New Sample UI Posted

Monday March 22nd, 1999

We at Mozillazine have been playing around with XUL/CSS, and have created our own UI. It is similar to the old configurable chrome in mozillaclassic. To try it, simply rename the navigator.xul file to navigator.xu~, which is in the res/samples/ directory of the m3/nightly builds, download the new navigator.xul (*shift-click!*) file and place it in the same directory. This will download all the chrome and other UI elements when you load apprunner. Note, this will not change any UI except for the browser window.

In the UI, we killed the second/personal toolbar, added our own menu, changed the colors and buttons, and added some functionality. You can now load a new window, Messenger, or Composer from the bottom toolbar/component bar.

#1 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 12:56 PM

Hmmm...My copy's not downloading the images for the toolbars. Still, looks promising.

#2 Odd

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 1:17 PM

Okay, the problem seems to be that my copy can't contact mozillaZine *at all*, not even for regular browsing, but can contact any other site. And Comm 4.51 *can* contact MZ. Truly strange.

#3 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by ERICmurphy <murphye@gmail.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 1:33 PM

Mine works great!

#4 Re: New Sample UI Posted

by HoserHead <hoserhead@woot.net>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 1:58 PM

That's mightily impressive. I do wish that the whole UI didn't scroll, but I suppose that's another bug to be worked out =).

#5 All better

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 2:13 PM

All fixed. Something went haywire in my mozregistry.dat file. The downloadable chrome is very cool.

#6 Re: A Question about appRunner

by jmissig <x-virge@shafe.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 2:28 PM

I'm running in 1152x864, and I can't resize appRunner vertically because all it does it increase the space below the bottom taskbar thing. Is this on your current list of bugs, or is it intentional?

#7 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Mark Raimondi

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 3:06 PM

Why'd you kill the personal toolbar? It's so handy to have all those heavily-used links so easily accessible.

#8 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 3:08 PM

I think that's pretty fab. I can hardly wait for M4. (Can anyone link me to an M sched? I can't seem to find it on Mozilla.org)

#9 Re: New Sample UI Posted

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 3:18 PM

maybe because the folders showed up as links, and didn't work. just an idea. I notice as I type this that it does not auto-wrap as it would in 4.51, but I'm sure that will be taken care of in due time. As well as this works I can only imagine how well M4 will turn out.

#10 Re: New Sample UI Posted

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 3:30 PM

Kovu:

I think M4 is scheduled for around April 6th, and I saw a more detailed schedule somewhere on mozilla.org, but can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

#11 Re: New Sample UI Posted

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 3:34 PM

Found what I was looking for:

<http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/milestones.html>

These are mail/news milestones, but I believe the dates apply to the whole shebang.

#12 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Mark Wilson

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 3:49 PM

That is the sexiest non-human thing I have seen since I downloaded skins for my WINAMP ("really whips the Llamas ass!") - I know you call it ZUL, but the public calls it "skins" and I suggest someone creates a store of skins, becoz baby, you aint seen NUTHIN yet!!

This is going to be soooo huge, it needs to be built right into Mozilla (winamp has over 1175 skins)!! I can't get over it!! SKINS that are as cool as that!!

One other thing though, Winamp competitors allow non-regular shapes and see through backgrounds. Can Mozilla do THAT? WOOF!

Check this out: <http://dailymp3.com/skins.html>

#13 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Jerry Baker

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 5:01 PM

All I get with the 3-23 Win32 build is "Reading file... DocLoaderFactory: Unable to create ContentViewer for content-type: text/xul"

#14 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Mark Wilson

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 5:37 PM

Check this out: <http://dailymp3.com/skins.html>

#15 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Caustic <jdub@student.usyd.edu.au>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 5:56 PM

Mark, I think you seriously need to calm down. Perhaps a valium is in order.

So, maybe user definable (paintable usually) interfaces are all the rage at the moment, and "oh wow" they're so cool et...

But hell, man! That's not even close to as cool as what Mozilla's got going for it! Skins may be fun and jolly, take up more teen-geek time than your average drive-by and give website opportunities to spotty kids with pirate music fetishes (only kidding)...

But it hardly warrants a doubly-submitted "quaking-in-my-slippers-oh-my-god-i-can't-believe-it's-not-windoze-grey" reaction, hey? Maybe you should leave that kind of fanfare for say, a release?!?

Mmm, M4...

#16 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Tom Kelleher <tkell@ultranet.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 6:01 PM

Add me to the list of people who think that 2 scroll bars on the right side of the UI is a bad idea. It is confusing, wastes screen space, and "fixes" what was never a problem.

#17 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by mozineAdmin

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 6:28 PM

Tom,

I believe that's actually a bug. IT doesn't work like that in the viewer. I believe they're still working out layout issues regarding toolbars and how the browser stretches to fill the available space, and how the framework reacts.

#18 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by arielb

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 6:33 PM

wow the skins do work! Now I can finally update my website! hold on a sec...

#19 Re: New Sample UI Posted

by Mike Barnes <mdbarnes@bellsouth.net>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 6:49 PM

This cool. However, I only get about 2/3rd of my screen for web pages (which is what I am realy interested in). Now, if I could hide the screen (or even remove it) I would ecstatic!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the work.

#20 Re: New Sample UI Posted

by arielb

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 7:15 PM

ok here's a screenshot of the skins in action <http://members.xoom.com/mozilla5/skins/mozskin.jpg> (note the directory...a long time ago I planned on doing a skins collection. Then of course mozilla decided to rewrite the code so the site was put on hold)

#21 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 7:30 PM

Thanks jawbone, you rock :)

#22 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 7:43 PM

M6 is scheduled for my birthday (fab present!) and Star Wars comes out the next day! I think I'll die from euphoria! The netcenter integration will be about time, ditto the multiple POP mail integration. Having to have FOUR different profiles does kind of suck. I wonder, do we plan integration with ICQ anytime soon?

#23 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 7:55 PM

Glad to be of service.

#24 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Gena01 <gena@maxho.com>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 8:01 PM

I got some screenshots posted on my WebPage which is located at: <http://gena01.lk.net/mozilla5/> It has the default, the one posted on this page, and a couple of minimalistic themes (just removed some stuff to clean up the toolbars to take less space) Btw. Those are Windows Screenshots include Thumbnails and downloadable XUL files..(More Coming? Anybody wants to submit their Themes?)

#25 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by theurl <adamhicks@wbc.edu>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 9:55 PM

Kovu, ICQ integration with Mozilla would be the best birthday present *I* ever received! :)

#26 Questions about XUL???

by _Dan

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 10:37 PM

1) Can XUL code be embeded directly into HTML so it loads automaticly for the user (with the appropriate warning box), or will they have to download and install the new crome???

2) If it can be imbeded is the new crome apply to all windows or can I apply it to just a single window???

3) Can the widgets be controlled through JavaScript??? (i.e. disabled, hidden, removed, etc...)

Thanks in advance.

#27 ICQ Integration (Jabber)

by Jeremie <jeremie@jabber.org>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 10:58 PM

If I can get off my ass here soon, I plan on either integrating or offering the integration of a Jabber client. Jabber( <http://jabber.org/> ) will allow you to use ICQ, AIM or any other instant messaging service simultaneously, plus lots of other cool features :)

#28 Re: New Sample UI Posted

by kerz <jason@mozillazine.org>

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 11:20 PM

UPDATE!!

I have uploaded a new version of Navigator.xul. Get it now! This version got rid of the 2nd footer toolbar, cleaned out a lot of crap on the first one, and added the component bar to it. Also took out the animated gif, as it caused slowness, due to a known bug. Items I am still working on include a new thobber (Still uses my old MozBin chrome one), a better looking status bar, and more functionality. I originally designed this off of the m3 release, but I am about to get tonights build, and check for new stuff to add in.

-Jason

#29 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by zontar

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 11:45 PM

I downloaded M3 on Saturday, it ran fine that day, but ever since then, I get a situation sort of like Jerry's: viewer and apprunner both crash on startup with the error "Unable to create ContentViewer for type text/xul" -- OTOH, the 0320 build has been doing so well that I've not bothered to check the server for a new one until now (gotta keep up with the Joneses and all that <g>).

The new UI "look" rocks, btw.

#30 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by zontar

Tuesday March 23rd, 1999 11:50 PM

Wow, I think I must have been the first one to get the updated naivator.xul. Sometimes it apaarently pays to stay up late. :-)

#31 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by arielb

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 1:18 AM

it's kinda funny-M3 is the first mozilla build I've tried in a long time and its slow and buggy. :( Yet I'm really psyched now that IE5 is behind us and these SKINS! Wow! Mozilla _has_ to succeed (heh just for fun...anyone want to do an IE lookalike?)

#32 Sample not well-formed?

by St. A. <dj_saint_a@my-dejanews.com>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 1:54 AM

My XML toys gack on all the embedded HTML (especially the JavaScript). Shouldn't these be in CDATA tags or something?

#33 Re:Sample not well-formed?

by St. A. <dj_saint_a@my-dejanews.com>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 2:00 AM

Okay, it's not that bad -- it only choked in three or four places.

One or two <html: /> tags had unquoted attribute values, and some of the scripts had <, >, or & in them.

I think XUL is really wicked, but I worry about what will happen if stuff like this is allowed to get through (i.e., lots of people will write not-really-XML XUL code, cf. some of Navigator's looseness with tag 'parsing').

#34 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by mozineAdmin

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 5:25 AM

St.A.,

I don't believe the XPat parser is in place yet, which checks for XML well-formedness.

#35 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Patrick <pdenny@ca.ibm.com>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 7:27 AM

Hey, I know it showed up here before, but could someone tell me if/how Mozilla can be used with a proxy server, or even better, an Autosocks setup site. (I'm behind a firewall) (e-mail me with the info if you wish)

#36 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Chris Knoll <knoll@eclipse.net>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 7:33 AM

Is there a way to get Proxy support in apprunner? I'm kinda behind a corporate firewall, and, although I haven't tried yet, I'm guessing that when I try to download the graphics for the new navigator.xul, it's gonna barf. Any suggestions?

-Chris

#37 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by ERICmurphy <murphye@gmail.com>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 8:18 AM

Maybe Mozilla should hold a contest to see who can make the best "skin"?

I think something like that would really help in bringing out good ideas to be used in the final Communicator 5.0 interface.

#38 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Patrick <pdenny@ca.ibm.com>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 8:24 AM

#39 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by lolo

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 8:35 AM

Maybe it's time to open a mozilla.themes.org site, just like there's one for GTK, Enlightenment, etc...

That way there will be a central point of exchange for Mozilla customization.

#40 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by mozineAdmin

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 9:31 AM

lolo,

Stay tuned. We have a "customization" repository planned.

#41 Re:New Sample UI Posted, M3

by vead <vead@uconect.net>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 11:50 AM

Have tried it. Pretty Cool. I got the unix version, put it on redhat 5.2... Here's a few rough spots I noticed on first look:

1. must set preferences.js by hand 2. the '.tar' file I downloaded was actually a '.tar.gz' file. Was not able to unpack until I renamed it 'm3.tar.gz'. then it worked.

3. Unable to follow generated links, but able to display the page generated by the following newsnow.co.uk query: ------------------ <http://www.newsnow.co.uk/…CHalloween%2CWalnut+Creek> ------------------------- 4. apprunner doesn't always make a scroll bar for pages larger than the browser-area window.

5. along the same lines, resizing the apprunner application doesn't always display browser-area contents...behaves more like a virtual window, or child sheets in a powerbuilder app that only exist within the space of the parent sheet. (i find this distasteful and frustrating, but some might consider it a 'feature'. ack.)

so much for first impressions.

Please post the M4...etc release schedule so I can keep pounding on 'em. This is great. The first time I have something I feel like I can test. Keep 'em coming, early and often.

And, Thanks Mozilla. --vead

#42 Re:M3

by vead <vead@uconect.net>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 12:01 PM

more peculiarities-

-radio buttons don't display

-forms don't work. fire-up M3 and try to use a form. uh, I noticed this on netcenter with the weird green button to log-in, but regular looking forms don't seem to work. You can enter data in scrolling fields and stuff, but M3 is unable to press a submit button! argh.

-right button menus would be nice (I know, they're coming...)especially to clone another browser window.

um. that's all I remember at the moment. more later.

#43 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Paul Nakada <pnakada@netgravity.com>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 1:23 PM

someone asked about resizing the html pane of the browser. just open up the navigator.xul file in your favorite editor and change the 440px reference to the height that you want to use. basically, the navigator.xul file is just an "html" like layout of the navigator ui. don't be afraid to play around with this file and see what kind of entities are used, but also see how easy it is to muck around with the layout.

#44 Proxy Support

by -=Yusuf=- <ssym@hippo.ru.ac.za>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 1:43 PM

I know this is *way* off-topic, but I list at least 2 people asking how to get proxy support in here, so I might as well post here to forestall more people....

1. Configure your proxy manually. 2. Transfer your prefs.js file from your Navigator/Communicator to your mozilla-build root directory. 3. Run apprunner! It should be using your proxy now.

#45 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by mozineAdmin

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 4:13 PM

I believe the HTML pane will expand to fill the available space, once issues regarding interaction between different rendering areas has been worked out.

#46 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by arielb

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 4:17 PM

I agree with lolo and eric. We need to have a themes database with contests

#47 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Mark Wilson

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 4:38 PM

THIS POST WAS NOT REPLIED TO AND I THINK IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT... THIS WOULD MAKE XUL A *MUST HAVE* ON BIG COMMERCIAL SITES SUCH AS DISNEY.COM OR NEWS.COM OR OTHERS... IF IT ISNT IN THE SPEC. PUT IT IN NOW!! (use the object tag?)

Questions about XUL??? submitted by _Dan Wednesday March 24th, 1999 12:37:19 AM I have written a couple of DHTML applications using both Netscape 4.x and IE4 and have had to fake UI elements such as menus, toolbars, statusbars, etc. using CSS and DIVs. However this XUL concept sounds like it could eliminate the need for that :o). But since I am just reading the XUL documentation for the first time and don't quite understand it completely I have some questions you guys might be able to answer.

Thanks in advance.

#48 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Seth D. Palmer <sdpalmer@digi-intelligentsia.com>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 4:44 PM

hey -- very cool. working on customizing the chrome now for a client and have a question -- I'm confused as to whether a site will be able to force/offer-the-option to obtain their custom chrome when the user arrives at the site?

also, a second question: is it possible to have the toolbar oriented vertically on the left or right side? so that the html display window is next to it instead of above/below it.

if anyone would be interested in collaborating on new chromes, let me know -- I'd love to participate.

#49 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Bradley Robinson <brobinson@mail.gcnet.net>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 4:55 PM

The UI is kinda like a bunch of frames, one for each toolbar and one for the main view, which has a scrollbar so you can scroll the page. One bar, the one farthest to the right scrolls the UI, the second scrolls the content. The first one will most likely be removed by the time they're done.

#50 A cool skin idea...

by Waldo

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 5:52 PM

ok so it's called "SLIM" and the idea is that the buttons (back forward, throbber, etc.) are TINY and compact like 4x4 pixels so that you can get maximum screen usage.

That's it. I'm a genius, huh?

Go to it :)

W

#51 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by SomeSmartAss <improv@magma.ca>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 6:10 PM

As for my opinion on page specific "skin" replacment (and I know how much my opinion realy counts), it should be a link off the main page [Hey, download our Netscape Skin here!!] instead of a warning dialog popping out of no where telling you its about to be downloaded unless you say "NO". this would mean two things; a) it would be less obtrusive (I HATE that dialog that pops up asking if I want to download custom cursors all the time) b) it would also make these sites have a "Choose Netscape/Mozilla" button right around the Skin link (Free press is good press).

As for the actual downloadability, it should be built in to the end design with a section in the Preferences Dialog, allowing you to change to one of the installed "skins" (a la the highly over-rated NeoPlanet) and a seemless install front end. (I don't see my Grandpa renaming and replacing files and other such fiddling around)

Ideally, Netscape should put out a Skin design utility, or an extention of the composer app, that would allow WYSIWYG design without the need for people to learn XUL. This would create a proliferation of Skins, and minimize bad code. (course, the real code jockeys would be up to their arses in it, to make it do weird and wonderful new "features")

#52 xul?

by SuperSamat <supersamat@aol.com>

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 6:27 PM

Just wondering, why are these files now ending in *.xul on Win32? Though it's still RDF isn't it supposed to be named *.rdf?

Bah I need to read mozilla.org's status pages more they keep changing everything on me.

#53 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Tekhir

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 6:52 PM

SuperSmart, XUL is basically XML. The main difference is XUL has specific tags that are used by Mozilla.

I believe it hooks into RDF, but i don't really know.

#54 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by WozupInDaHood

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 9:52 PM

I understand the idea of having a "download out skin here" option, but let websites design their skin directly into the page - Disney.com wont use something if it adds complexity to their site, but they will use something if the user doesn't get hassled into making decisions.

They don't have a button asking if you want borders, frames or adverts, do they?

Just give it to them so they can make their own choices. Don't kake choices FOR your target market. Just give it to them to decide.

#55 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by arielb

Wednesday March 24th, 1999 10:44 PM

how do you underline and stuff?

#56 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday March 25th, 1999 3:09 AM

do we plan to let others have cool nifty icons on the personal toolbar in 5.0? Like Instant Messenger's? I would think ICQ at least will eventually have one. Also, I just wanted to say that no matter the outcome of the final 5.0 "skin", I truly hope we plan to keep the wheel and perhaps do a bit more with the nifty N animation in the upper right. I personally wish I could make it larger.

#57 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by SomeSmartAss <improv@magma.ca>

Thursday March 25th, 1999 8:01 AM

Dear Wozup.

Allowing a site to automatically change the skin would be very confusing, and scare the crap out of most newbie users (you know, the ones that would still be using MSIE 2.0 if their kids didn't come over and install the latest browser for them). I know there are users on my site who won't post messages on my guestbook, because they keep getting a big "scary" security warning message when they hit the submit button.(yes, I'm serious) There are probably people who don't use Smart Update for the same reason (doubly so, since that dialog says its doing a "High Risk" procedure)

The skin is the user's interface with the browser. to just flip it on and off, and have it change for no reason other than a site's designers think it would be cute is a big mistake. I would stop using a browser that did it for that reason alone. And to put yet another security option in the preferances to turn off "auto skin shedding" won't help, (i.e the page users I mentioned above didn't even know they could set user preferences)

the user interface is something that an individual should get used to, and be able to trust. If they want to switch it around, and modify it themselves, or pull down a themed skin, so they can surf with a Mulan throbber, great, but I certainly don't want my personilized toolbars that I spent days tweeking and laying out to my exact "power-user" needs to be whiped clean because I visit starwars.com; and besides, I realy don't want to have to suddenly figure out if the Wookie head means "Back" or "Reload"

There's a reason browsers allow people to turn off cookies, and its not because cookies are evil, its because people who are unsure of the concept think the idea of a page saving info on their local drive just *sounds* evil. (caches aside) A site that actually completely re-aranges their front end interface would be WAY out of the question.

Anyways, I think Disney would be more inclined to have users download skins. They give sounds, icons, cursors, and macromedia games to download when they create a movie-based site, why would a Netscape skin be any different.

Lets put this in perspective here, the Gecko engine is the main thrust of this browser; its the life support system. .xul is just a nifty add-on feature; the machine that goes "BOING". It'll probably be a big part of why people will want to use the browser (end-users don't realy care about complience as much as designers do, but EVERYBODY loves the machine that goes "BOING"). Lets not get over-enthusiastic and shove a 120-decible "BOING" down everyones throat (mixed metaphores, I know); let them turn it on when they want to.

ok. all done ranting.... buh-bye

#58 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Paul Nakada <pnakada@netgravity.com>

Thursday March 25th, 1999 9:46 AM

something to consider when talking about "chrome" is that navigator.xul is more than just your typical chrome. There is a ton of stuff that defines behavior in there. One could imagine someone defining a "trojan horse" ui which looks like a normal navigator, but hooks into history etc and compromises the user's privacy, etc. all of that javascript code in the definition is very powerful, but also something that must be very closely inspected.

This type of issue leads me to think that setting a new "look and feel" to navigator is akin to accepting a privileged applet and might even require some sort of digital signature.

#59 Starting to sound like a bad idea...

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Thursday March 25th, 1999 11:43 AM

Perhaps the skin thing is indeed best left to non-nubians who can feel free to d/l and use them, like skins for Winamp and Soritong. Though a wookie head sounds pretty cool. :)

#60 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by SomeSmartAss <improv@magma.ca>

Thursday March 25th, 1999 2:27 PM

Doesn't smart Update currently use signed .jars to do the update? That would be an acceptable way of doing things.... especially if there will be a clearing house repository for skins. (thats what the mozineAdmin hinted at)

there might be a "Skin authentication service" as an off-shoot of mozilla.org (voluteer run of course) to ensure that *approved* skins don't start doing weird and (not so) wonderful things to your system.

#61 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by WhooDunnit?

Thursday March 25th, 1999 3:08 PM

I like it! It sounds great - I hve changed my mind, you are correct that the changing UI should not confuse users - it should be a choice to have the new Disney skin. Having said that, some Javascript could automate it all for them if they select a YES button.

Get your marketing boys and girls to call Disney and others to get some rapid deployment going!

I didn't imagine the skin would stay up AFTER visiting the site, it would only appear while surfing the current site, thereafter the previous skin would reappear.

Lets not get to hung up on authentication, can't we just follow the WINAMP (which really whips the Lamas ass!) model?

BTW It was a machine that went PING! not BOING! (for future ref.)

#62 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Daniel Hill <danielhill@mindless.com>

Thursday March 25th, 1999 7:19 PM

But Disney are microshite people, aren't they? They would ignore mozilla, so as not to pick on Billy G.

As for the possibility of a trojan horse in a 'skin', yeah, that is very dangerous. But, if you use digital signatures, that means me, who lives in Australia, cannot make 'skins', because no CA will give developer certs to Australians. And little Johnny Howard wont set up a national CA.

So, I think a central repository of skins would be the best idea, checked by people. NSCP could integrate it into Netcenter, and have a menu option - Download new Skins.

#63 Re:New Sample UI Posted

by Paul Nakada <pnakada@netgravity.com>

Friday March 26th, 1999 10:17 PM

another option might be to separate "skins" from "chrome" where skins are exclusivly graphical in nature and "chrome" is more structure and behavior related.