Donation Challenge Aims to Get Mozilla Ported to Pocket PC

Tuesday September 9th, 2003

ParkerPS writes: "A new donation challenge has been made over at SourceSupport.org to port Mozilla over to the Pocket PC PDA platform. The requirement is just to port over the browser component and add some PDA specific features." A similar donation effort was launched a few months ago to get Mozilla ported to the Amiga.

#1 momozilla

by jilles

Tuesday September 9th, 2003 10:45 PM

A mobile version of mozilla might not be a bad idea at all. Currently most of the alternatives are proprietary. Additionally, XHTML is being pushed as the standard for mobile. Of course nobody seems to care about standards so there are already discussions on levels of compliance that are really needed etc.

So why not make a mobile mozilla and make sure it supports all major mobile operating systems (pocket pc, symbian, various embedded linux flavours, maybe even palmos)?

#19 "Maybe even PalmOS?"

by bmacfarland

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 8:36 PM

I think PalmOS having the most devices overall out there, should be the first priority. Handspring makes a far better convergence device (for at least me :) ), than anything I've seen out there. Just need the Treo 600 to have the power needed to run a decent browser.

#2 This would rock!

by antony <antonym@optushome.com.au>

Tuesday September 9th, 2003 11:33 PM

I'm currently looking at an iPaq H5550 that runs Pocket PC, and having "Pocket Mozilla" as an available option for browsing would rock my world! I'll be off to donate now...

#3 Firebird

by pjolliffe

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 12:51 AM

I think they would be better off conentrating on Firebird

#4 Re: Firebird

by jgraham

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 4:40 AM

I think it's pretty clear that Mozilla in this context would be different to either seamonkey or Firebird. The UI will need to be reworked to deal with the limited screen space, support for mobile specific features (the correct CSS media types, for example) and the strict memory requirments. That means, at the very least, using a bunch of the minimo complier options to strip out various features. If those are unacceptable changes then this project goal seems very difficult to acheive.

#9 Re: Where do people get this?

by doron

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 9:20 AM

They obviously want Gecko, the rendering engine, not firebird or seamonkey.

#5 Reply

by Racer

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 6:35 AM

Not to mention the fact that most Pocket PCs only come with around 32 MB of RAM (although they can be upgraded to as much as 256 MB) and some of this is already used by the OS. Also, most Pocket PC programs, even heavy ones, are expected to use less than 20 MB of RAM.

I suppose the port could be targetted at people with Pocket PCs with 64 MB of RAM or more, but even that is sometimes is a squeeze in Mozilla and would limit the Pocket PC owners who could use it. Firebird, being an attempt at a more streamlined client, sounds like a better idea. Also, eventually Thunderbird could be ported as well.

#7 memory use

by mlefevre

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 8:40 AM

If you look at the linked page, one of the requirements is that it should run in 24MB of available RAM.

This project sounds like a significant (if not impractical) amount of work. I can't imagine someone taking it on for the promised cash (so far) of $43!

#8 Re: memory use

by Tar

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 9:14 AM

On startup:

~15 MB K-Meleon/0.7.1 rv:1.3 Gecko/20030322

~16 MB Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1+ rv:1.5b Gecko/20030821

Some mild browsing with them didn't break 24 MB memory limit, both used ~22 MB, including ~3 MB mem cache for KM and ~2 MB mem cache for MFB. And since I have swap disabled on this box nothing was swaped out.

Based on this limited testing I'd guess it is quite possible memory wise to cram customized version of Gecko browser into 24 MB memory limit.

#16 Re: Reply

by ryampolsky <ryampols@cjds.com>

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 2:16 PM

...most Pocket PCs only come with around 32 MB of RAM ... and some of this is already used by the OS.

Just curious. Does 'some of this already used by the OS' include a non-removable copy of pocket Internet Explorer?

#21 64 Mb of RAM

by tuqui

Monday September 15th, 2003 8:07 PM

I'm using Firebird on a 64mb Pentium 133Mz running Linux. I think that if you compare X windows with a PDA enviroment it still workable.

#22 64 Mb of RAM

by tuqui

Monday September 15th, 2003 8:07 PM

#23 64 Mb of RAM

by tuqui

Monday September 15th, 2003 8:08 PM

#24 64 Mb of RAM

by tuqui

Monday September 15th, 2003 8:08 PM

#6 Mozilla for Pocket PCs, Linux PDAs...

by JuanGonzalez

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 8:17 AM

For example, there is already Opera browser for Linux PDAs (like the Sharp Zaurus SL5500), etc. Why not Mozilla?

Info at:

<http://www.opera.com/products/smartphone/products/>

<http://www.opera.com/products/smartphone/>

#10 Spell Checker

by nogwater

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 10:30 AM

This is such a cool idea, I created a project to implement a spell checker for mozilla forms. If you'd like to see this implemented, please donate.

[url]<http://www.sourcesupport.org/?project=43>[/url]

#11 Re: Spell Checker

by nogwater

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 10:31 AM

Oops. Thought I was using bbcode. <http://www.sourcesupport.org/?project=43>

#12 NTLM

by mkelley

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 11:11 AM

Wouldn't it be more important to get NTLM support in Mozilla for OS X and Linux than to make a PocketPC branch?

#14 Reply

by Racer

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 12:50 PM

The project to port Mozilla to Pocket PC is not an official Mozilla project, AFAIK. Some person or group just decided to set up a fund and try to get suppport for it. Its along the same lines as the Amiga port. An extreme example would be a Commodore 64 port :)

#13 Sweet.

by zarggg <zarggg@zarggg.net>

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 12:41 PM

I have *so* been waiting for this to happen.

#15 Memory Leaks FIXED!!

by JShadow

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 1:12 PM

Finally!! Used to be that after about 4 hours at work of closing and opening tabs that I'd have to either reboot or restart Mozilla. Those days are gone, my GDI usage is now stable with Mozilla 1.4.1, which means my overall computing is more stable too at this point. YAY!!! :)

#17 yes.... no

by apathetic

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 3:18 PM

This would be excellent.

No no no no no. I totally disagree with the principle of a web browser butchering content to fit on to the small screen (ie, Opera's ability to dismantle tables into a narrow layout). Mozilla on PPC simply needs to correctly handle CSS media types for handheld devices. Scrollbars and CSS handles the rest.

#18 Re: yes.... no

by JuanGonzalez

Wednesday September 10th, 2003 4:22 PM

>> Must ad a PDA view mode that intellegently scales web content to best fit in the PDAs screen

> (...)

> ie, Opera's ability to dismantle tables into a narrow layout

I don't know, but if it is just one of the view options that would be available in Mozilla, it seems quite good.

If you wish to see, just with your desktop computer, how your favorite sites look with Opera in the small screen of PDAs, just download Opera 7 if you don't have it, open any webpage and hit Shift+F11. Very interesting. ;)

#20 Re: Re: yes.... no

by apathetic

Thursday September 11th, 2003 2:10 AM

I disagree with this because there is no standard way to scale pages to the small screen. This feature would have to exactly match the feature in Opera, or pages should be left to render as the W3C intended.

#25 Horizontal web browsing

by stream

Tuesday March 8th, 2005 9:18 PM

I think it would be incredibly awesome if minimo was shown horizontally on the PocketPC, similar to how thunderhawk display's images. This is very helpful to have a closer ratio of browsing.