IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
Wednesday March 24th, 1999
MacGyver sent us in this interesting news.
He writes, "Here's something I thought fellow Mozillers would find interesting...Apparently, there are several easter eggs in IE5. One of them pulls up an 'About' box with the title 'Internet Explorer 5.0 rocks'. What's more interesting is the animation in the box. It shows a gozilla-like dinasour coming out of an easter egg only to be crushed by a giant Microsoft IE5 logo. Nice commentary from the good folk in Redmond, I should say. Despite the rivalry between the two major browsers, I can't ever recall a Netscape easter egg with such a blatant attack against Microsoft. To view the easter egg yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Open up IE5
2. From the menu, select Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages (button)
3. Press 'Add'
4. Type: "ie-ee" (without the quotes) and click 'OK'
5. Move "User Defined [ie-ee]" to the TOP of the list
6. Exit back to where you can browse in IE5 again
7. Click on the Search icon (to pull up the side search menu)
8. Click the 'Customize' button in the side search menu.
9. Watch the anti-Mozilla animation being distributed to millions of desktops."
#7 Oh Get Real!
by Jah-Wren Ryel
Wednesday March 24th, 1999 5:43 PM
You are replying to this message
So what if they put an easter egg making fun of Netscape?
Are we not bigger than that?
At least it shows that microserfs have a sense of humour, ignore the strategic managment and marketing guys at MS, the guys coding are there to make a living like most of us. If they show a little sense of competition and humour, let them enjoy themselves. One day they will wrest themselves free of the MS mindset and may even become our brothers in arms (or keyboards, as it were).
It is silly to think that this little easter egg means MS is really out to destroy the world.