Lindows.com Contracts Daniel Glazman to Develop Composer-Based Editing Tool

Tuesday September 30th, 2003

Daniel Glazman has been contracted by Lindows.com to develop a new editing tool based on Composer, the Mozilla Web page editor. This news follows Daniel's earlier announcement that he is starting a company to continue the development of Composer. Thanks to Robert Accettura for the tip.

#1 The one thing we all want to know is ...

by DavidGerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 1:45 PM

... what -bird name will it have?!

(Seagull! ;-P )

#2 Reply

by Racer

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 1:51 PM

How about "goose" since the goose quill feather was the most commonly used ink writing instrument?

#11 WaterBird

by Galik

Wednesday October 1st, 2003 4:09 AM

No EarthBird, no wait PaperBird, no no no StoneBird! Or maybe AirBird?

#6 Re: The one thing we all want to know is ...

by JBassford <jasonb@dante.com>

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 4:19 PM

For some reason I'm under the impression that it was going to be "Moonbird" - although I can't point to a definitive source for that. It just seems as if I'd heard that somewhere before.

#8 Re: Re: The one thing we all want to know is ...

by seasleepy <seasleepy@yahoo.com>

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 10:33 PM

#9 Re: Re: Re: The one thing we all want to know is .

by Simplex

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 11:30 PM

Sunbird is for Calendar. It even says so in the article you linked...

#12 Re: Re: Re: Re: The one thing we all want to know

by seasleepy <seasleepy@yahoo.com>

Wednesday October 1st, 2003 8:25 AM

Der. That's what I get for posting when I'm tired.

#10 Re: Re: Re: The one thing we all want to know is .

by wiredearp

Wednesday October 1st, 2003 3:03 AM

Mozilla Birdie-nam?

#18 Re: I can't see how having a multi-billion dollar.

by bandido

Thursday October 2nd, 2003 5:11 AM

I like LadyBird. I know she was not a "car" ;-) but the First Lady was known for her good writing skills. I read years ago a collection of some of her letters and they were beautifully written.

#19 Re: I can't see how having a multi-billion dollar.

by bandido

Thursday October 2nd, 2003 5:39 AM

#3 GPL/MPL ?

by vfwlkr

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 3:01 PM

Will the tool he develops for lindows be covered under GPL or MPL ? i.e. Can it even become the next *bird?

#4 Re: GPL/MPL ?

by Anthracks

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 3:36 PM

As I understand the GPL, it's not possible to create a product based on something GPL'd (like Mozilla) and not also release the modified source. So hopefully, all his contributions will end up being submitted back to the main Mozilla project, which will be good for everyone.

#5 Mozilla is not just GPL

by bzbarsky

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 4:12 PM

> something GPL'd (like Mozilla)

Mozilla is under a much looser license than the GPL. The license says that if you want you can treat it as if it were GPL, but that there are other options too.

As a result, GPL code in fact _CANNOT_ be put directly into Mozilla. So if the new code is written under the GPL it cannot be contributed to Mozilla.org easily.

Which has no bearing on what glazou plans to do; I'm pretty sure he will attempt to land everything he can in cvs.m.o.

#7 Cool.

by sime

Tuesday September 30th, 2003 5:31 PM

Yep, anything Mozilla Composer is cool. Just the way of things currently it seems that the code will be put back into the Mozilla codebase. Well I hope so.

#13 kepardue

by kepardue

Wednesday October 1st, 2003 10:13 AM

I hope it doesn't take a *bird name. I'm sick of those. They sound like, "Hey, we're geeks trying to be cool" or something. I'd prefer just sticking to the proper component names, that's how they should be identified: Mozilla Browser, Mozilla Mail, Mozilla etc. I'll be glad with the 'codenames' pass and this happens. It's my understanding that this is what's going to happen with 1.6.

Kenneth

#14 Re: kepardue

by bzbarsky

Wednesday October 1st, 2003 10:26 AM

With 1.6? Not unless a lot changes before alpha ends.

#15 Re: kepardue

by roseman

Wednesday October 1st, 2003 2:53 PM

what about some new bird names? jailbird 1.2 tweety 0.6 encumbird 9.9 birdbrain 0.0 ok, that name won't fly *eww,sorry* wingman 2.0 a (monty) python-based browser named dead-parrot 0.0 birdseed 0.7 robertbyrd explorer 0.1 carrierpigeon 9.0 (mail client, of course) dodobird (wait, that is microsoft...)

#16 No bird names expected

by kb7iuj <ajvincent@hotmail.com>

Wednesday October 1st, 2003 5:19 PM

I had proposed "Songbird" to #composer, but glazou has made it quite clear he plans on calling his Composer app Composer++. Forget the birds.

"WeirdAl"

#17 Technicalities

by smkatz

Wednesday October 1st, 2003 9:18 PM

You can indeed add code that is under the GPL into the Mozilla tree.. it helps with compatibility if it is tri-licensed.. but it doesn't have to be. Glazman and other contributors make the call. I would say technically Mozilla Foundation is the major if not sole copyright holder based on the type of work being done.