Mozilla Adds Support for Internet Protocol Version 6 on Windows

Saturday September 13th, 2003

Mathew McBride writes: "People who wish to use something other than IE on Windows for IPv6 surfing can now use Mozilla. Bug 175340 has been marked RESOLVED FIXED. For people on Win2k/XP/2003 who don't have IPv6 installed, open a command prompt and run ipv6 install. You will also need to install the loopback adapter if you don't have a connected network interface." Microsoft's website has a section about Internet Protocol Version 6 with information and downloads.

#1 What's in it for an average web user?

by tseelee

Saturday September 13th, 2003 11:51 AM

Is there any benefit at this moment for the average web user from IPv6? Is it even available yet?

#3 Who Cares!

by doron

Saturday September 13th, 2003 12:25 PM

Enterprise customers are more important, they keep the project alive:

------- Additional Comment #2 From Bob Clary 2003-06-14 13:26 -------

from Briefing on New Defense Department Internet Protocol <<http://www.defenselink.mi…2003/tr20030613-0274.html>>

<quote> we're going to insist that acquisitions and programs that move on after the first of the next fiscal year, which is October, will be IP 6-compatible </quote>

IPv6 is not a luxury. We need to get this targetted.

#8 Re: An example, please...

by davew

Saturday September 13th, 2003 3:24 PM

I'm never sure how to answer this question. It's certainly available, working, and running in production on more networks, applications and OSes than you might think.

I suspect the "average web user", whatever such a beast may be, isn't interested in IPv6 or IPv4 or IPX or DECnet or avian carriers. OTOH that doesn't mean that it isn't important; it's being deployed at a good number of academic sites (especially in Europe) and commercially in the Far East, and commercial ISPs elsewhere are running their tests. It's getting to be a checkbox item - many of those that aren't already running it are investing in technologies that will last them two or three or four years and are wary to cover themselves for their eventual IPv6 introduction.

OTOH if the "average web user" finds out about this at all during the transition, then people like me (network engineer) haven't done our jobs properly. It Should Just Work. :)

#14 Re: Re: An example, please...

by tseelee

Sunday September 14th, 2003 7:48 AM

That's a great answer. Thanks.

#15 A Clarification

by tseelee

Sunday September 14th, 2003 8:09 AM

Alright, I think I've got a more concrete question. Is there any benefit -- in terms of speed, reliability, etc. -- for the "average" web user to enable IPv6 in WinXP and get the new mozilla nightlies today? Are there downsides (immaturity of products, etc.)?

#16 A Clarification

by tseelee

Sunday September 14th, 2003 8:23 AM

#18 Re: A Clarification

by GAThrawn

Monday September 15th, 2003 4:17 AM

It all depends who you mean by the "average web user" and what sort of timescale we're talking about.

There are already a number of closed intranets that have servers, sites and applications that you can't connect to unless you're using IPv6. Most average users in these environments will find out that some web browsers don't work with these apps, they won't know why, they won't want to know why, but the reason will be that their web browser or OS is unable to talk to the server using IPv6.

Similarly over time there will be more and more servers on the public internet that will be addressed using IPv6 addresses, at first they'll be using a backwards compatible part of the IPv6 range so that Ipv4 clients can connect, but eventually they'll start using IPv6 only addresses and without this support Mozilla will be "broken" accessing them.

#2 Hmm?

by wvh <wouter-mozzine@fort-knox.rave.org>

Saturday September 13th, 2003 12:08 PM

I've been using ipv6 already for a very long time with mozilla. In Linux, though. It works quite well, which can't always be said about ipv6 connectivity, although that's improving drastically now.

My ipv6-over-ipv4 tunnel is sometimes faster than my native ipv4 connection, which places too many hops and redirections between myself and international targets... My /48 (2^80 ips) subnet is connected to a big internet hub with abundant peering agreements, even when my provider once again fucks up my ipv4 connectivity at the border routers, I can still reach the internet through ipv6.

I just wish that more people would experiment and use ipv6. The internet was meant to be interconnectable, now we have ugly kludges like NAT, DHCP and firewalled lower ports which make it impossible to have access to the files on your computer from wherever you want. In some ways, the internet is going backwards, and I'm hoping ipv6 connectivity will improve some of these problems. At least, now with ipv6 I can connect to my computers at home from everywhere (ofcourse, through a firewall for security reasons), which makes the internet at least twice as useful. Think about it.

#12 Re: Hmm?

by sime

Saturday September 13th, 2003 7:12 PM

I thinking its strickly for Win32 ?

#4 Como?

by Simplex

Saturday September 13th, 2003 1:21 PM

What's "a connected network interface"? What's a loopback adapter?

I went and installed ipv6 on my XP Gold machine (which Mirosoft tells me is a developers release of ivp6). Now I'd like to try it. Can someone show me how I to use it? Aren't there odd-looking addresses now like http://2349sfdn348g9g98sg0984tn11/ or something?

Excuse my ignorance.

#13 Re: Como?

by mcbridematt

Sunday September 14th, 2003 6:05 AM

A loopback adapter is a one that simply emulates a network with only your PC on it.

If you don't have a ethernet cable connected/inactive wireless connection and use dialup, you will need to install the llopback adapter.

#5 An example, please...

by ksheka

Saturday September 13th, 2003 3:00 PM

Can someone please give a set of step-by-step instruction to get to a sample ipv6 website? Step 1 - download a Mozilla build of 9/13/2003 or later. Step 2 - at a command prompt, type: ipv6 install

Step 3 - ???

#6 Re: An example, please...

by davew

Saturday September 13th, 2003 3:09 PM

The canonical one is Kane - <http://www.kame.net/> - if you have IPv6 enabled the turtle should dance. :-)

<http://ftp.heanet.ie/> is also one of zillions that reports your connecting protocol and IP address.

#7 The instructions are worng

by adipose

Saturday September 13th, 2003 3:22 PM

"ipv6 install" does NOT work on windows 2000. To install ipv6 for windows 2000, go here:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com…/sdks/platform/tpipv6.asp>

-Dan

#9 Correction

by adipose

Saturday September 13th, 2003 3:25 PM

This allows you to install on windows 2000 SP1 only.

-Dan

#10 Instructions for SP3

by adipose

Saturday September 13th, 2003 3:26 PM

#11 By the way (SP4)

by adipose

Saturday September 13th, 2003 3:35 PM

If you follow the pattern, each NT service pack increases the number by 256. Therefore, for SP4, change the line to the following:

NtServicePackVersion=1024

I did this on Win2k SP4, and it installed fine.

-Dan

#17 ipv6 install fails

by jesse <jruderman@hmc.edu>

Sunday September 14th, 2003 8:49 PM

I'm using Windows XP. I typed "\i386\ipv6 install" at a DOS prompt and got this error:

IPV6.EXE - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point RtlIpv6StringToAddressExW could not be located in the dynamic link library iphlpapi.dll.

Failed to complete the action. Error 0x8007007f

#19 Skip the path

by bratell

Thursday September 18th, 2003 10:39 PM

Why the i386 path? ipv6 should already be installed in your path if you've installed WinXP. Just write

ipv6 install

#20 Re: Skip the path

by jesse <jruderman@hmc.edu>

Sunday October 19th, 2003 12:17 AM

The last time I added \i386\ to my path, WinXP refused to boot, and I had to call Dell tech support.

#23 Procedure error

by Bigherb

Sunday November 28th, 2004 4:51 AM

I recieve this message"The procedure entry point ??_7 nsquery interface@@6B@ could not be located in the dynamic link Library VPCOM.dll" What to do?

#21 IPv6 doesn't work in W2K

by jordipalet <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>

Saturday December 13th, 2003 4:46 PM

I believe that this has not been fixed.

I just installed in my Windows 2000, SP4, and is not working, while IE6.0 works (with IPv6 I mean, of course).

Can someone confirm ?

#22 IPv6 doesn't work in W2K

by jordipalet <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>

Sunday December 14th, 2003 2:17 AM

I believe that this has not been fixed.

Can someone confirm ?