Mozilla's Global Usage Share Now at 1.6 Percent
Sunday July 27th, 2003
thelem writes: "OneStat.com have released their latest browser usage data. It's as expected, IE6 has made big gains at the expense of IE5, Netscape 4 has made losses and Mozilla and Safari have made gains." thelem adds that IE now has a global usage share of 95.4% (up 0.1 percentage points since February), Mozilla 1.6% (up 0.4 percentage points), Netscape Navigator 4.x 0.6% (down 0.4 percentage points), Opera 6.0 0.6% (down 0.1 percentage points) and Safari 0.25% (up 0.14 percentage points). "These figures show similar trends to those being reported by thecounter.com, although thecounter.com puts mozilla usage at around 2.2%."
#10 Sometimes it comes down to economics ... sometimes
Monday July 28th, 2003 12:21 AM
You are replying to this message
Let me preface this by saying that I understand that a monopoly in the browser market would be disastrous for any kind of standards implementation.
But when it comes down to sheer economics, if a site builder can *better* serve 95% of his/her audience by quietly sacrificing the remaining 5%, then many site builders are going to do it. And in the cold, hard light of business/money-making who would blame them?
As long as the percentage of build time required for cross-browser implementation is higher than the actual market share using that browser, you're going to have people drawing the line close to their main market.
And remember that cross browser implementation does not just mean get it working in Mozilla. It also means Opera, Konqueror and Safari. So that 5% time remainder gets broken up into small, but very complicated pieces.
All that said, I hope the W3C specs get more specific, and that underdog browser manufacturers get it right and have their day to shine.