Introduction to Mozilla Manual Available in Draft Form

Wednesday November 19th, 2003

Kevin Quiggle writes: "A new Introduction to Mozilla — A Manual for First Time Users is now available in draft form. This document provides an introduction to the most useful features and capabilities of Mozilla (1.5) for people who have never used it before. The author is currently seeking review and comment with a goal of completing the document by year-end."

#1 Excellent Docs!

by Asacarny

Wednesday November 19th, 2003 11:54 PM

I just looked through the entire PDF. This is a really well done piece of documentation, and it seems to be just at the right level for the average businessperson. It would certainly serve as a great tool for convincing a boss to switch his employees (or himself) to using Mozilla. One problem: one of the screenshots (I think for the Mail client) is in the Modern theme, unlike the rest, which are in Classic. Also, if you added even more explanations, the documentation could be even more helpful for newbies. However I must say that you have fulfilled your objectives (as stated in your posting) with flying colors. This is a great outline of the features that are making me use Mozilla. Thanks! Adam

#3 Re: Excellent Docs!

by dave532

Thursday November 20th, 2003 2:59 AM

> It would certainly serve as a great tool for convincing a boss to switch his employees (or himself) to using Mozilla

I think the main problem corporate deployments might face on Windows networks is that caches are stored in the main profile which can roam, rather than a local profile. <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74085>

This causes a lot of wasted disk space on the network and slow login/logout times while files are copied across.

Now I feel like Peter Lario for mentioning bugs that don't really have anything to do with the main article :)

#4 Need better doc on pref.js and autoconfig

by danielwang <stolenclover@yahoo.com.tw>

Thursday November 20th, 2003 5:00 AM

> I think the main problem corporate deployments might face on > Windows networks is that caches are stored in the main profile > which can roam, rather than a local profile.

You know, you can change cache location. The problem is that few people how they can use all.js and autoconfig: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=158384>

#6 Re: Need better doc on pref.js and autoconfig

by dave532

Thursday November 20th, 2003 5:36 AM

I know the location can be changed, but it's one step to making a corporate deployment harder.

#19 Re: Excellent Docs!

by kquiggle <kquiggle@earthlink.net>

Thursday November 20th, 2003 4:55 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll check on the screenshot you mentioned.

#2 Where can I download the sxw file from?

by eiseli

Thursday November 20th, 2003 1:12 AM

I'm teaching web classes in a school and I insisted that we use Mozilla. Now some of my students are particularly hard to convince and they always complain about things that don't work the same way as IE (filing the bookmarks is one of them). So I wanted to give them the docs, or especially the most relevant parts. I would have to translate these to German, that's why I would need that original file.

#8 Re: Where can I download the sxw file from?

by met

Thursday November 20th, 2003 7:51 AM

When we are speaking about translation, anyone has an ideawhen will be final version avaiable? Or otherwise, The current chapters are in a final stage (ready for translation) or somebody is still workink on them?

#9 Re: Where can I download the sxw file from?

by WillyWonka

Thursday November 20th, 2003 8:29 AM

Wow they should really get used to change. My BMW's window wiper stick goes up where as my Toyota's goes down. Whatever will I do?

#15 Forcing Mozilla

by schapel

Thursday November 20th, 2003 12:31 PM

The whole goal of mozilla.org is to encourage web standards. The goal of web standards is to allow each user to use whichever browser they want. Forcing people to use Mozilla is contrary to these goals.

If you were teaching a driving class, would you force everyone to drive a Honda? If you were teaching a drawing class, would you force everyone to use Pentel pencils? If you were teaching a writing class, would you force everyone to use Microsoft Word?

#16 Re: Forcing Mozilla

by eiseli

Thursday November 20th, 2003 2:04 PM

If only every browser supported the standards as well as Mozilla... Then we could do that. This class is about XHTML and CSS2 and IE cannot compete with Mozilla on this level. So if half of the class would be using IE and the other one Mozilla, we would always have to deal with "oh, and here we have to make an exception to what you learnt yesterday, since IE is broken here..." Not imaginable, especially with young students who need to have some clear rules.

And then, give me another browser than Mozilla which has a DOM-Inspector (in order to check the computed style, the style rules and where they come from etc...). Not to mention the editor which I use in the first lesson in order to familiarize beginners with HTML.

#17 Re: Forcing Mozilla

by jgraham

Thursday November 20th, 2003 3:00 PM

> If you were teaching a writing class, would you force everyone to use Microsoft Word?

f you would, there's probably a job as a school head teacher wating for you somewhere.

#18 Re: Re: Forcing Mozilla

by jgraham

Thursday November 20th, 2003 3:06 PM

And as a slightly more useful point; you might not require everyone to have a pentel pencil for drawing class, but we were certianly required to have a 2B grade pencil for art class; in fact I seem to recall not having one being a detainable offence. So it's a case of using the right tool for the job. If you're trying to teach web standards, Mozilla is a much better place to start than IE since it actually conforms to a useful subset of those standards. Try explaining the CSS box model if a third of your class is using Mozilla, a third IE 5 and a third IE 6.

#20 SXW file

by kquiggle <kquiggle@earthlink.net>

Thursday November 20th, 2003 5:01 PM

I'll make the sxw file available shortly. If you are going to do translations, it would be good to get copies back so I can make the work more generally available.

#22 Re: SXW file

by eiseli

Thursday November 20th, 2003 11:35 PM

Obviously :)

#5 Modern Skin

by ezh <ezh@menelon.ee>

Thursday November 20th, 2003 5:21 AM

I would prefer that there is Modern skin used for screenshots.

#7 Re: Modern Skin

by Waldo_2

Thursday November 20th, 2003 7:33 AM

I second that...the Classic skin doesn't fit any of the current design trends for any platform (WinXP,KDE,Gnome,OSX,dunno of any others offhand).

#10 Re: Re: Modern Skin

by WillyWonka

Thursday November 20th, 2003 8:31 AM

Looks fine in win2k to me.

#11 Re: Re: Modern Skin

by jgraham

Thursday November 20th, 2003 10:23 AM

> I second that...the Classic skin doesn't fit any of the current design trends for any platform

And modern does? At least classic is the default skin, so the screenshots resemble what a new user would see.

#12 Re: Re: Re: Modern Skin

by Waldo_2

Thursday November 20th, 2003 11:39 AM

Modern has a skin with these features that fit design "trends"... -anti-aliased images -and therefore, not so many hard lines (smaller images still have some, but that's unavoidable with pretty much any icons) -for some images a slightly off-center perspective that makes them appear more 3-D -hover states that usually consist of more color saturation, not just the addition of color

Essentially, Modern look fits in well with the newest OS look.

As to Classic being default (is it? I only use Firebird and I can't check on the computer I'm using now, but I thought Modern was default), I'd have to argue with that choice as well. I've actually never liked the old-style Netscape look, though - the purples and greens (? going off memory) that permeated the Classic interface were never something that looked even remotely good to me. (However, as I now use Firebird I don't have the interest to actually try to get any changes to any default theme, though.)

#14 Re: Re: Re: Re: Modern Skin

by jgraham

Thursday November 20th, 2003 11:58 AM

Modern looks like no other applicaton I have ever seen. It certianly doesn't look like a native application on any platform. Consequentually, I'm not sure how it follows design trends (unless we're talking media players here in which case it may well, for all the little that I know. But media players are hardly representative applications. Or WinXP Luna I suppose, but Modern is all greys whereas that's bright blue+green+red - and modern looks just as out of place as classic does. Most businesses probably use WinXP classic style anyway.). Classic may not be the most aesthetically pleasing skin in existance, but it is the default skin and it does look a bit like other applications and rather a lot like Netscape 4. If the point of the screenshots was purely visual appeal, I would certianly suggest going for a different skin (Pinstripe or Luna, or Bluecurve or something else pretty and native-looking). However the pont of the screenshots is to be informative and classic, for all its faults, is certianly more helpful to a new user than modern (given how dark Modern is, I'd also worry that the pages wouldn't photocopy well, but that's a side issue).

#21 Choice of theme (skin)

by kquiggle <kquiggle@earthlink.net>

Thursday November 20th, 2003 5:06 PM

I decided to go with the Classic theme because I wanted to replicate the "out the box" experience as much as possible - by that I mean the look that the neophyte user is most likely to see when he/she first uses Mozilla.

#13 Find as you type page

by aaronl

Thursday November 20th, 2003 11:44 AM

Nice work in general. Some feedback on the fayt info:

You don't have to type ' before text to find links, unless you've changed your prefs under Advance -> Keyboard navigation

Cmd+G works to find next on the Mac Ctrl+G or F3 work on Linux and Windows

#23 Source Code for the Manual

by kquiggle <kquiggle@earthlink.net>

Friday November 21st, 2003 7:02 PM

For those who are interested, I am posting the Star Office source files for the Mozilla Manual project ( <http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/index.html> )today, along with the new current draft (0.5).