IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
Wednesday March 24th, 1999
MacGyver sent us in this interesting news.
He writes, "Here's something I thought fellow Mozillers would find interesting...Apparently, there are several easter eggs in IE5. One of them pulls up an 'About' box with the title 'Internet Explorer 5.0 rocks'. What's more interesting is the animation in the box. It shows a gozilla-like dinasour coming out of an easter egg only to be crushed by a giant Microsoft IE5 logo. Nice commentary from the good folk in Redmond, I should say. Despite the rivalry between the two major browsers, I can't ever recall a Netscape easter egg with such a blatant attack against Microsoft. To view the easter egg yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Open up IE5
2. From the menu, select Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages (button)
3. Press 'Add'
4. Type: "ie-ee" (without the quotes) and click 'OK'
5. Move "User Defined [ie-ee]" to the TOP of the list
6. Exit back to where you can browse in IE5 again
7. Click on the Search icon (to pull up the side search menu)
8. Click the 'Customize' button in the side search menu.
9. Watch the anti-Mozilla animation being distributed to millions of desktops."
#68 Re:IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
by Gil Hildebrand, Jr. <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Friday April 9th, 1999 10:51 PM
You are replying to this message
Although I dislike the Microsoft Corporation for its not spending enough time error testing, I DO like IE much more over Netscape. IE 5 lets me do things I would never even dream of 2 years ago, and old netscape is left in the dust. I doubt Bill Gates had anything to do with it, and I'm sure it brightened up the programmers' day. So give it a rest Netscape users.