First Windows Nightly of Standalone Composer

Saturday October 18th, 2003

Daniel Glazman writes: "Just one quick word to say that the first Windows nightly of Standalone Composer is available. This nightly has customizable toolbars, an Orbit 3+1 theme and a calendar smart widget. The corresponding code is going to land in the tree very soon, thanks to Lindows.com, who have financed this work."

#1 AAAAAGGGGH!

by flacco

Saturday October 18th, 2003 9:58 PM

Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux!

#2 Re: AAAAAGGGGH!

by flacco

Saturday October 18th, 2003 10:00 PM

uh, let me revise that:

Linux Composer++ Linux Composer++ Linux Composer++ Linux Composer++ Linux Composer++ !

#14 To please the GNU crowd...

by duffbeer703

Sunday October 19th, 2003 9:01 PM

GNU/Linux Composer++ GNU/Linux Composer++ GNU/Linux Composer++ GNU/Linux Composer++

#4 FreeBSD

by sremick

Saturday October 18th, 2003 10:44 PM

I'll be anxiously awaiting this to be added to the FreeBSD ports tree. I don't use Mozilla for email and long ago switched to Firebird for browsing. But I do a fair amount of web-page creation.

#3 Great

by Moparx

Saturday October 18th, 2003 10:12 PM

good to see this is out now too :)

#5 "calendar smart widget"

by mitchell <mitchell@mozilla.org>

Saturday October 18th, 2003 11:32 PM

Does anyone know what this is?

#6 Re: "calendar smart widget"

by Moparx

Sunday October 19th, 2003 12:19 AM

composer is the html editor for mozilla. this is a stand alone version of it

#7 Re: "calendar smart widget"

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Sunday October 19th, 2003 2:00 AM

The calendar smart widget inserts some JavaScript code into the page that writes out a simple table-based month-view calendar with the current day highlighted in red. If JavaScript is not enabled, it shows an image - chrome://editor/content/images/calendarSW.gif - which is a calendar for June 23rd 2003 (this is also what you see while developing pages in Composer).

Alex

#8 BIY on Linux...

by glazou <daniel@glazman.org>

Sunday October 19th, 2003 6:30 AM

BIY stands for Built It Yourself, of course. I just checked in the code into mozilla/composer. Instructions in <http://lxr.mozilla.org/mo…urce/composer/readme.html>

/* enjoy */

#9 MSVC DLL Needed

by ISagalaev

Sunday October 19th, 2003 7:13 AM

When I Start It Windows Says: "A required .DLL file, MSVCP70.DLL, was not found." Is It Intentional? :-)

#10 Re: MSVC DLL Needed

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Sunday October 19th, 2003 7:28 AM

You need to have msvcp70.dll and msvcr70.dll in the folder into which you unzipped Composer. These files may already be on your system but will need copying to the Composer directory. If you don't have them, you can download them from dll-files.com (links on the standalone Composer download page). For reasons beyond me, Microsoft won't let you download the DLLs from their site, so you'll have to buy Visual Studio or something if you want them. I presume the DLLs are not distributed with Composer for licensing reasons.

Alex

#11 msvcp71.dll & msvcr71.dll

by jedbro

Sunday October 19th, 2003 12:46 PM

I just noticed that Mozilla and Firebird (and I assume TB) package both msvcp71.dll & msvcr71.dll. This creates an 830kb in the download. Why don't they use the versions included in the system/ like most other programs do? Why the need to package them?

#12 dfgfd

by willll <willll@juno.com>

Sunday October 19th, 2003 1:18 PM

You are using an optimized build? The normal builds shouldn't need them since they use VC++ 6. And those files are supposed to be distributed with the program and ARE NOT supposed to be put in the system directory. See <http://msdn.microsoft.com…run.2d.time_libraries.asp>

#22 C Runtime Libraries

by Malc

Tuesday October 21st, 2003 12:48 PM

These libraries won't be on most people's systems. They're needed because presumably the binary was built using MSVC.NET.

The same problems were experienced a few years back on older versions of Windows when developers started switching to MSVC6 from MSDev97. That was of the reasons why installers used to always force people to reboot - they were replacing the C Runtime DLLs (MSVCRT.DLL, etc) with the newer ones from MSVC6. There were some serious problems at first, and seems that MSFT learnt and have responded by encoding the version of the DLL into its name.

You will start seeing more and more programmes shipping with these DLLs... what's more, there won't be one copy in system32, but a copy in every application directory. I would guess that future versions of Windows will ship with these DLLs and the problem will go away.

I don't know why the Composer++ people rushed in to using VS.NET... we're still building stuff under MSVC5 so that we can avoiding forcing a reboot upon installation under Win98! Fortunately we write our code well and it will compile under MSVC6 and VS.NET too.

#13 Composer or Composer++?

by fishbert

Sunday October 19th, 2003 5:23 PM

In terms of functionality and stability, would moving to Composer++ instead of the Composer that's part of the browser suite be a step backward, forward, or sideways?

#20 Re: Composer or Composer++?

by fishbert

Monday October 20th, 2003 9:08 PM

nobody knows?

#15 Daniel, where did your site go!?

by lacostej <coffeebreaks@hotmail.com>

Monday October 20th, 2003 2:01 AM

I enjoyed reading there pointers to things other than mozilla related stuff, such as recommended readings and so on.

Jerome

#17 Re: Daniel, where did your site go!?

by corwin

Monday October 20th, 2003 7:28 AM

Daniel's site is back, there was a hardware problem with the host, thousands of sites were unavailable last week-end until the server was replaced.

#16 First Windows Nightly of Standalone Composer

by gagliaudo <baden@tin.it>

Monday October 20th, 2003 4:48 AM

Dear Friends, it is a normal behaviour that I cannot edit preferences of the standalone composer ??? Thanks a lot for an answer !!!

#18 Why can't it build a proper Definition List?

by neilparks1

Monday October 20th, 2003 8:47 AM

Every time I try to build a DL, every item becomes a DD. A proper DL contains alternating rows of DD and DT.

#19 It's Not Working

by Roo

Monday October 20th, 2003 6:54 PM

I downloaded the nightly build - Oct.17th.

It's not working for my on Win 98SE.

When I try to edit prefrences I can click and get the normal expanded menus but nothing happens on the right....i.e. I get no screens to edit.

Ditto trying to use the program....I can't edit anything!!!

#21 001

by glazou <daniel@glazman.org>

Tuesday October 21st, 2003 3:18 AM

DL/DT/DD: known bug Prefs in standalone composer: yes I know. hey, that's a 0.0.1 what do you expect :)