IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
Wednesday March 24th, 1999
MacGyver sent us in this interesting news.
He writes, "Here's something I thought fellow Mozillers would find interesting...Apparently, there are several easter eggs in IE5. One of them pulls up an 'About' box with the title 'Internet Explorer 5.0 rocks'. What's more interesting is the animation in the box. It shows a gozilla-like dinasour coming out of an easter egg only to be crushed by a giant Microsoft IE5 logo. Nice commentary from the good folk in Redmond, I should say. Despite the rivalry between the two major browsers, I can't ever recall a Netscape easter egg with such a blatant attack against Microsoft. To view the easter egg yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Open up IE5
2. From the menu, select Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages (button)
3. Press 'Add'
4. Type: "ie-ee" (without the quotes) and click 'OK'
5. Move "User Defined [ie-ee]" to the TOP of the list
6. Exit back to where you can browse in IE5 again
7. Click on the Search icon (to pull up the side search menu)
8. Click the 'Customize' button in the side search menu.
9. Watch the anti-Mozilla animation being distributed to millions of desktops."
#48 Re: IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
by diathesis <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Saturday March 27th, 1999 6:54 AM
You are replying to this message
Damn, people. Yes, easter eggs are annoying at times, but they're a fact of s/w development by now. Hell, there are websites with easter eggs. Anyway, it's amusing that IE5's is a mozilla-crusher, no big deal. And, ultimately, for the time being, IE4 has Nav4 beat in many ways. Here's hoping Moz5 is godlike, but ... for now, we'll just have to wait and see.