IE5 Easter Egg Takes Jab at Mozilla
Wednesday March 24th, 1999
MacGyver sent us in this interesting news.
He writes, "Here's something I thought fellow Mozillers would find interesting...Apparently, there are several easter eggs in IE5. One of them pulls up an 'About' box with the title 'Internet Explorer 5.0 rocks'. What's more interesting is the animation in the box. It shows a gozilla-like dinasour coming out of an easter egg only to be crushed by a giant Microsoft IE5 logo. Nice commentary from the good folk in Redmond, I should say. Despite the rivalry between the two major browsers, I can't ever recall a Netscape easter egg with such a blatant attack against Microsoft. To view the easter egg yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Open up IE5
2. From the menu, select Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages (button)
3. Press 'Add'
4. Type: "ie-ee" (without the quotes) and click 'OK'
5. Move "User Defined [ie-ee]" to the TOP of the list
6. Exit back to where you can browse in IE5 again
7. Click on the Search icon (to pull up the side search menu)
8. Click the 'Customize' button in the side search menu.
9. Watch the anti-Mozilla animation being distributed to millions of desktops."
by FiRe HaWK <C_Justin@Hotmail.Com>
Saturday April 17th, 1999 11:56 PM
You are replying to this message
As you can see by the above entries, there are people on the internet as immature as they come who choose to post such childish messages, and make others look bad. It's enough to make anyone sick.
I personally think MS is horrid. Big T is right, the TRUE difference is the "marketing team" ... Microsoft WILL get what they deserve; give it time. Netscape much better.
On a lighter note, the easter egg in IE 5 is humourous, but it's just honest fun from the people down at Microsoft. If an easter egg is truly going to alter someone's choice in browsers, maybe they shouldn't be on the Internet, they'll end up like the people who entered the immature entries above.