M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

Tuesday April 6th, 1999

Milestone 4 has been reached, and preparations begin at midnight tonight, with bug triage occurring tomorrow afternoon. If all goes well, M4 may be wrapped up by Thursday or Friday, with the tree opening up again for M5 work.

#1 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by Brad Neuberg <bkn3@columbia.edu>

Tuesday April 6th, 1999 10:35 PM

Does anyone know if M4 is ready to download for Linux yet? Has anyone tried downloading it yet? Is it stable?

Thanks, Brad Neuberg VP of Technology, BaseSystem Inc.

#2 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Tuesday April 6th, 1999 11:07 PM

If it won't be wrapped up by Thurs. or Fri., I would doubt it. They will announce here when it is downloadable.

Congrats guys, you made schedule again!

#3 M4 carnage in Seamonkey-Ports

by Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>

Wednesday April 7th, 1999 9:38 PM

Has anyone looked at the Seamonkey-Ports tinderbox page lately? It's a complete mess. Just a week or so ago there was a lot of green there. I'd hate to think that deadlines are being made now at the expense of cross-platform support.

#4 Re: M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by zontar

Thursday April 8th, 1999 8:31 AM

Well, the previous "milestone" releases were Win32 only (or at least Win32 *first*), no?

So I'd sort of expect M4 to be the same way...

#5 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by John Thacker

Thursday April 8th, 1999 10:37 AM

If you look at the logs, it seems that some of those port machines aren't even getting the new code for CVS, because they're not configured. Perhaps the owners aren't keeping everything running.

#6 Impressed

by Robin Johansson <robinjo@gnwmail.com>

Saturday April 10th, 1999 2:15 AM

I donwloaded the latest daily build to see how useful Mozilla is and I have to say that I'm impressed. I can view all my favourite pages with viewer.exe and it's fast. I can't wait to get my hands on M4 and the day when I can finally ditch the old communicator :-)

#7 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by Vidar Hokstad <v@ncg.net>

Saturday April 10th, 1999 3:45 AM

I just hope forms work properly under Linux now. That's the only remaining reason I have for sticking with Navigator... (I use the browser for bare-bones browsing only, so viewer is enough for me ;)

#8 m4: Ready for general use?

by Ganesh <vjganesh@hotmail.com>

Saturday April 10th, 1999 6:27 AM

I am a normal user (not programmer) interested in trying out Mozilla. Is this M4 ready for that? When can this become public beta?

Tks in advance

#9 m4: Ready for general use?

by Ganesh <vjganesh@hotmail.com>

Saturday April 10th, 1999 6:28 AM

Tks in advance

#10 Re:m4: Ready for general use?

by _Dan

Saturday April 10th, 1999 6:37 PM

The developer builds are pretty unstable, and are not 100% functional. So unless your willing to put up with these quirks then I sugest you wait for a real beta. I believe a public beta is suposed to released some time in June.

#11 Re:Ganesh

by zontar

Saturday April 10th, 1999 7:38 PM

There's probably nothing wrong with trying M3 (M4 when it becomes available). However, it's not fully functional -- for instance, you can't add to your bookmarks. If you do decide to give it a try, DO *NOT* USE IT TO REPLACE YOUR CURRENT VERSION OF NAVIGATOR/COMMUNICATOR -- and you should not attempt to depend upon it for mission-critical situations. Also bear in mind that no technical support is available for the developer previews or the nightly builds. I'd stay away from the nightly builds unless you're a programmer or Web developer or you're at least VERY comfortable with running test versions of software. You may also find it interferes with other apps -- for instance, on Windows, it's not a good idea to run ICQ and current versions of Mozilla at the same time. That being said, if you really want to download it just to take a look at the latest "Milestone" developer preview, it *probably* won't do your system any lasting harm, although you may find yourself rebooting from time to time if you make much use of it.

#12 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by Clay Hansen <utclayah@netscape.net>

Sunday April 11th, 1999 12:27 AM

I saw M3 specified OS8.5 for Macs. It did nothing on my OS8.1 iMac.A. A tight focus will let you get to the beta soonest, so I will wait patiently for June.

#13 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by nicknet <mozilla@nicknet.dircon.co.uk>

Sunday April 11th, 1999 1:09 AM

The Mac Apprunner, to the best of my knowledge, will only work on Mac OS > 8.5. You'll have to upgrade to see it in action.

#14 M4 works for FreeBSD

by Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>

Sunday April 11th, 1999 3:15 AM

I just updated to the M4 bits from CVS and finally got a working Mozilla (previous M4 versions bus errored immediately). I'm using it now to enter this very message! Long live the lizard!

#15 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by FrodoB

Sunday April 11th, 1999 10:00 AM

What still eludes me is why exactly they're making OS 8.5 a minimum req.... I know Appearance Manager, Internet Config, and Sherlock, but it's easy enough to make a version that degrades nicely to OS 8.1.... I can understand not supporting System 7 and making 8.1 a minimum requirement, but 8.5 excludes a good deal of people (by the same token, I wouldn't mind seeing a Mozilla for Win3.1, but that's not capable of 32 bit, which is understandably harder to make work [coupled with a good deal of bugs in Win3.11]).

#16 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by Tekhir

Sunday April 11th, 1999 11:27 AM

But if you Mac can support 8.5+ its like a free or nearlt-free upgrade to that. Its not like windows when you need to fork over 90 bucks for an upgrade.

#17 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by _Dan

Sunday April 11th, 1999 12:31 PM

"Its not like windows when you need to fork over 90 bucks for an upgrade."

According to MacMall Mac OS 8.5 is $88.99 so I guess it's just like windows. <http://www.cc-inc.com/hom…=macmall&catalog_id=2>

#18 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Sunday April 11th, 1999 2:30 PM

Is that the upgrade cost or the basic cost? Windows cost $200 unless you upgrade it from previous windows

#19 Re:Mac OS 8.5

by BrianCrusader <BrianCrusader@netscape.net>

Sunday April 11th, 1999 4:59 PM

I believe 8.5 is needed because o f certain internationalization and unicode support it provides. While this is a good sign that Apple is providing the OS infrastructure updates that app developers need, it leaves older versions behind.

In fairness the $85.99 price includes a TombRaider 2 bundled with it. OS 8 >8.1 was free, and 8.5 > 8.6 will be.

#20 Re:M4 Preparation Starts Tonight

by _Dan

Sunday April 11th, 1999 7:04 PM

According to everything I've read there is no price diffrence between upgrade or full versions.