Citibank Online Now Compatible with Mozilla

Wednesday August 6th, 2003

dave writes: "Not sure if this counts as newsworthy, but: Bug #57074 — Citibank's online banking denies access to Mozilla — has finally been resolved as FIXED after 2 and a half years! Thanks to Citibank for persuing Web standards as part of their online strategy. You can access their online banking portal here."

#1 Next up...

by djg

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 11:45 AM

..<A HREF="<https://www.nwolb.com>">Natwest</a>

#11 Re: Next up...

by janahan

Thursday August 7th, 2003 1:31 AM

Natwest OLB DOES work wih Natwest. Its just a silly Useragent detector that prevents it. You can fool Netwest into thinking you are using IE using the prefs bar (first access the page using Mozilla in non spoofed mode, so that Natwest will realise there is a demand for access via Mozilla)

Netscape 4.x also can access the site.

The current reason that Mozilla is not allowed, is because they havent tested the security model (a flawed arguement).

But it does work, and i use it often.

J

#14 But

by djg

Thursday August 7th, 2003 5:49 AM

>Natwest OLB DOES work wih Natwest. Its just a silly Useragent detector that prevents it.

Yes, but that is a world of difference.

#19 Next up...

by djg

Thursday August 7th, 2003 7:22 AM

heh..I C'n'P'ed the text without noticing the typo...Must read posts before replying!

#15 Re: Re: Next up...

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Thursday August 7th, 2003 5:58 AM

"Natwest OLB DOES work wih Natwest."

That doesn't surprise me.

Alex

#16 Ooops!

by janahan

Thursday August 7th, 2003 6:05 AM

ok ok, i MEANT to say

Natwest OLB works with Mozilla :) Sorry!

#21 Re: Next up...

by timothyr <tim@richardson.net>

Thursday August 7th, 2003 12:14 PM

The Australian CPA website (Society of Professional Accountants, which is the third largest such body in the world thanks to a lot of Asian members) very recently made the change to standards compliance, so it works very nicely in Mozilla. You would expect such a body to follow standards, which was of course pointed out to them. The site is mainly for members only, but here is the link: <http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/> And meanwhile, I see Mozilla browser shares increasing both at my site, which is small, and at <http://www.philips.com>, which is high traffic site (I did an analysis of the weblog which is availabe on the Philips intranet). <http://www.tim-richardson…a/archives/00000016.shtml>

#2 Web standards?

by doron

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 11:52 AM

It has nothing to do with web standards - a site can work in mozilla and not comply with any web standard.

#3 It's worked for at least a year.

by ryampolsky <ryampols@cjds.com>

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 11:52 AM

I've been using Mozilla to access Citibank Online for at least a year now.

I think if you went to <http://www.citibank.com>, they blocked you, but if you went directly to the online site (<http://www.citibankonline.com>, I think), it just worked.

Either way, it's nice to see Mozilla's now 'officially supported'.

#4 Citibank fixed this in late 2002

by Racer

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 12:17 PM

Citibank has worked with Mozilla/Netscape since late 2002. In fact, on 2003-01-02 it was reported that from <http://www.citibank.com> a Moz user could easily log on and use Citibank accounts without any errors or "Mozilla is evil" messages. The bug in question listed a different, apparrently out-of-date, URL. That URL doesn't work because it has not been updated in years...because nobody uses it. (See comment 38 of the bug for more info).

#5 Citibank UK online banking rejects Firebird

by glawrie <gavin.lawrie@2gc.co.uk>

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 12:54 PM

Long suffering Citibank Internet Banking users in the UK continue to endure the IE only curse. (go to <http://www.citibank.co.uk/uk/> to try). Access only appears possible on Windows machines via IE. Does anyone know a way to get around this? IE remains my default browser because of this... hopefully one day the US developments will reach UK.

Upside is that the system does work on OS X Macintosh version of IE. Downside is MS say this is to be discontinued...

#23 Re: Citibank UK online banking rejects Firebird

by vicne

Friday August 8th, 2003 1:08 AM

So do other non-US Citibank sites. I have trouble with <http://www.citibank.be/ebank/2.asp> (Click "Login to Citibank Online" on the right -> Blank page). What is the best way to act up ? Does someone know if Citibank has separate online banking applications on a per-country basis ? Seems so...

#29 Re: Citibank UK online banking rejects Firebird

by ukpeterr

Monday August 11th, 2003 10:20 AM

This is due to pop-up blocking.

If you add this URL: <https://cukehb3.cd.citibank.co.uk> to your pop-up white list. It will work (at least it works for me :))

Pete

#6 What about Citibank Virtual Account Numbers?

by tt_toe

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 1:47 PM

I have never had any problems with Mozilla on Citbank's web site, but will this fix the not being able to drag-and-drop account numbers with Citibank's Virtual Account Number application? I have been using (and quite happy with) their stand-alone version of the application on my Win2k box.

I have been thinking of filing a bug about this since it doesn't work with Mozilla. I have to type the numbers in and risk botching it up or if I'm really lazy just use IE which works fine. I'm not sure what plugin Citibank uses for the Virtual Account Number application.

Thanks for fixing this bug though...

#7 Ciricards

by Akai

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 2:22 PM

I've been using the on-line credit card side of things (wwww.citicards.com, used to be <http://www.accountonline.com>) forever with no trouble with Mozilla.

I've even used the virtual account numbers web version. you just need to disable popup blocking and have the flash pluging and it seems to work.

#8 Re: Ciricards

by mikemarco

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 3:23 PM

Same here. I've never had a problem using Mozilla to manage my credit card. In fact, it works beautifully, down to their DHTML dropdown menus. Rarely have I had an IE-only online banking experience--I must be one of the lucky ones.

#20 Re: Ciricards

by GregV

Thursday August 7th, 2003 9:12 AM

Yeah, but the drop-down menus only worked in Mozilla after their most recent site update. Before you had to click on the title and be taken to a page equivalent. I remember writing to them about this, and I included two or three links to sites with drop-down menus that worked across browsers. They never replied, but I guess they listened, which is good enough for me :)

#9 Banking problems

by dtobias <dan@tobias.name>

Wednesday August 6th, 2003 6:29 PM

I've used the Citicards site too with no problems. The same with my bank's site (Wachovia, formerly First Union).

#10 Not only citibank

by jimich

Thursday August 7th, 2003 1:15 AM

A lot of bank has an online access wich worked with IE and Netscape 4.7 ans no more with Mozilla or Netscape >= 6 ... It seems a problem of java virtual machine Examples:

1) <http://www.cbc.be/> (click on "CBC online, Banque en ligne" on left ... with IE or netcape 4.7, it is working, with mozilla, we have a user manual with the minimal configuration to use the web site ...)

2) <http://www.bacob.be/> (click on "Bacob Direct Net Start" above the screen ... They checks and say it is only for IE and Netcape 4.x ...

What are the main changes between Netscape 4.x and mozilla/Netscape >= 6 for the JVM ???

#13 JVM changes

by leafdigital

Thursday August 7th, 2003 2:51 AM

The JVM is entirely different.

Netscape 4 used a built-in Java 1.1 JRE with Symantec JIT compiler (if I recall correctly).

Mozilla/NS6+ use current versions (1.3+) of Sun's own JRE.

Any Java issues are therefore really to do with Sun, and have nothing to do with Mozilla. The same issues will affect Internet Explorer if you install Java 1.4 from Sun's site. (You can turn this off in IE and let it go back to using its own internal MS JRE if you like, there's an option in preferences.)

For example, my bank's applet works fine in current JRE versions... except that all the text displays as ? symbols. A bit hard to deal with when you have to know which of the five possible security questions it's asking... :)

The appropriate solution is for banks to ensure that their applet works correctly under the current Java version (1.4.2) and not just in the six-year-old 1.1 version that shipped with legacy browsers. But I can understand why they may have been a bit lax in this, and Sun do deserve some of the blame because Java isn't as backward-compatible as it ought to be. (I.e. 1.4 JREs should be able to run all code written for 1.1 JREs really, but in practice they only run *almost* all of it.) Of course it is also possible that the offending applets were poorly written and relied on undocumented features, in which case it's not really Sun's fault after all, but I wouldn't bet on that.

--sam

#27 JVM integration

by jeti

Friday August 8th, 2003 11:49 PM

> Any Java issues are therefore really to do with Sun, > and have nothing to do with Mozilla.

That's only half of the truth. Sometimes Java browser integration is just flaky. For example, one of my own games did work within the Java 1.4.1 applet viewer. But in Mozilla + JRE 1.4.1, portions of the applet display were invalidated without sending the applet any update events.

(I just checked and updates of either Firebird or Java seem to have fixed that particular prblem.)

#12 Fixed?

by wvh <wouter-mozzine@fort-knox.rave.org>

Thursday August 7th, 2003 2:51 AM

This doesn't look 'fixed'. They just had a complete site update.

That said, I'm very happy to never have had any issues on personal banking sites I use; but the main sites itself are in a sad, sad state when it comes to standards compliance. I don't know why the financial industry, more than any other, swears by Microsoft software, both for it's servers and clients (tested browsers). Bah.

If only people would send out an email upon visiting IE-only pages, things would change fast enough when webmasters are swamped with links to the anybrowser campaign or to the w3c.

#18 Re: Fixed?

by FrodoB

Thursday August 7th, 2003 6:49 AM

Not as much as health care (and since I'm a software developer for a health care software company, I should know :) ). And at least some banks use OS/2 (fewer now than before, of course, but it's stable and they've got the software...).

#17 Not only citibank

by jimich

Thursday August 7th, 2003 6:38 AM

OK ... i understand ... it's clear ... Yes ... I've had the case by updating the java 1.4 ... and even IE didn't works on the bank site, because the sun JVM had replaced the microsoft JVM ...

#22 Always worked for me.

by aebrahim

Thursday August 7th, 2003 5:29 PM

I've never had a problem with this before. <http://www.citibankonline.com> has always worked for me in the past.

#24 constructive criticism rather than flaming

by jilles

Friday August 8th, 2003 2:40 AM

The evangelism effort could be much more effective if it was a bit more constructive. I think a step forward would be if in addition to the bug database with known offenders there would be an easily accessible page (e.g. one link from mozilla.org) with successtories (e.g. the Wired transition to XHTML), advice on how to resolve incompatibilities, pointers to newsgroups and forums for resolving nasty css, html issues and so on. The page should not focus on standards but on practical advice for minimum efforts to convert non compatible sites to compatible sites.

Of course once this page exists (if not already), it needs to be advertised. It needs to show up in google, all the relevant mozilla sites should refer to it. If a developer makes a lame effort at finding stuff on mozilla this should be the first resource they stumble upon.

Ignorance is the primary cause of incompatibilities. Pointing out that someone is ignorant is not very helpful and is more likely to piss people off than to resolve any compatibility issues. Better offer help than criticism.

#25 Good idea

by djg

Friday August 8th, 2003 6:54 AM

I think. But maybe more suitable for somewhere like - <http://www.webstandards.org/>

#26 Also..

by djg

Friday August 8th, 2003 6:55 AM

#28 Feedroom

by Tar

Saturday August 9th, 2003 5:34 AM

In a related note <http://www.feedroom.com/> is now viewable with RealOne embedded in Mozilla, during the Iraqi liberation/spectacle/invasion it was only usable with MSIE. Story selection on the left doesn't work but it's a start that the feeds work at all.