IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
Wednesday March 24th, 1999
MacGyver sent us in this interesting news.
He writes, "Here's something I thought fellow Mozillers would find interesting...Apparently, there are several easter eggs in IE5. One of them pulls up an 'About' box with the title 'Internet Explorer 5.0 rocks'. What's more interesting is the animation in the box. It shows a gozilla-like dinasour coming out of an easter egg only to be crushed by a giant Microsoft IE5 logo. Nice commentary from the good folk in Redmond, I should say. Despite the rivalry between the two major browsers, I can't ever recall a Netscape easter egg with such a blatant attack against Microsoft. To view the easter egg yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Open up IE5
2. From the menu, select Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages (button)
3. Press 'Add'
4. Type: "ie-ee" (without the quotes) and click 'OK'
5. Move "User Defined [ie-ee]" to the TOP of the list
6. Exit back to where you can browse in IE5 again
7. Click on the Search icon (to pull up the side search menu)
8. Click the 'Customize' button in the side search menu.
9. Watch the anti-Mozilla animation being distributed to millions of desktops."
#86 IE5-Microsoft Cocky As He*l
by Phoenix <email@example.com>
Tuesday April 13th, 1999 4:05 AM
You are replying to this message
"When you stop and think, consumers aren't complaining about our Internet products " I believe I am a consumer, AND I have a complaint, I do not think incorperating an easter egg with "gozilla" in being squished by the IE logo appropriate, especially since it still won't load half the pages on the internet "I guess someone thinks we did too well. " Being a little cocky are we?
The quotations are taken from Bill Gate's Letter at <http://www.microsoft.com/…oinnovate/inv_message.htm>