NewsMonster 1.2.2 Released, PRO Version Now Free of Charge

Thursday October 23rd, 2003

Kevin Burton writes in with news that NewsMonster 1.2.2 has been released. While previous versions of the weblog aggregator were available in both free and PRO editions, NewsMonster 1.2.2 only comes as a PRO release, which is now free of charge. Kevin writes: "This was a long and hard decision but it seems to make sense considering that my major goal with this release was to build a distributed reputation system and very advanced RSS aggregator. Since most of these features were locked up in NewsMonster PRO this kind of defeated the whole purpose." The NewsMonster site has more information and download links.

#1 How do I get my preferences toolbar back?

by mzvva

Friday October 24th, 2003 1:19 AM

I installed NewsMonster 1.2.2 and my Prefrences toolbar vanished. That happened with earlier versions as well, but now in addition to F8 not showing it, selecting and unselecting from View doesn't help anymore.

r. vva

#2 how do i remove newsmonster from firebird?

by wimhuls

Friday October 24th, 2003 3:35 AM

I installed NewsMonster in Firebird, but it makes the browser extremely slow. So I wanted to uninstall, but now I cannot open "Newsmonster preferences..." nor "options...". Can anybody help?

#3 newsmonster ---> officail mozilla.org backing

by orrin

Friday October 24th, 2003 6:47 AM

when will newsmonster make it into the regular distro of mozilla (suite or the *birds)? yet another way to really show the world that internet innovoation has not gone away, and mozilla is on top of it.

#4 Re: newsmonster ---> officail mozilla.org backing

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Friday October 24th, 2003 10:36 AM

"when will newsmonster make it into the regular distro of mozilla (suite or the *birds)?"

Given that it's not licensed under the MPL, probably never.

Alex

#7 Re: Re: newsmonster ---> officail mozilla.org back

by orrin

Friday October 24th, 2003 8:51 PM

I didn't even think about the licenses, that would definatly hold it back. Wouldn't it be good if the official Mozilla distro had a aggregator like NewsMonster... yet another feature Microsoft would have to spend a year and a half catching up to.

#5 Re: newsmonster ---> officail mozilla.org backing

by burtonator

Friday October 24th, 2003 2:36 PM

... never say never... it might in fact still happen. I'm about to blog about this.

#6 Re: Re: newsmonster ---> officail mozilla.org bac

by alanjstr

Friday October 24th, 2003 4:42 PM

I'm still waiting for a static URL so I don't have to keep updating <http://extensionroom.mozdev.org>

#8 Crashy crashy

by WillyWonka

Friday October 24th, 2003 9:08 PM

I tried it out today. Crashed mozilla before it finished downloading the rss feeds :( Uninstalled. It seems like it belongs in Mail & News too. Not the browser.

#9 Needs to be Standalone

by solhell

Saturday October 25th, 2003 1:05 AM

There are many problems with this program's integration to Firebird. But, this can become a great standalone application and part of mozilla 2.0 suite after UI is made more user friendly and probably simpler. Being part of mozilla suite will give more publicity encouraging websites to provide content more easily in Newsmonster format (whatever that might be) and make Newsmonster one of the unique portals and unique feature for mozilla.