Full Article Attached MozillaZine Review of the Year 2003

Wednesday December 31st, 2003

2003 has been perhaps the most tumultuous year yet for the Mozilla project. Major updates were made to the Roadmap, project names changed, Netscape died and mozilla.org transformed into the Mozilla Foundation. In our second annual review of the year, MozillaZine takes a look back at the events that have shaped the last twelve months.

#1 Firebird naming

by mlefevre

Wednesday December 31st, 2003 7:38 PM

wow... there were a lot of articles about the Firebird name argument, weren't there? This quote: "mozilla.org published a branding strategy, which stated that the standalone browser and mail projects should be referred to as Mozilla Firebird and Mozilla Thunderbird respectively" is a very selective reading.

The document says: 'When referring to Thunderbird or Firebird before or during the 1.4 release cycle, make sure to use the project name with Mozilla pre-pended as "Mozilla Thunderbird" or "Mozilla Firebird" instead of Mozilla alone or Firebird/Thunderbird alone. ... Use the names "Mozilla Browser" and "Mozilla Mail" to describe the Firebird and Thunderbird projects after the 1.4 release. ... Project names are transitory.'

Just thought I'd note that for the record.

Aside from that, a lot of good stuff has happened. Happy 2004 everyone :)

#3 Re: Firebird naming

by vfwlkr

Wednesday December 31st, 2003 10:04 PM

-1 flamebait

;-)

#5 Re: Firebird naming

by jgraham

Thursday January 1st, 2004 5:03 AM

The thing is, the trafic on the marketing-public mailing list rather suggests that the names will change once FB reaches 1.0, so I think the branding document is still "right", it's just the timeframe that's wrong (where have we heard that before). As far as I can tell, the Foundation contacted the Firebird db people after all the fuss died down to see if they could reach some agreement with the names. It seems that wasn't possible, so instead the renaming will go on as planned. Bart was asking for name suggestions on the list (quite a while ago, I don't think any more are needed at this stage), and Mozilla Browser was by far the most popular idea.

I could be wrong of course.

#7 The Fool's Flame

by fantasai

Thursday January 1st, 2004 11:45 PM

> Mozilla Browser was by far the most popular idea.

Because it's the most obvious idea.

Firebird was the most obvious idea, too.

#2 Happy new year

by vfwlkr

Wednesday December 31st, 2003 10:03 PM

Its been a wonderful year for mozilla. Looking forward to 2004

#4 Happy new year

by buff

Wednesday December 31st, 2003 11:04 PM

It has been a great year for Mozilla. I am very happy that I can use Firebird on Linux without dragging out the whole Mozilla suite so I can use Evolution as my main email app. I have heard all the complaints over the last year or two about rendering problems with non-standard pages but I honestly haven't had any problems. I only had one problem with a bank that used DHTML that was IE specific but that was only one site out of maybe 30 that didn't work.

I resolve to ignore all forum and newsgroup threads this year related to comparisons between IE and Mozilla; feature competitions between the two browsers; and comments repeating the old boring mantra that Mozilla is a doomed browser in the face of Explorer's market dominance. May Linux, Mozilla, and Open Source flourish in the desktop computing space this year. I also resolve to watch less T.V. and make it to the gym more to lose my CRT gut. I also promise to pay Mandrake for my copy of their fine OS once I get a job again that elevates me out of living from check to check.

#6 Fix the bugs first, please

by frisket

Thursday January 1st, 2004 5:32 PM

I've used Mozilla since the earliest, and I recommend it to all my co-workers, students, clients, and friends. It's a great platform to browse the Web, do mail, read news, etc etc and blah di blah.

But there are bugs in it which date from early Mosaic days, and which have been perpetuated through generation after generation of sloppy code, finding their way into all derivatives including MSIE. Yet no-one -- absolutely no-one -- seems prepared to fix them. The most notorious is the infamous line-breaking between a parenthesis and an immediately contiguous start-tag or end-tag (test it: put your email address in a TT element and enclose it all in parens, then widen or narrow your window until the parenthetic address falls at the end of a like, and watch that sucker break).

Please, please, can we have some attention to detail instead of ever more feature bloat? I want to be proud of Mozilla, not embarrassed by it.

#8 What bug?

by Mark_Watkins <markwatkins@eircom.net>

Friday January 2nd, 2004 2:38 AM

I can't reproduct this in a mid-December build of Mozilla Firebird 0.7+ on Windows, nor could I find a bug for this in Bugzilla. Are you sure you're not just wrong? Besides, if you're complaining about a lack of attention to detail from Mozilla developers and contributors I suggest you are again, just wrong.

The MozillaZine article discussions aren't the place to witter on about bugs anyway - that's what Bugzilla's voting mechanism is there for, and other tools the developers use such as counting duplicates and CCs for a bug.

#9 Re: Fix the bugs first, please

by eiseli

Friday January 2nd, 2004 2:42 AM

Did you upgrade your M4 build to Mozilla 1.5 or even better 1.6b, or best of all, the latest nightly? I haven't been able to reproduce this "infamous" and "notorious" bug, of which I heard the first time btw.

Or put in another way: do you have January 1st fool in your country?

#10 Re: Fix the bugs first, please

by jesse <jruderman@hmc.edu>

Friday January 2nd, 2004 4:07 AM

WFM in Firebird and IE. The code you described never wraps.

#11 Thought

by NXprime

Saturday January 3rd, 2004 12:51 AM

Would be nice to have shipable versions of Thunderbird and Firebird under thier 'official' names by the end of this year. :) Plus some real developement on Composer standalone client to boot.

#12 Re: Thought

by buff

Saturday January 3rd, 2004 4:31 AM

Official name. Who cares? Thunderbird and Firebird are currently both at a very useable state. Doesn't that matter more? I don't know about shipable but they are completely downloadable now as nightly builds or latest technology previews. ;-)