Mozilla 1.6 Released

Friday January 16th, 2004

The Mozilla Foundation released Mozilla 1.6 yesterday, the first new milestone of the year. This latest version features several Mail & Newsgroups improvements, including vCard support, a preference to remove mail from a POP server after x days, a setting that places the user's signature above the quoted text when replying to a message and optional separate Recipient and Sender columns in the thread pane. In addition, NTLM authentication is now supported on all platforms, the automatic page translation function has been restored and several stability and security bugs have been fixed. The Gecko rendering engine has received a lot of attention in this release cycle, leading to improvements in standards compliance and faster page load times than ever before.

Mozilla 1.6 builds are available for a variety of platforms from the mozilla.org Releases page and the mozilla1.6 directory on ftp.mozilla.org. More information is available in the Mozilla 1.6 Release Notes.

#1 Translate page: how to set language?

by johann_p

Thursday January 15th, 2004 4:32 PM

Where does one configure which language the page should be translated to? Even if I use an english Mozilla I would still like to translate pages to different languages at times ...

#6 Picture

by coch

Saturday January 17th, 2004 9:24 AM

Once the page has been translated, you should see a "Back to language tools" link in the top right corner. Click it, and you will be able to configure the language.

#8 Re: Translate page: how to set language?

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Saturday January 17th, 2004 4:05 PM

Go to about:config and find the pref browser.translation.service. Modify it and change the value from "<http://translate.google.c…ev=/language_tools&u=>" to "<http://translate.google.c…ev=/language_tools&u=>", where de is the target language code (it's got to be one Google supports - see <http://www.google.com/language_tools> for a list).

Alex

#9 Re: Re: Translate page: how to set language?

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Saturday January 17th, 2004 4:06 PM

OK, so that got a bit messed up by the URL linkification stuff but I'm sure you get the idea.

Alex

#2 CNN Quick Vote - Broken Again

by xerxes

Friday January 16th, 2004 7:28 PM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113

I did a clean install of 1.6 including deleting my profile but when I try to do a quick vote on CNN it comes up a page not found. I've been having this problem on and off since 1.1. Usually deleting everything including the profile corrects the problem but not this time. Quite frankly, I'm getting sick of this problem popping up every freaking release. I'm through with any more seamonkey builds. I've never had any problems with Firebird so I'll stick with it from now on. As far as I'm concerned the application suite can go and rot because I will never waste my time downloading it again.

#3 Reply

by Racer

Friday January 16th, 2004 10:05 PM

Is there a bug filed about this problem? If so, what is it? Is the problem persistent on the same page or is it intermittent? Have you had someone else test it? I've never had probem and unlesss you filed a bug on it, there is a chance it won't get fixed because perhaps nobody else knows about it.

#5 Re: Reply

by xerxes

Saturday January 17th, 2004 9:02 AM

Looks like it's related to this bug <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=183208> but I don't care? Like I said, I'm through with the suite.

#11 Re: Re: Reply

by mlefevre

Sunday January 18th, 2004 8:30 AM

Not sure what the issue is, but obviously it's not happening consistently. The poll works fine for me with 1.6. Maybe it's a cookie issue of some kind? Unless someone can work out what causes it to stop working in a particular profile, the chances of it getting fixed permanently (if it is indeed broken) are pretty much zero.

#4 wonderfull now how about...

by ph1nn <ph1nn@earthlink.net>

Friday January 16th, 2004 11:33 PM

Firebird and Thunderbird!

#7 RedHat 9 and Fedora 1 RPMs available

by fedetxf

Saturday January 17th, 2004 10:13 AM

#10 Useful new feature

by JuanGonzalez

Sunday January 18th, 2004 3:13 AM

One of the interesting new features of Mozilla 1.6 is that we don't get the constant "new mail" warnings of previous versions when hundreds of spam messages are coming. The warning pop-ups refer only to non-junk mail now (according to the sorting by the Bayesian filter), and we save some time. :)

#12 1.6 builds for older RedHat and SuSE

by rijo

Monday January 19th, 2004 11:52 AM

Builds for the following older distributions is available from <http://mozilla.homelinux.org/>

* Red Hat Linux 6.2 * Red Hat Linux 7.1 * Red Hat Linux 7.2 * Red Hat Linux 7.3

* SuSE Linux 7.3 * SuSE Linux 8.0

#13 Stable or unstable?

by hobbes78

Tuesday January 20th, 2004 8:51 AM

I've downloaded and installed Mozilla 1.6 and if I go to <http://www.mozilla.org/start/> I read “You've downloaded (or compiled) a copy of Mozilla. This means that you've volunteered to become part of the Mozilla testing community. (If that doesn't sound like something you meant to do, you might be better off with one of our stable releases.)”

So I ask: Did I choose the wrong version (an unstable one) or is this happening to everybody, thus showing clearly a bug in the Mozilla web site?