IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
Wednesday March 24th, 1999
MacGyver sent us in this interesting news.
He writes, "Here's something I thought fellow Mozillers would find interesting...Apparently, there are several easter eggs in IE5. One of them pulls up an 'About' box with the title 'Internet Explorer 5.0 rocks'. What's more interesting is the animation in the box. It shows a gozilla-like dinasour coming out of an easter egg only to be crushed by a giant Microsoft IE5 logo. Nice commentary from the good folk in Redmond, I should say. Despite the rivalry between the two major browsers, I can't ever recall a Netscape easter egg with such a blatant attack against Microsoft. To view the easter egg yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Open up IE5
2. From the menu, select Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages (button)
3. Press 'Add'
4. Type: "ie-ee" (without the quotes) and click 'OK'
5. Move "User Defined [ie-ee]" to the TOP of the list
6. Exit back to where you can browse in IE5 again
7. Click on the Search icon (to pull up the side search menu)
8. Click the 'Customize' button in the side search menu.
9. Watch the anti-Mozilla animation being distributed to millions of desktops."
#81 You guys are kewl! Not...
Monday April 12th, 1999 11:12 AM
You are replying to this message
Idiots, all of you! Especially those who have posted the *same* message over and over and over. We heard you the first time.
As for IE5...who cares if it's got a lame assed Easter egg in it? Anybody whose got the time and the hard drive space to install the damn thing should be given a medal. This "thing" is 50 megs! What the hell for?
Though this isn't the best reason to boycott IE5. The *best* reason is their divergance and bastardization of W3C standards. They're trying to do it with Java and they're doing it here.
Don't let the WWW become MSN.