th, 2004 11:35 AM

See Bug 240600. Work is in progress.

#41 Re: Press release

by redmars

Thursday June 24th, 2004 9:03 AM

After using this version for a while I can, however, say that its spam filter finally is really excellent. I now get nearly no false positives or negatives. Spamassassin doesn't seem to be that far off anymore.

#30 Reply to Address when Posting to Newsgroups

by apmacrae

Thursday June 17th, 2004 5:04 AM

A minor complaint I had about earlier versions of Thunderbird was that the "reply to" address for Usenet news posts was validated to check that it was a real email address. Desirable behaviour you might think.

However, I like the behaviour of Outlook Express which allowed you to specify addresses of the form: 1) m e @ h o m e . n e t 2) andy at home dot net

Quoting yoru address like this can be usefull to reduce the chance of bots obtaining your email address (for spam etc) by scanning news posts. At the same time they are easy for a human to interpret.

#33 Re: Reply to Address when Posting to Newsgroups

by neilparks1

Thursday June 17th, 2004 6:00 AM

There are several options available to prevent your email address from getting harvested by spambots. Check out <http://www.despammed.com> and <http://www.mailinator.com> , and send an email to <me@privacy.net> .

#40 Re: Reply to Address when Posting to Newsgroup