Mozilla Activism Online Store Launches

Wednesday August 13th, 2003

Ryan Eilders wrote in to tell us that he has started a Mozilla Activism CafePress.com shop, which sells a variety of Mozilla-branded products. All profits will be donated to Mozilla-based projects.

#1 Mozilla fan to the... heart

by Ashato

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 3:14 AM

I pretty much like the Mozilla thong. Some kind of specialized activism, maybe.

#2 Re: version optimized for athlon

by Sho

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 3:25 AM

Finally! I collect mugs from various open-source and other geeky projects I like. Plus, it's time to replace my worn SGI mousepad. Wonderful idea! Ordering right now!

#3 Netscape Stuff

by TonyG <tony.gorman@blueyonder.co.Yuk>

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 6:05 AM

Guys. Is there anywhere you can buy Netscape merchandise. I lost my precious Netscape mug and although I am going to get a Mozilla replacement, I'd like a Netscape one as well.

#4 style over substance

by amr

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 6:33 AM

I've not been impressed with CafePress' merchandise quality in the past (images seem blurry, fade quickly after washings), but anything that helps promote Mozilla is OK with me...IF profits (after CP gets their cut, natch) go to Mozilla.

#5 Hmm, okay

by sime

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 7:14 AM

Im not really a fan of CafePress stuff from the point of window shopping value, note that I have yet to buy something from them. To me it kinda speaks of the easy was to merchandise stuff. Im really keen on getting a shirt that the Mozilla hackers get (cvs write access?).

I guess by there setup (i.e. super imposing mozilla images) that they print on demand, I cant see that ever working. I would be more likly to support something offered by <http://www.copyleft.net> or <http://thinkgeek.com/>

#6 low quality frisbee

by mschurter

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 7:43 AM

where's the 175 gram official ultimate weight disc? that thing from cafepress won't fly for 10 feet. at least there's a thong.

#7 so much for variety...

by lazytiger

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 11:21 AM

I'm talking about the logo, not the array of objects that it's printed on. What about all the other Mozilla logos/designs? Man, it doesn't take much thought to contact Cafe Press and say, "Hey, put this one logo on every single product you offer." I would hope that the Mozilla Foundation could be a little more creative than that. The logo that's being used isn't even that great. And it's only one color (I imagine that was intentional). I hope this is just to test the water before they come out with some *good* logo merchandise.

#8 Re: so much for variety...

by Ashato

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 11:40 AM

I really don't think the Moz. Foundation is behind all this. See the previoux news "Giant Lizard Attacks North Poland with Posters and Stickers", that's where the idea -and logo- come from.

#9 Re: so much for variety...

by lazytiger

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 6:47 PM

I know the Foundation isn't behind this... that's why I commented that I hope the Foundation comes out with some *real* merchandise that's cool. This is not cool. This is taking a mediocre logo that was used in Poland and then making a 5 minute phone call to Cafe Press telling them to paste this logo on everything they offer. I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad some Mozilla merchandise exists, but hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg.

#10 comment from creator

by ryanbroken

Wednesday August 13th, 2003 7:09 PM

the moz. foundation isn't behind this. this is all my doing. all the logos were created at a 300dpi to ensure the best quality possible.

i didn't call cafepress. i did all this on my own resizing the same graphic to fit the different products. i'm no responsible for the quality of the product, take that up with cafepress. they were just the easiest people to get something up like that quick.

#11 Re: comment from creator

by szczym <szczym@bzzz.net>

Friday August 15th, 2003 9:41 AM

hi ryan

im szczym, the poster guy from obin.org please contact with me --> szczym at bzzz dot net

thanx, cio

#12 I needed to fill out the Title field.

by cag

Sunday August 17th, 2003 6:15 AM

"if you don't want to buy the stuff, fine, but if you do, all, and i mean ALL, the profits will be benefiting different mozilla projects."

I think its a great idea what yer doin, but the products do look rather bland. And its not particularly because of the logo really... I guess that plain white w/ red seems kinda boring to me. I think white grafix on red would look much better.

I gotta say, the only items that really appeal to me on there is the hats, mugs, stickers/posters, etc.

Maybe you should try to drum up some support of some creative bastards to come up with some clever ideas for the merchandise (like funny or wicked designs n whatever).

Great start though... :D