IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
Wednesday March 24th, 1999
MacGyver sent us in this interesting news.
He writes, "Here's something I thought fellow Mozillers would find interesting...Apparently, there are several easter eggs in IE5. One of them pulls up an 'About' box with the title 'Internet Explorer 5.0 rocks'. What's more interesting is the animation in the box. It shows a gozilla-like dinasour coming out of an easter egg only to be crushed by a giant Microsoft IE5 logo. Nice commentary from the good folk in Redmond, I should say. Despite the rivalry between the two major browsers, I can't ever recall a Netscape easter egg with such a blatant attack against Microsoft. To view the easter egg yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Open up IE5
2. From the menu, select Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages (button)
3. Press 'Add'
4. Type: "ie-ee" (without the quotes) and click 'OK'
5. Move "User Defined [ie-ee]" to the TOP of the list
6. Exit back to where you can browse in IE5 again
7. Click on the Search icon (to pull up the side search menu)
8. Click the 'Customize' button in the side search menu.
9. Watch the anti-Mozilla animation being distributed to millions of desktops."
#83 Re: ie5 easter egg?!
by MAD AS HELL
Monday April 12th, 1999 6:09 PM
You are replying to this message
Who gives about the damn EE in IE5. It just proves that the programmer was out to have some fun after a long day of coding, and I am sure of this because I have first hand experience (mysterious!, who really put the bug in anyway.)
They also wanted to get a whole bunch of losers and nobodies into a webpage and watch the mayhem (another first-hand experience!)
If you all really had lives you'd go out and start programming or whatever the hell you do because you're wasting your time in here. ANd all you anti-MS people, hmm. I wonder where your jobs would be without Windows? If you can figure out that this webpage and everything it is about is a complete waste of time, maybe you could actually figure out how to beat Microsoft and IE like you're always talking about.
GET A LIFE YOU LOSER FREAKS