IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
Wednesday March 24th, 1999
MacGyver sent us in this interesting news.
He writes, "Here's something I thought fellow Mozillers would find interesting...Apparently, there are several easter eggs in IE5. One of them pulls up an 'About' box with the title 'Internet Explorer 5.0 rocks'. What's more interesting is the animation in the box. It shows a gozilla-like dinasour coming out of an easter egg only to be crushed by a giant Microsoft IE5 logo. Nice commentary from the good folk in Redmond, I should say. Despite the rivalry between the two major browsers, I can't ever recall a Netscape easter egg with such a blatant attack against Microsoft. To view the easter egg yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Open up IE5
2. From the menu, select Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages (button)
3. Press 'Add'
4. Type: "ie-ee" (without the quotes) and click 'OK'
5. Move "User Defined [ie-ee]" to the TOP of the list
6. Exit back to where you can browse in IE5 again
7. Click on the Search icon (to pull up the side search menu)
8. Click the 'Customize' button in the side search menu.
9. Watch the anti-Mozilla animation being distributed to millions of desktops."
#43 Re:IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
by Red Moon
Friday March 26th, 1999 5:48 AM
You are replying to this message
Only a joke? Ever seen MS laughing when they have serious competition? After they have crushed and destroyed the competition, yes,... BTW, if MS can have 'jokes' about Mozilla, then why shouldn't these guys have some fun with IE??? Shouldn't MS get a life then, instead of writing all those easter eggs about the competition? O, and, err, MS haters hate MS because they're arrogant, power hungry and they can't write decent software, not just because it's MS. Plus: they always have to mess with standards... which in it's own is enough to hate them.