Mozilla Thunderbird 0.2 Released

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003

The second milestone of Mozilla Thunderbird, mozilla.org's standalone mail and newsgroups client, has been released. Based on Mozilla 1.5 Beta, Thunderbird 0.2 features a redesigned Options dialogue, spell checker improvements, enhancements to the default theme and better performance and stability. Check out the Mozilla Thunderbird 0.2 Release Notes for more information and get a build from ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/0.2.

#1 Ha, mozillazine beats mozillanews!

by vfwlkr

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003 4:16 PM

And Musings <http://weblog.wlkr.net> beat mozillazine, and adot's notblog <http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa> beat everyone!

Not that any of this happened the first time though ;-)

#18 Re: Ha, mozillazine beats mozillanews!

by grahams

Thursday September 4th, 2003 11:20 AM

Who cares.

#20 Re: Re: Ha, mozillazine beats mozillanews!

by vfwlkr

Thursday September 4th, 2003 11:24 AM

This was meant to be a joke

#2 triviality

by amr

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003 4:37 PM

But did I beat Musings? ;)

#3 Re: triviality

by vfwlkr

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003 8:14 PM

you were about 2 hours late ;)

#4 Re: triviality

by amr

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003 8:27 PM

Damn you mods and your insider info. ;)

I couldn't evangelize on an empty stomach.

#19 Re: Re: triviality

by vfwlkr

Thursday September 4th, 2003 11:24 AM

No Insider info here.. I just saw it on <http://www.gemal.dk/mozilla/blogupdates.html> and promptly updated.

#5 Windows Installer

by Jack_Comics

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003 8:29 PM

While I'm sure the mozdev.org Thunderbird 0.2 Windows Installer will be up within a day or even less, for those who can't wait I put up my own. You can download it at <http://www.apparition.org…Thunderbird-0.2-setup.exe>

Enjoy!

#6 Screenshots?

by mpthomas

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003 10:02 PM

Anyone got screenshots, for those of us on non-Thunderbird platforms? :-) (I'm interested to see if anything sophisticated has been done with the composition window and the Options dialog, especially.)

#8 Re: Screenshots?

by dneighbo <derek@gnue.org>

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003 11:14 PM

Here are some screenshots for you.

Options Dialog: <http://www.gnuenterprise.…tings_remove_htmlmail.png>

Composing New Email: <http://www.gnuenterprise.…v0.2_compose_new_mail.png>

Opening Screen: <http://www.gnuenterprise.…rbirdv0.2_open_screen.png>

Options->Advanced: <http://www.gnuenterprise.…v0.2_options_advanced.png>

Options->General: <http://www.gnuenterprise.…dv0.2_options_general.png>

Hope this helps some. I know that I was bummed I couldn't find screenshots when I was debating whether to install. :)

#10 Re: Screenshots?

by mpthomas

Thursday September 4th, 2003 1:32 AM

Thankyou very much, dneighbo. The new theme does look nice, but apart from the new category menu, I don't see any improvements in the UI underneath yet. For example:

* it still has a throbber (what does it think it is, a Web browser?)

But then, I suppose it is only version 0.2. A long way to go yet. :-)

#13 Re: Screenshots?

by thelem

Thursday September 4th, 2003 3:00 AM

> it still has a throbber (what does it think it is, a Web browser?)

I use IMAP and I think the throbber is essential - otherwise I wouldn't know if a message is blank, or if it is still loading. I think it also shows when you are waiting for the server to respond when checking your mail.

#14 Hmm

by Quark

Thursday September 4th, 2003 4:55 AM

> * it still has a throbber (what does it think it is, a Web browser?)

You have that much of a problem with right-clicking the toolbar, selecting customize, and click dragging the throbber off?

#17 throbber

by jedbro

Thursday September 4th, 2003 11:17 AM

>>* it still has a throbber (what does it think it is, a Web browser?)

You obviously don't use it. If you did you would see why the throber IS usefull. In any case, you can remove it from the toolbar via the customize menu.

#26 Re: Re: Screenshots?

by robdogg

Thursday September 4th, 2003 3:01 PM

You are right, throbbers are useless here. What's needed is a progress bar to tell me how much of an attachment has been downloaded or something like that.

#27 Concerns

by dneighbo <derek@gnue.org>

Thursday September 4th, 2003 5:20 PM

--concern-- * "OpenPGP" and "S/MIME" labels for buttons in the toolbar will be nonsensical to most humans (they're important, but they should be translated into English -- though perhaps this is the fault of Enigmail, rather than Thunderbird?); --concern--

They are from Enigmail. I have been really impressed with Enigmail it does better at GNUPGP than about anything I have touched. Made a lot of user strides for making keys. HOWEVER, it blows goats you have to install it as a separate package to Thunderbird. :(

--concern-- * it still has a throbber (what does it think it is, a Web browser?) --concern--

I don't much like this either. It just feels wierd. However, it is removable.

--concern-- * the Advanced options panel is a mess (stray periods, excess indentation, confusing variance between using checkboxes for turning things off and using them for turning things on, and the "Passwords" text was written by someone at the Department of Redundancy Department) --concern--

Yes this is a chief complaint of most UI designs today. Inconsistency and redundancy. FWIW: This particular page is entiirely new (to my knowledge) and one reason I included screen shot of it.

--concern-- * no attempt, in the composition window _layout_, to reduce the frequency of common e-mail mistakes (forgetting to add an attachment and forgetting to specify a meaningful subject line). --concern--

I am curious to know how you would do a UI to prevent forgetting attachments, but it definitely could be useful. :)

#7 Linux builds without gtk2???

by turrican

Wednesday September 3rd, 2003 10:23 PM

Aren't there Linux builds without the requirement of gtk2??? I can't understand it, because the 'official' seamonkey and firebird builds come along without this condition, too, so this can't be necessary. And one should think that all builds of a 'toolkit' like firebird + thunderbird have the same system requirements.

#12 Re: Linux builds without gtk2???

by cdn

Thursday September 4th, 2003 2:23 AM

it's still early days, and there are no dedicated Tb build machines afaik

#9 No news for BiDi users

by Prognathous

Thursday September 4th, 2003 12:05 AM

Nothing new with Bug 119857 ("There is no way to set the reading/composing directionality via the UI")... :-

Prog.

#11 Thunderbirds are go!

by arielb

Thursday September 4th, 2003 2:13 AM

yeah yeah i watch techtv sometimes...I'm dloading thunderbird for the first time

#15 /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not

by raj2569

Thursday September 4th, 2003 7:15 AM

When I tried to run in my HD installed knoppix I get this error..

raj@swathi:~/tmp$ ./thunderbird/thunderbird ./thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by /home/raj/tmp/thunderbird/libnspr4.so)

Any one else got this? Any fix?

raj

#21 Re: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' no

by user4321

Thursday September 4th, 2003 11:45 AM

Yeah, I'm getting it too. It's because the person compiling the Linux builds has a newer version of glibc than is available in Debian (and therefore, Knoppix).

You can fix it by replacing libnspr4.so with a version from an older build of Thunderbird.

#29 Re: Re: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2

by d91b4f

Wednesday September 24th, 2003 2:43 PM

Any chance someone could put the relevant (old) file up on the web somewhere, I'm looking to try thunderbird but am definitely not messing with glibc to do it!!

#30 Re: Re: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2

by otted

Sunday March 7th, 2004 9:21 AM

it's not true ;)

i'm since 4 days here crazying about this error: ./thunderbird-bin: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by /home/otted/src/thunderbird/libnspr4.so)

i've tried to substitute libnspr4.so with an older build (0.1 0.2 0.4) of thund, but it doesn't work yet.

any other idea? i'm using slack 9.1 and i've this version of glibc: * sys-libs/glibc Latest version available: 2.3.2-r1 Latest version installed: 2.3.2-r1 Size of downloaded files: 13,417 kB

thanks in advance

ciao otted

#16 Profile forward compatability?

by komlenic <mozillazine@komlenic.com>

Thursday September 4th, 2003 10:20 AM

From the release notes: "Thunderbird 0.2 uses the same profile as Thunderbird 0.1. You will not lose any of your mail settings when upgrading to this release."

....which is great, but leaves me wondering if future releases will require the creation of a new profile (or "break" old profiles). Obviously TB is a work-in-progress, but it seems to work well with few major bugs, and several great features (like spam filtering). The point is, that I'd like to start recommending TB to people, but am wondering at what point (or release) TB's profiles can be considered "frozen" and assured to be forward compatible.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

#22 Themes not working?

by Tarraccas

Thursday September 4th, 2003 11:48 AM

Themes aren't working for me. I can select a new Theme but it remains the default Qute, regardless, even after restarting Thunderbird. Is anyone else having this issue?

#23 Re: Themes not working?

by bzbarsky

Thursday September 4th, 2003 1:24 PM

Do these themes work with 1.5b? The skinVersion changed in this release of tbird, just like it changed in 1.5b and the current firebird builds.

#24 Re: Re: Themes not working?

by Tarraccas

Thursday September 4th, 2003 2:31 PM

They're themes from <http://www.texturizer.net/thunderbird/themes.html> - I understand the skin version changes but I couldn't get even the most up to date themes to work. I just got two of them to work but only after I closed Thunderbird via the File->Exit (Ctrl+Q) vs. the close window [x] button in the upper right corner. Doesn't seem to make a difference now. Perhaps I was in the Thunderbird Twilight Zone?

#25 Whoohoo

by Zulithe

Thursday September 4th, 2003 2:37 PM

Great job Thunderbird team! I won't be using Thunderbird till it supports yEnc (sure is taking a long time!), until then Outlook Express is good enough for me

#28 Re: Whoohoo

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Thursday September 4th, 2003 5:34 PM

"I won't be using Thunderbird till it supports yEnc (sure is taking a long time!)"

I believe Thunderbird already supports yEnc decoding (not certain though; don't use it myself) but yEnc encoding support isn't planned because it's not a standard. See bug 119964.

Alex