Second Part of Introduction to Mozilla Firebird Series Explains Tabbed Browsing

Friday October 3rd, 2003

Morten W. Petersen writes: "Kay Frode has created another article on Mozilla Firebird, which explains how to use tabs for browsing.

"We've also updated the first article with instructions on how to use the installer. Any comments? Thanks."

#1 middle mouse button

by vfwlkr

Friday October 3rd, 2003 10:05 PM

An article on firebird's tab browsing should definitely cover opening links in new tabs by using the middle-click, and closing open tabs using middle-click. Also, that double click in tab-bar is equivalent of ctrl+T.

#9 Re: middle mouse button

by morphex <morten@nidelven-it.no>

Sunday October 5th, 2003 7:50 PM

The Ctrl-click feature should definently be added in there. As for the rest of the shortcuts, they're useful, but I think they'll confuse the novice/intermediate user so we won't be covering them.

We can always point the more advanced users to <http://texturizer.net/firebird/> :)

#2 Incorrect again

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Saturday October 4th, 2003 6:46 AM

"Mozilla Firebird has however added a very helpful function to the browser, tabbing."

First of all, Mozilla Firebird didn't add that feature. This feature was added after I introduced it with MultiZilla and got tons and tons of downloads. That's a fact and no bullshit!

#5 Re: Incorrect again

by kerz <jason@mozillazine.org>

Saturday October 4th, 2003 8:45 PM

No need for such language.

#6 Re: Re: Incorrect again

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Sunday October 5th, 2003 2:18 PM

Excuse me? What language? Wake up man, this guy is simply twisting the facts, so what do call that?

#10 Re: Re: Re: Incorrect again

by kerz <jason@mozillazine.org>

Sunday October 5th, 2003 8:36 PM

I'm wide awake, and I don't really care what you call it, but don't swear. Final warning. Have a nice day.

#15 Final Warning

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Monday October 6th, 2003 7:34 PM

"...but don't swear.." What? Is this about the single bullshit? If so, please be my guest.

#7 It seems

by googolplex

Sunday October 5th, 2003 4:51 PM

It seem that you just have a problem with Firebird in general and always have something to complain about on here.

I don't see this as saying that Firebird was the first browser with tabs. Anyways, if you wanted to be technical about it Opera had tabs before Multizilla.

Also, this is suppose to be an article for new users. They don't care where tabbed browsing came from especially when you'd have to explain that first it was in Opera then Multizilla then the Mozilla Suite then Camino then Firebird. No, that's not what this article is for. All teh author is saying is that they introduced this feature into Firebird. It doesn't say they invented it.

#8 Re: It seems

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Sunday October 5th, 2003 6:38 PM

"It seem that you just have a problem with Firebird in general..."

My criticism has nothing to do with mozilla Firebird, but with wrong or misleading information only. I am just used to work with facts, and facts only and I keep reading rubbish from time to time, that's all.

So he's in love with mozilla Firebird, cool for him, but that doesn't make him a good writer/editor.

#11 Well

by googolplex

Monday October 6th, 2003 9:54 AM

#12 Re: Well

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Monday October 6th, 2003 2:24 PM

"Well, you didn't respond to my valid points about the actual nature of the statement and why your interpretation of it is false."

What valid points? I don't see any valid points? LEts get back to your prior comment:

"I don't see this as saying that Firebird was the first browser with tabs."

Same for me, because I know where they came from.

"Anyways, if you wanted to be technical about it Opera had tabs before Multizilla."

This has nothing to do with being 'technical' but correctly informing people about facts. Also note that it was NetCaptor, and not Opera. Opera uses MDI, but I don't know *if* that has changed over time, but I don't care anyway.

"Also, this is suppose to be an article for new users"

I new users need that info So what? So you want to swamp new users with incorrect information?

"They don't care where tabbed browsing came from especially when you'd have to explain that first it was in Opera then Multizilla then the Mozilla Suite then Camino then Firebird."

Who are you, or anybody else to judge for them? Also note that your 'information' is incorrect. Again, it was Netcaptor, not Opera or MultiZilla.

"All teh author is saying is that they introduced this feature into Firebird. It doesn't say they invented it."

"they introduced this feature into Firebird"

Ha, mozilla Firebird 'introduced' a feature that's available in several other browser and add-ons for a long time. What a great 'introduction'.

Btw, here's a link to the dictionary: <http://dictionary.referen…e.com/search?q=introduced>

Do you seriously consider this information: <http://www.nidelven-it.no…ntroduction_to_firebird_2> to be correct, complete and usefull for new users? To limited in my point of view.

Lets take a very simple example: "How do you close tabs?" All I see is a way to open tabs.

note: tabbed browsing is already part of the mozilla help files!

It is good to see a lot of action, forums, new extensions and themes but it is and will always be just another mozilla based browser.

#13 Re: Re: Well

by googolplex

Monday October 6th, 2003 4:34 PM

The point is that new users don't need to know that information and if all those details were in there it would make a confusing document for new users. And yes I feel I can judge what would be confusing for them. For example, the majority of my family members wouldn't care about these details you want them to include in the document.

And no, I don't need the definition of "introduced". Thank you for pointing out your superiority. Clearly you don't appreciate anyone elses opinion.

It's reassuring, however, that kerz has taken note of this lack of civility.

#14 this issues is closed for me

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Monday October 6th, 2003 7:02 PM

"Your condescending tone is starting to get annoying. I'm trying to debate your points and you resort to calling me stupid."

Oh that might be annoying, however, you should stick to the facts. Lets get a snip of text:

"Heh? Are you stupid or just acting stupid? First of all, I didn't say a word about inventing tabs, where did this came from? Stick to the facts."

So I asked you *if* you are stupid or just act stupid, so I didn't call you stupid! Now why did I ask it? Easy, because I didn't say a word about inventing tabs, right? So where did this came from? Why did you wrote that?

So, yes, it is pretty annoying if people write stuff you didn't even mentioned!

"For example, the majority of my family members wouldn't care about these details you want them to include in the document."

I want them to include? Tell me exactly when/where I said/wrote that I want this information (about where the tabs came from) included? Again, that is not my point. My point is that some facts are wrong, that's all, nothing more nothing less. I for one don't care if this information goes in or not, as long as the information is right.

"Clearly you don't appreciate anyone elses opinion."

Hey, you may have your opinion, that's not an issue for me, so do I. Let me ask you another question: "Do you appreciate my opinion?".

"It's reassuring, however, that kerz has taken note of this lack of civility."

Lack of civility LOL And you want to debate with me? I am not even trying to be rude, don't get me wrong, but I simply hate it when people twist facts, and you're one of them. I write ABC and you try to make BCA of it, that is not the way it works, or should work.

#16 That's it.

by googolplex

Tuesday October 7th, 2003 9:58 AM

Maybe I should give you the definition of the word civil, but then again, that would be going to your level of personal attacks. I appreciate your opinion, I just don't like how it is being expressed.

I'm not going to continue this discussion - it's absurd. Thank you for being so pleasant. I shouldn't have even attempted to discuss this. It's not my responsibility to deal with rude people.

#17 Re: That's it.

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Tuesday October 7th, 2003 1:11 PM

Jeff, I am really sorry, and I want to apologize. I have a very bad time. I lost one of my best friends and expressed my frustration on you, and that is wrong of me. Again, I am a civil person but I just lost control of my frustration. He's number 19 in one year, that is also why I stepped out of it. Shit, I lost control, that's something new for me (:

#3 A use case and movie for tabbed browsing

by andyed

Saturday October 4th, 2003 8:13 AM

Indeed, the ctrl-click feature is one of the killer apps. Investigating a google result set is a compelling use case for this, see a short movie produced by the free camStudio windows system at: <http://uzilla.net/uzilla/…la/movies/whymoz_tabs.cfm>

Alas, the story gets pretty silly when we have to teach users that it's alt-enter not ctrl-enter in the url bar. Inconsistency like this dramatically reduces the learnability and satisfaction of users. The small payoff of transfer for power IE users use to ctrl-enter for www. .com expansion is not worth the ongoing pain in FB's killer app!

#4 Re: A use case and movie for tabbed browsing

by Qeantk <shopping@timocracy.com>

Saturday October 4th, 2003 10:21 AM

I concur. Hell, I slip up sometimes and use ctrl+enter, and I have been using it for a while now.