Mozilla Developer Day Slides for Firefox, Thunderbird and Advanced RDF Talks

Sunday March 28th, 2004

Although they have been available for several weeks, many readers are probably not aware that slides from three of the talks at the Mozilla Developer Day are now online. The Mozilla Firefox slides discuss the future of the standalone browser, while the Mozilla Thunderbird slides do much the same for the standalone email and newsgroups client. A set of slides on advanced RDF completes the trio.

#1 Ooh, the irony!

by berkut

Sunday March 28th, 2004 7:57 PM

Ben's presentation doesn't work very well in Firefox, unlike in IE because it was generated by PowerPoint.

#2 Re: Ooh, the irony!

by pmsyyz

Sunday March 28th, 2004 9:39 PM

Opening the powerpoint in OpenOffice.org and exporting it to Flash and SVG would have been cool. OpenOffice probably has better HTML export also.

I hope the Foundation didn't actually spend hundreds of dollars on Microsoft Office for employees.

#3 Re: Re: Ooh, the irony!

by Ben_Goodger

Sunday March 28th, 2004 11:21 PM

No, I have my own copy that I bought a few years ago :-P Show me another tool that makes slides and the associated automation as quickly as Powerpoint within a powerful, flexible GUI environment, and I'll use it.

#8 Re: Re: Re: Ooh, the irony!

by thomas

Monday March 29th, 2004 7:36 AM

The HTML export of OpenOffice.org's »Impress« is quite good.

BTW: OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 has been released today: <http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.1/>

--Thomas

#10 Why do you think Apple went for Safari?

by tjwhaynes

Monday March 29th, 2004 12:20 PM

Coupled with the ability to work with Impress in Outline mode and bang slides out in a matter of minutes without having to worry about the formatting is a huge productivity bonus. If you don't like the layout, just work on the master slide and everything is fixed from one place.

Neat stuff

#14 Re: Re: Re: Ooh, the irony!

by RMo

Tuesday March 30th, 2004 2:29 PM

I've never tried it, but I've heard Quickshow at <http://www.philburns.com/quickshow.html> works well (though it's not free). But, still, the irony is that you'd probably need Opera, since it supports the CSS "projection" media, which will turn it into a true slideshow.

#4 Re: Ooh, the irony!

by dave532

Monday March 29th, 2004 2:08 AM

For me it looked the same in Firefox as in IE, but the Thunderbird slides were definitely the better layout.

If the ppt file of Ben's presentations are available then someone could try opening them in OpenOffice and seeing what the HTML/flash export is like.

It'd be nice if OpenOffice could take a ppt file and export it to HTML that works like the Thunderbird one, I'm not sure as I've never tried it

#9 Re: Ooh, the irony!

by mqwtm

Monday March 29th, 2004 8:47 AM

Well I'd love to read it, but can't - the next slide button doesn't work :/

#5 RDF & custom applications...

by alongton

Monday March 29th, 2004 3:48 AM

From what little I was able to understand from the slides on advanced RDF, it looks ideal for custom apps of all sorts (monitoring of topics for stock brokers and systems administrators are two that come to mind) -- not just extentions of the default browser.

Can someone give me a 'good for x, overkill/bad for y' type example so I understand the scope of what this is intended to be capable of?

#11 Re: RDF & custom applications...

by ajollyswami

Monday March 29th, 2004 1:43 PM

My experience is rather limited but as I underestand it RDF (Resource Description Framework) is just a XML-based data format that is used to describe different kinds of data. Ben mentions those applications as *implementations* of RDF. Basically RDF just offers an easy way to access many different information sources. Mozilla (Gecko, really) makes it really easy to build XUL 'templates' which get filled dynamically by an RDF data source (which can be either local or remote) as needed.

RDF is flexible in that it stores everything in simple subject/predicate/object triples. Using those triples you can describe lists, nested lists, databases, and really anything else.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-primer-20040210/>

#6 GRE; Pinstripe; SVG

by mpconnelly

Monday March 29th, 2004 4:35 AM

1.) I didn't see anything about the GRE in the Firefox and Thunderbird presentations. Is there still an intent to separate the GRE from Firefox and Thunderbird to eliminate redundant copies of the browser core on your hard drive and faciliate upgrade of the core independent of the user interface? If so, when?

2.) I believe that the Pinstripe icons for both Firefox and Thunderbird are stunning... (and, while respectful of the efforts put forth in designing the current icons, think that they look primitive). Can we have a debate/poll about substituting the Pinstripe icons as the default icons? (This is different than the frequent discussions about porting the Pinstripe themes to Windows.)

3.) I didn't see anything about SVG in either the browser or user interface. I look forward to chrome rendered in SVG.

4.) Where can I find more information about the software updater? I think that this will be a great feature because Mozilla's strength is its speed of development (particularly if the update is downloaded in the background while the browser is idling). Enthusiasts can install it on their friends and families computers and not have to worry about the browser/mail client being up-to-date.

#12 Qute looks better on Windows

by _rgw_ <webbs@fayette.net>

Monday March 29th, 2004 2:13 PM

The Qute icons look 'windows-ish'.

#13 Re: Qute looks better on Windows

by Waldo_2

Monday March 29th, 2004 9:55 PM

(assuming you're on Linux) And what, pray tell, is Linux-ish? Linux-ish can be any one of a million different ways; Mac and Windows have constant interfaces for which conforming designs can be made, but Linux doesn't. If the user changes the interface on either of these platforms, he will expect UI dissonance, but for Linux even the default theme may be completely wrong with whatever could be created.

That said, I think there's been some talk recently about a theme for GNOME (and possibly KDE as well - can't remember for sure).

#7 Forumzilla

by fedetxf

Monday March 29th, 2004 5:23 AM

Forumzilla is mentioned. It's a great application. I'm using it right now. I've been looking for a mozilla-integrated reader since ever and I hated the ones I had found until this one. Looks promising for a pre-alpha and I love the integration.