Adblock 0.5 Development Build 1 Released

Sunday October 26th, 2003

Mel Reyes writes in with news that Adblock 0.5 Development Build 1 has been released: "This is an incredibly awesome upgrade, not only fixing a few bugs with Firebird integration, but also making it even easier to block any object on a page, including images, Flash, etc. with incredible regular expression matching."

#1 Right on!

by Tweebiscuit

Sunday October 26th, 2003 2:21 PM

I just want to ast a vote of support for this guy's work -- he's spot on. Visual identity and cohesiveness is key, and something that has been sorely lacking from the Mozilla Project in general. The lizard is terrific as an icon (in the sense of a visual touchstone, not in the techical sense) for the development end of things, but doesn't make for a good consumer icon, especially now that the other applications are moving towards different animals. Let's do this!

#2 Crap! Wrong thread

by Tweebiscuit

Sunday October 26th, 2003 2:23 PM

Please ignore my previous reply -- or, at the very least, just pretend that it's about the Mozilla branding strategy. (*sigh*)

#3 Wonderful

by mozineAdmin

Sunday October 26th, 2003 6:48 PM

The latest adblock is awesome! The flash blocking is just what I've been waiting for. And it works so well!

#4 Adblock... Simply Excellent!

by kamiller42

Monday October 27th, 2003 10:38 PM

I was using 0.3. Going from 0.3 to 0.5d1 was a little tricky installing, but well worth it. I think it deserves more than a 0.2 version adjustment. Kudos to the team!

#5 Needs whitelists

by ed_welch

Tuesday October 28th, 2003 12:44 AM

This is one of the most useful add-ons for Mozilla that I have seen. However it needs to block flash animations using whitelists, like Mozilla currently does for pop-ups, becuase most Flash animations are just irritating gimics, or adverts. It's only occasionally you come across a website that forces you to enter through the flash animation. If you try blocking Flash ads using blacklist you will need an infinate amount of filters.

#6 awesome!

by dipa

Wednesday October 29th, 2003 6:45 AM

I must note an extremely useful improvement over the previous versions: it seems to block image *downloads* instead of simply not displaying the images. Thus it saves bandwidth for us dial-up users. My only complain (wrt the ui) is the lack of "new" button when defining new filters. It would be quite confusing for novices to understand that one needs to press Enter.

Cudos to the people working on it!

#7 forgot to say..

by dipa

Wednesday October 29th, 2003 6:48 AM

Do I need any complex proxy-based ad blocker (like Proxomitron) anymore? No! Adblock covers most of my needs in a very easy way.

#8 Killer "App"

by Ascaris <ascaris1@att.net>

Wednesday October 29th, 2003 3:17 PM

If tabbed browsing and popup blocking was not the killer "app" (I know, I know) for Mozilla, then surely this is. Excellent! I had been using Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0 for this for some time, but having it integrated into the browser is a hundred times easier-- and it works better!

Mozilla is excellent as it is, but with extensions like Tab Browser Extensions and this, it truly shines.

Frank