Mail in Apprunner!

Saturday March 20th, 1999

Jason has put up our first screenshot of the new Messenger in Apprunner. The screenshot shows Messenger reading a Communicator mail directory. Check out other screenshots on our screenshots page.

Other mail functioning is soon to come, so stay tuned.

#1 Re:Mail in Apprunner!

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Saturday March 20th, 1999 7:38 PM

It looks promising, very promising.

#2 Re:

by Eduardo Silva

Saturday March 20th, 1999 7:50 PM

Isnīt this design a little dated? I mean the 3 pane window.

#3 Re:dated?

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Saturday March 20th, 1999 10:11 PM

What's considered modern?

#4 Re:Mail in Apprunner!

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Saturday March 20th, 1999 10:31 PM

I think the point is to get the thing working first, then design it

#5 Re:Mail in Apprunner!

by jawbone <jlp@ematic.com>

Saturday March 20th, 1999 10:39 PM

How is the 3 pane dated? It's what every major mail client uses. Do you have a better suggestion?

#6 Re: Mail Client

by Damian Hickey

Sunday March 21st, 1999 5:37 AM

Off-topic. Small observation: it seems Jason has already installed IE5.

#7 Re: Mail Paning Mail in Apprunner!

by sine

Sunday March 21st, 1999 7:44 AM

Yes, I do have a better system than the three-pane one: use windows! I want a main window listing all my accounts; I should hit an expansion triangle for an account and see all the pending emails in that account unfold. Double click a message, a new window pops open displaying it.

I use Outlook Express (yeech!) primarily because I can turn off the pane functions and make it operate as above. As soon as I get something unixlike on my Mac, I'll be switching to mutt.

#8 Re:Mail in Apprunner!

by steve morrison

Sunday March 21st, 1999 8:53 AM

The Mail in Communicator 4.5 allows you to switch between 2 and 3 pane, as well as open messages in new windows. Since the whole UI is done in xml, it is really easy to plug in new look'n'feels. If you have better ideas, you should mock them up and post to <news://news.mozilla.org/n….public.mozilla.mail-news>

#9 Re:Mail in Apprunner!

by Foo

Sunday March 21st, 1999 7:46 PM

Doing multiple windows is stupid. I have enough xterms to worry about without having to deal with a mail client that gratuitously opens windows. If you like windows so much use Mulberry. Pretty good product if not for the multiple windows.

#10 Re:Mail in Apprunner!

by kerz <jason@mozillazine.org>

Sunday March 21st, 1999 8:35 PM

Damian: Well yes, after trying to get it for three days. I need it so i can compare it to Gecko for standards stuff. Believe me, it sucks the big one.

#11 Re:Mail in Apprunner!

by Luis Ferro <luis.ferro@ip.pt>

Friday April 2nd, 1999 1:17 PM

Shouldn't the date be handled as a 4 digits year? To ensure Y2K compatibility?